Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:50 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Today
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4623post #69331 of 12241612/21/13 at 8:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #69332 of 12241612/21/13 at 8:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Shiny
Great looking boots Uncle Mac.
I want to get into boots, but the last time I tried some the shaft was really constricting on my ankles. Yours look pretty tight kinda like the way I wore mine. Maybe I'm just not a boot guy? Is there some kinda secret to them not being so tight on the ankles?
Not sure which boots exactly you've had bad experiences with, however some boots can be better than others. Really hard to tell exactly what your problem maybe. I can't personally imagine it myself, but some people may just not prefer to wear boots. Besides how you lace them and how tightly you are accustom to lacing your boots the way they've cut the tongue can also have an impact in regards to how comfortable a boot may or may not wear as well. Are there any particular styles of boots you don't mind wearing?post #69333 of 12241612/21/13 at 9:16pmpost #69334 of 12241612/21/13 at 10:45pmpost #69335 of 12241612/21/13 at 11:10pmpost #69336 of 12241612/22/13 at 1:39ampost #69337 of 12241612/22/13 at 3:43amWas looking for the "ALDEN X LEFFOT GREENWICH BOOT", unfortunately I didn't get in on the pre-order. If someone bought a 10E that would be willing to sell them please let me know.
http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/alden/44687h-greenwich-boot-pre-order.htmlpost #69338 of 12241612/22/13 at 4:02amIn case anyone is interested... some shell J. Crew captoes next to these WWII Impressions US Marine Service Shoes (paid $220 for these and they're reasonably well made):
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusmccordovan.htmlpost #69339 of 12241612/22/13 at 5:07amQuote:Originally Posted by einstine
Can someone give me some info on these Aldens I just bought? Never seen Alden produce anything close to these. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Pretty sure those are not Aldens...post #69340 of 12241612/22/13 at 5:24amQuote:Originally Posted by bl@ster
In case anyone is interested... some shell J. Crew captoes next to these WWII Impressions US Marine Service Shoes (paid $220 for these and they're reasonably well made):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
They appear to be cxl.
I am not keen on the edging.post #69341 of 12241612/22/13 at 5:46ampost #69342 of 12241612/22/13 at 5:47ampost #69343 of 12241612/22/13 at 6:36amQuote:
I kindly suggest spending some time searching the thread and googling the care of shell cordovan. You will see that you should really not polish at all. The patina comes with time. Polish is not good for cordovan.post #69344 of 12241612/22/13 at 7:14amPolish, used a few times a year, helps cordovan shoes keep their color and is good for the shoes. However, if you don't want to preserve color (and want accelerated aging), just use Saphir reno a few times a year with no polish.post #69345 of 12241612/22/13 at 7:16amQuote:
I've read quite a bit, especially concerning the Mac method. IIFC, he recommends polishing every 15 or so wears. I have also seen him recommend "Brown" Alden polish, which I am assuming is because it matches the original color of the shoe.
My questions is: If I want the shoe to develop a lighter patina should I choose a a lighter polish?
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › GG MEGATHREAD!!!!! UK9.5E/US10D!!!!! 3 minutes ago
- › ALDEN ALT WEIN (Antique Edge) 9.5D 3 minutes ago
- › Ring Jacket Balloon Wool Size 38 3 minutes ago
- › ARC'TERYX VEILANCE F13 MIONN INSULATION HOODED VEST 3 minutes ago
- › Vass Melton Antique cognac - New Peter last size 43 - Brand new in box 3 minutes ago
- › Vass chukka medium brown suede - F last size 43 - Brand new 3 minutes ago
- › Beautiful Vass Old English II on the new SP last! Size 42. Brand... 3 minutes ago
- › Fantastic Vass black crocodile wholecuts. Size 43.5 U last 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Plain Toe Blucher size 8.5D on Barrie / BNIB 3 minutes ago
- › NWT Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Grey Burgundy... 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...