Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:34 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4718post #70756 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:14ampost #70757 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:21ampost #70758 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:40ampost #70759 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:43amQuote:
^ +1. Rare shell scarcity is a myth.
Mike, Wear all the shoes in good health. You are clearly mad for Alden shoes, shell, and Ravello. Kudos to you I say.
Cheers.post #70760 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:45ampost #70761 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:52ampost #70762 of 1224161/10/14 at 10:58ampost #70763 of 1224161/10/14 at 11:24ampost #70764 of 1224161/10/14 at 11:25ampost #70765 of 1224161/10/14 at 11:32ampost #70766 of 1224161/10/14 at 1:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tommi
Yet another pair of Aldens. My 7th maybe? I've lost count of them. 3rd Alden shell pair in any case.
A rare cap-toe blucher model (with double leather sole) which fit me very nicely and look exquisite. They are the most versatile shoes I can imagine right now. However, I'm a bit concerned about having too many pairs of shoes already and of course I invested a considerable amount of money in them, so it would be a pity if I wouldn't use them much. I'm kind of afraid that longwings and other shoes that fit my style best marginalize them.
Only one man's opinion, but here goes...
My casual workplace precludes me from having much use for many pairs of dress shoes. But, even if I did have the opportunity to wear dress shoes more often, I don't think I'd buy/wear a captoe blucher. Its very existence seems rather odd duck to me; to me, straight captoe says "dress shoe" and blucher says "casual shoe". Obviously, the double sole and the cordovan take it down a level or two on the the formality scale; but, even with that combo, I still find the straight cap blucher "off". I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I'm even put off by most punch cap bluchers, though not as much as straight cap bluchers.post #70767 of 1224161/10/14 at 1:30pmpost #70768 of 1224161/10/14 at 1:30pmpost #70769 of 1224161/10/14 at 1:33pmpost #70770 of 1224161/10/14 at 1:33pmAlden's captoes in boots and in balmorals are among my favorite styles... I don't have any captoe bluchers but a lot of people love them. Among bluchers, I prefer the plain toe, NST and LWB. For dressier occasions, it's hard to beat Alden's balmoral captoes in straight tip or in punch toe. The captoe blucher seems more of a "If I owned one shoe, I would get these because it works great with suits and jeans" kind of option, but it probably would start to get left behind in a bigger collection.
All this probably sounds strange coming from someone with two (and soon to be three) straight tip captoe boots, which straddle the dress/casual line even more, but I think those are among Alden's best styles.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Currently, there are 1176 Active Users (146 Members and 1030 Guests)
- › GEORGE Cleverley double monks in very good condition 8E box bags trees 20 seconds ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › The Rise and Rise of Donald J Trump 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 7 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 18 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 24 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 28 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 30 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...