Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 11:32 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4556post #68327 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:35ampost #68328 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:37amQuote:Originally Posted by AlcibiadesQuote:Originally Posted by MrDV
The lindricks are great boots, I'm excited to have them. I prefer the Aldens. Alden's finish is better. Aldens do not dry like the lindricks. aldens also feel like thicker shell, sturdier somehow, better protected. Aldens shine better w less effort. I also didn't see better craftsmanship or better color matching w lindricks when comparing them to alden.
I really really like the lindricks, but I would sell them if I could buy plaza (or Barrie) cigar sw boots.
Thanks, I bought them from a fellow member. Originally sold by the shoe mart.
These, to me, continue to be the key differentiators between Alden shell and other shell models I see. I own Marlows and they are much tougher to shine than most Alden shoes and don't keep their shine as much. Even Alden's black shell looks more lush than other competitors.
Curious to see how Carminas compete on this scale.
Aldens shine better that C&J, Carmina, and AE. Aldens look more lush in any color compared to a similar color of another brand.
In my experience, owning various shell models of the 4 brands, the dryness scale would be as follows (shell most dry listed first):
I would buy Alden cigar shell SW boots if I could get them on the Plaza. But I would still keep my Lindricks.post #68329 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:39ampost #68330 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:39ampost #68331 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:47ampost #68332 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:49ampost #68333 of 12241612/10/13 at 11:52ampost #68334 of 12241612/10/13 at 12:02pmpost #68335 of 12241612/10/13 at 12:37pm
Good choice, Be. I wore my LS Ultimate Indys on commando to the grocery store this morning to pick up some items for the family before the snow fell. Super comfy, super secure in the muck. Hope you're wearing yours in the best of health.
Then, I took the day off and we went to build some snowmen, so I decided to go with the Greenwich tobacco chamois wt boots from Leffot. They didn't even look like they came into contact with moisture. Waterlock sole did its job. Could be a tossup between the indy and the Greenwich. Then again, I don't own the Kudu Indy on the lug sole. I bet those are some bad boys.post #68336 of 12241612/10/13 at 12:47pm
Props to the folks who went with the Ashland shell wallet idea. Hope you guys all get your packages in a timely fashion unimpeded by snow-related delivery delays.
You've reminded me I never posted pics of my more compact wallet choice, the Leffot minifold in what they called rust cordovan from Horween. They also had color king and cigar, but Steven talked me into the rust when he had me believing that it would be the closest I might ever come to owning color 4.
They're developing a fun patina after spending time in some raw selvedge. Pardon the Lego Star Wars background; my enthusiastic son wanted to be in the forum today and asked if I might wear my shell cordovans in the snow today ;)post #68337 of 12241612/10/13 at 12:47pm
Wondering if anyone here has any Alden (or anything really) on Dainite? I haven't seen anything, and all these pictures of shoes being worn in the snow and sleet has made me curious as to how it would hold up in such inclement conditions.post #68338 of 12241612/10/13 at 12:55pm
^ Somebody had some great shots of their LHSs which they had resoled with Dainite. Alden doesn't use them. As for how it holds up, people have different views. I like it and think it works well unless it is really icy. Others do not like it and claim they slide all over in even the most slightly slippery conditions.post #68339 of 12241612/10/13 at 12:58pm
On the whole shell comparison thing, I snapped a few quick iPhone shots (best I could do) of my modest shell collection thus far (well, most of it and obviously omitting a few orders I have not yet received). I was a little bit stubborn earlier in my refusal to believe that Alden's shell has a superior finish, but my #8 JCrew captoe boots have -- hallelujah! -- shown me the light. The first few pics are of the Aldens next to the C&J for RL Lindricks and the Epaulet Carmina Steinbecks. As others have said, the Carmina shell is the driest of the group. The Lindricks are a jump ahead but still not up to the finish on the Aldens. It's a tough call, but if I had to choose one boot, it would probably still be the Aldens over the much pricier (if you can't get a deal) Lindricks. I love all of these though -- it is good to have choices and be able to rotate. The Carminas get a lot of wear lately as a foul weather boot, given the rubber soles. Final shot is a comparison between the Alden for Jcrew and some 20+ year old #8 Florsheim Imperials I found BNIB on eBay. The finish on these - and the construction - is surprisingly good in my opinion. The lighting does make them look a little browner (less burgundy) than in real life.post #68340 of 12241612/10/13 at 1:01pmI love the idea of that lace/tongue holder, and I'm realizing that it's basically exactly what I need to act as a tongue pad for my Indy's, since I have narrow ankles/heel but a wide forefoot, but I didn't want to glue a tongue pad onto them because that's permanent, and I always find they break in too much. I don't need you to send me those, though, I actually bought a side of CXL last year specifically so I could make these sorts of things for myself (I made my own half-insoles for these as well).
I'm going to make it so that the tongue pad extends up from where it attaches, in the back, as a reverse false tongue, and that should totally make these fit even better.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Poor man's watch thread 2 minutes ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Interchangeable/Versatile Wardrobe Help: Charcoal Suit 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 13 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 College Football Season Threak 13 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 16 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...