or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4589  

post #68821 of 122416
Should someone with high instep still size down 1/2 a size on the barrie last?
post #68822 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

ravello boot


Great boots. I used to own the Unionmade version on the Barrie. I sold them. My foot and the Barrie last are most times not in agreement.
post #68823 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post
 
And, as mdubs mentioned, Context seems to have a standing order (or close to it) for black shell NST boots.  I believe their NST boot is on the barrie last and you will have to pay the full price for the boot upfront when you place your order.  An unusual order policy, but it is the one Context requires. 

 

   you seem to know quite a bit about Alden or maybe are better at research than I . . . . Gilbert has a pair in #8 and says it can be changed to black.

   I'm under the impression Shell doesn't like dyes all that much and will blister fairly easily.   Any ideas or info ?

post #68824 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosrep123 View Post

Should someone with high instep still size down 1/2 a size on the barrie last?

With Barrie, the reason people tend to size down is most often due to the excessive volume of the heel (wide heel).  Haven't heard instep discussed much, so you'll probably just have to try and find out.  I have a high instep, but need to size down half a size and 1 width for barrie, because of the heel.  Instep has never really been a problem when sizing for shoes, because the laces automatically adjust when you tie the shoe, if you know what I mean.  On loafers, some people find that their high instep prohibits them from fitting in to certain models regardless of size.

post #68825 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

   you seem to know quite a bit about Alden or maybe are better at research than I . . . . Gilbert has a pair in #8 and says it can be changed to black.
   I'm under the impression Shell doesn't like dyes all that much and will blister fairly easily.   Any ideas or info ?

Are you sure they didn't say you could change a preorder to black (meaning the shoe hasn't been made yet)? I don't think they were saying they could change an actual show in stock to black.

Regardless I recommend split toe boots... In black or color 8, on Barrie or plaza or Aberdeen, on commando or leather soles, all are great models
post #68826 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

With Barrie, the reason people tend to size down is most often due to the excessive volume of the heel (wide heel).  Haven't heard instep discussed much, so you'll probably just have to try and find out.  I have a high instep, but need to size down half a size and 1 width for barrie, because of the heel.  Instep has never really been a problem when sizing for shoes, because the laces automatically adjust when you tie the shoe, if you know what I mean.  On loafers, some people find that their high instep prohibits them from fitting in to certain models regardless of size.

Hmm that's a very good point. I often size down a bit for balmorals because the vamp doesn't have as much room to move, but I guess with boots it's not as big of an issue, since it's blucher style lacing. Do you know how the width of barrie last compares to the width in Clark's desert boots? I wear true to size in the desert boots even though most people seem to size down.
post #68827 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

ravello boot

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Those are some absolutely beautiful boots. I would hope having/wearing those would help ease the NST Boot pain from yesterday... Hope that you all had a good Sunday!

 

-Mike

post #68828 of 122416

 

A fine day for a stroll in some King boots.

post #68829 of 122416

Unionmade LWBs on maiden voyage in "winterish" LA (With and without flash).

 

Mike

 

.

post #68830 of 122416
I am told that very recently, j Gilbert is deciding if there is sufficient interest for ordering black shell boots in on plaza last with nst front and black shell with plain toe boot, both with commando soles.

As for shell not liking dye and blistering, I can't speak to that in anything but an anecdotal way. My anecdotal thoughts are that most, if not all, shell shoes are died and tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of died pairs of shell shoes have been sold for decades by many manufacturers, and the market continues to seek out these shoes. It does not seem like blistering is a problem about which to be concerned.
Edited by aldenwear - 12/16/13 at 12:37pm
post #68831 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


Are you sure they didn't say you could change a preorder to black (meaning the shoe hasn't been made yet)? I don't think they were saying they could change an actual show in stock to black.

Regardless I recommend split toe boots... In black or color 8, on Barrie or plaza or Aberdeen, on commando or leather soles, all are great models

 

   nope . . . . i'm absolutely positive. owning a pair of Carmina shell, I had a hard time believing it but they

   emphasized the color could be changed by using darker dye at least twice.

   Yes, I can wait + / - a year but they supposedly don't order ANY boot built on the Aberdeen last and

   routinely order commando sole on those boots almost exclusively.

post #68832 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post

I am told that bery recently, j Gilbert is deciding if there is suffocient interest for ordering black shell boots in on plaza last with nst front and black shell with plain toe boot.

As for shell not liking dye and blistering, I can't speak to that in anything but an anecdotal way. My anecdotal thoughts are that most, if not all, she'll shoes are died and tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of died paor of shell shoes have been sold for decades and the market continues to seek out these shoes. It does not seem like blistering is a problem about which to be concerned.

 

   you may be right about recoloring. I only have one shell by carmina and it absolutely does not like water AT ALL.

   blisters like the dickens and needs 'deer boning' to smooth back out.  that particular color is light cognac though so

   that could be telling in itself.

post #68833 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post

DV, it's just not fair smile.gif

I wish I would have gotten into Alden a few years ago, before boots like these were near extinct.

goose, I feel the same way. I started late as well, oh the time and money I spent on designer Italian calf.....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post
 

 

My favorite Alden boot, period.  Looking forward to the day my boot arrives.  I just hope my boot looks closer to this color and not the near-cigar ravello that's been making an appearance recently.

thank you. which boots did you order? from where? I also hope future ravello returns to a lighter brown.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV988 View Post
 

 

And that is about as close to perfection as I can imagine.

thank you sir.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post


gorgeous !!
here, here!

thanks sazon.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Great boots. I used to own the Unionmade version on the Barrie. I sold them. My foot and the Barrie last are most times not in agreement.

thanks sftg. I also prefer the non barrie lasted boots.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 

 

Those are some absolutely beautiful boots. I would hope having/wearing those would help ease the NST Boot pain from yesterday... Hope that you all had a good Sunday!

 

-Mike

mike, yes they did help ease the pain. I walked a little taller at church today wearing the day trippers, I felt good. thank you.

post #68834 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

 

thank you. which boots did you order? from where? I also hope future ravello returns to a lighter brown.

 

 

you and me both.. seeing my daytrippers sitting next to 'this years' ravello PTB and LWB makes me kinda bleh.. would drop both pair immediately for 'older' ravello

 

post #68835 of 122416


Black cordovan NST on Aberdeen with Incotex trousers & Bresciani socks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.