or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4656  

post #69826 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post


Depends entirely on each model and how you plan to wear it. Love the antique trim on my new tankers but prefer my JCrew Captoe boots with dark trim. Could I be happy swapping the trim on those? Absolutely, but given that option I wouldn't do it.

 

Indeed. I do prefer my captoe boots with the dark trim too. I think it's better match with the kind of "military" aesthetics (black and commando soles).

 

Was actually talking about bluchers in dark shades, so basically black shell or #8.

post #69827 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post


Depends entirely on each model and how you plan to wear it. Love the antique trim on my new tankers but prefer my JCrew Captoe boots with dark trim. Could I be happy swapping the trim on those? Absolutely, but given that option I wouldn't do it.

 

I actually fall on the opposite side of the spectrum.  Considering the relatively casual look of Alden's boots, I prefer the antique edge trim with color 8.

post #69828 of 122416
Heading over to Alden SF today anyone want anything? lol
post #69829 of 122416
^ @brp2 - I hear you. If they ever did a version on commando with antique trim, I'd buy it. Or if Leffot does that to its naval boots. I really like the makeup and could justify 2 very close versions of the same thing.
post #69830 of 122416
Light edge trim makes the boots more casual... Dark edge captoe boot and wingtip boots are basically dress boots. Of course with bluchers and balmorals, this effect is more exaggerated (meaning dark trim can be very dressy while light edge trim can be very casual).
Edited by Alcibiades - 12/28/13 at 8:54am
post #69831 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post

Heading over to Alden SF today anyone want anything? lol
Do me a solid phaseshift. Any Alden shell boot in 11.5D barrie/12D plaza. Thanks, BeSpiff
post #69832 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francks View Post

yea there are many possible combinations. I guess that for unlined versions the style number is different too?

Anyway what guys do you prefer between the classic look - dark trim with a dark color such as #8 - and the new trend with the antique trim? 

classic look nod[1].gif
post #69833 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post

Heading over to Alden SF today anyone want anything? lol

I am good. I was there on Thursday. :-)
post #69834 of 122416
Just had my first major thrift store score: Alden for BB shortwings in #8 shell! $5 at my local small town thrift store, a place where probably no one would have been able to recognize who these were made by, or out of what.

I glanced at the pair thinking, "Ugh, I hate how corrected grain leathers look like shell" and then touched them. Thought to myself "hmmmm... maybe?" Looked inside and saw that it was a jackpot! No doubt about who made these! Too narrow for me (so close! 9.5C and I'm a 9.5E) so I'm going to clean them up, give 'em a healthy brushing, and put them on the bay. They need a resole but I'll leave that for the buyer who might want to spring for a premium sole or a cheap job. Only real flaw is a couple of blown stitches on the vamp, which may or may not be fixable.



Edited by wdahab - 12/28/13 at 11:24am
post #69835 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Just had my first major thrift store score: Alden for BB shortwings in #8 shell! $5 at my local small town thrift store, a place where probably no one would have been able to recognize who these were made by, or out of what.

I glanced at the pair thinking, "Ugh, I hate how corrected grain leathers look like shell" and then touched them. Thought to myself "hmmmm... maybe?" Looked inside and saw that it was a jackpot! No doubt about who made these! Too narrow for me (so close! 9.5C and I'm a 9.5E) so I'm going to clean them up, give 'em a healthy brushing, and put them on the bay. They need a resole but I'll leave that for the buyer who might want to spring for a premium sole or a cheap job. Only real flaw is a couple of blown stitches on the vamp, which may or may not be fixable.



Wow congrats man! Shame they are not your size.
post #69836 of 122416
Gents,

I'd just like to say i may have an answer to the white/bloom creases that form on our shell.

My sister, for Christmas, bought me a Boars hair shoe brush on a whim. At first I was a bit worried at how stiff the bristles were on the brush; that they might scratch the surface of the shell. Boy was I wrong! The stuff bristles made the surface heat up much faster than the horse hair and made the task of removing the bloom a breeze!!! What would normally take 15-20 minutes with a horse hair brush took only a few minutes with this boars hair brush. If followed up with the horse hair and a buff with a towel. They've come out better than anything I've done in the past with the Horse hair alone.

I know boars hair is not a new thing, we just don't talk about it much on here.
post #69837 of 122416

Do you guys wear your regular Barrie shoe size in the 2-eyelet chukka boot?  I know it's been said that the 6-eyelet version is preferable for keeping the foot snug, but does anyone here size down from their Barrie shoe size in an attempt to make up for the lack of sufficient lacing?  I ask because my 2-eyelet chukka is in the same size as my LWB/PTBs, yet it feels like my foot is swimming inside the shoe.  Thanks


Edited by thebeebs - 12/28/13 at 1:45pm
post #69838 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post
 

Do you guys wear your regular Barrie size in the 2-eyelet chukka boot?  I know it's been said that the 6-eyelet version is preferable for keeping the foot snug, but does anyone here size down from their Barrie shoe size?  Thanks

Tried going half size down. It seemed ok in length but too narrow. May need to try in Wide option, but haven't been able to. 

post #69839 of 122416

I've just received my first Aldens...a pair of black shell medallion toe bals (9841), and a pair of #8 wingtip shell boots (4661).  They're beautiful shoes, but I have a question:

 

They came from Alden NYC and both pairs are covered in some type of solution, almost like a light grease.  I figure that's to protect the leather during storage, but it's time to clean that off and get them on the street.

 

Do I just wipe that goo off, then brush and wear, or should I add a step of conditioner/cleaner (I use and like Bick4) as an intermediate step???

post #69840 of 122416

 

new shell shouldn't need conditioner. you should just brush and wear. sometimes new shell shoes seem a little gooey when they come out of those clear plastic bags Alden packs them in, but letting them sit out for a couple of days dries them up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.