Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 10:52 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4563post #68431 of 12241612/11/13 at 5:37ampost #68432 of 12241612/11/13 at 5:48ampost #68433 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:03amQuote:Originally Posted by tigerpac Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ashland leather. just like the walletsQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Etsy. I found someone who makes custom cigarette holders. They are the perfect container, holding approx 8-10 cards. I keep the credit card/ cigarette case in a jacket pocket and the impact leffot fold in my back pocket, which prevents one from having a wallet ass.
Thank you both for your responses. I never thought of the "Little New York" as a card case since they call it a "front pocket wallet", but clearly that's what it is. For some reason I was imagining putting folded bills in those pockets, and didn't like the idea of that, so I went with Johnny The Fox instead. I too usually keep cards in a wallet but cash separate and loose.post #68434 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:16amQuote:Originally Posted by RecoveringChef
Long time lurker, first time poster. My first pair of Aldens came today: color 8 LWB from a little shop in Seattle. I'm blown away by a few things: the size of the shoes, the color and craftsmanship, and the immediate comfort. I don't think I'll have to worry about breaking these in. They're already remarkably comfortable. I've never owned a pair of shoes so bulky; they're like boots. Any advice on trouser/shirt combos? The last pic is them next to my AE park avenues for scale...
As to the size, that's why they are nicknamed "gunboats". You made the perfect choice for a first pair of shell cordovan. Enjoy them for the next 30 years.post #68435 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:18ampost #68436 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:42amQuote:Originally Posted by bkotsko
First, nothing is ruined.
Reno does remove some of the external finish, but it doesn't damage the shell.
I would do both shoes, then let them rest.
Tomorrow wipe them down and brush them following the Mac method.
All will be ok.
Finally: dont panic.
Just in case DONT PANIC
Thanks for the advice. I did just that, brushed them for about an hour, however, it seems as if I'm just moving the oil/wax back and forth. I believe they are saturated with the mink oil from the Reno. When I wipe them down with a damp cloth, the affected part of the vamp becomes very waxy/oily and it seems like the oils pull itself out of the shell. Tried gently pulling it off with a cloth, but it only seems to work it back in to the shell. Brushing has the same effect, it pushes what oil it can back into the shell, but you are able to see the brush marks on the layer that is left on top. Is there any way to pull this oil from the leather. I will try more brushing, but I think this is out of my hands and will call Alden later today.post #68437 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:45amQuote:
Thanks will make the call later today. Hopefully, I'll get the same treatment, but wouldn't be hurt if I don't as I am the one that caused this. Were your shoes as caked up/saturated as mine. Also how did they turn out after the restoration?post #68438 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:50amQuote:Originally Posted by justuhgeek
Thanks for the advice. I did just that, brushed them for about an hour, however, it seems as if I'm just moving the oil/wax back and forth. I believe they are saturated with the mink oil from the Reno. When I wipe them down with a damp cloth, the affected part of the vamp becomes very waxy/oily and it seems like the oils pull itself out of the shell. Tried gently pulling it off with a cloth, but it only seems to work it back in to the shell. Brushing has the same effect, it pushes what oil it can back into the shell, but you are able to see the brush marks on the layer that is left on top. Is there any way to pull this oil from the leather. I will try more brushing, but I think this is out of my hands and will call Alden later today.
Probably a stupid question on my part, have your tried to heat up the area with a dryer then once hot putting a rag on them to soak up some of the oil, and repeat.post #68439 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:55amQuote:
I didn't want to point a dryer directly at the shell, so I tried heating up a rag for a long time, and them wiping it off to no avail.post #68440 of 12241612/11/13 at 6:56ampost #68441 of 12241612/11/13 at 7:02ampost #68442 of 12241612/11/13 at 7:12ampost #68443 of 12241612/11/13 at 7:53ampost #68444 of 12241612/11/13 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpentQuote:Originally Posted by Dbc0919
Does Alden us JR soles? Heard it mentioned a couple of times but haven't found any support elsewhere.
Also, Jos A. Bank shoe trees are $8.50 with free shipping right now. I know these have been mentioned by other forum members in the past but the thread search function is maddening and I can't located any comments. What is the verdict on these in both quality and cost?
Cedar shoe racks are $11.90 as well.Quote:
It would be interesting to reach out to Alden specifically and ask this question. I know that some contend that they do use JR soles, but as Dbc0919 said, it's nearly impossible to find sources confirming this.
I have long believed that they don't use JR soles. Not only because of the lacking evidence from research and hands-on, and personal experience, but also due to a fact about JR that many may not be aware of. JR doesn't sell soles without the JR emblem emblazoned on them. DW Frommer (world class bespoke shoe and boot maker and SF member for those who don't know him) doesn't use JR because he doesn't want his shoes to have another company's logo on them. I don't see what the big deal is on that, since it's only the sole and it wears off anyway, but that's how he feels regardless. That said, Alden shoes don't have JR emblems on their soles, shell or calf. Every other manufacturer that uses them clearly have the emblem on the sole. Also, their soles are decidedly different in color and texture than any JR soles I've seen. Finally, in the Epaulet tour video of the Alden Factory, they show soles being soaked in a tanning solution that is shown by Mr. Tarlow at time 07:03: http://vimeo.com/6997219. Obviously those may not be the soles they use on shell shoes, but I haven't seen any visual difference between shell and calf soles on Alden shoes personally.
Just food for thought.
FWIW, I have previously done just that. And here is what I was told:
1. JR soles used for restorations only; and
2. used for laced shoes/boots - shell and calf; and
3. not used for loafers (deemed too inflexible)post #68445 of 12241612/11/13 at 8:04am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 31 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Norse Projects Sigfred Roll Linen Cotton Breton Sweater. Size S/M. 2 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Lost Worlds A-1. Size 38. 7 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 7 minutes ago
- › Vintage Baracuta (Four Climes). Made in England. Size 38. 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway