Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4554post #68296 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:42ampost #68297 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:43amQuote:
Mine got lost in the mail... one of them was an xmas gift... merry xmas!post #68298 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:43am^ I don't own either and I don't have anything on the waterlock sole, but given the weather in our area, I'd be looking at commando soles for the type of shoe you are talking about. I just don't see the leather - oiled or not - being the shoe I'd consistenlty want to wear in snow or moderate-heavy rain. I know others disagree. Both are nice models.post #68299 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:45amQuote:Originally Posted by alexandchau
My Alden Brothers,
I'm looking to acquire a natty cxl shoe for casual everyday use in any weather and I'm trying to decide between these two models -
Unionmade longwings on commando
The Shoe Mart NST on double waterlock
Which one would you pick? I already own these styles in shell cordovan and like them equally. I'm also open to other suggestions as long as they have my size (8D) in stock! Thanks, guys!
I'd get the longwings.
BTW, I had a pair of those same NSTs that I ended up returning for other reasons but they fit noticeably larger than any other Barrie lasted shoe I have.post #68300 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:48amQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
It would be interesting to reach out to Alden specifically and ask this question. I know that some contend that they do use JR soles, but as Dbc0919 said, it's nearly impossible to find sources confirming this.
I have long believed that they don't use JR soles. Not only because of the lacking evidence from research and hands-on, and personal experience, but also due to a fact about JR that many may not be aware of. JR doesn't sell soles without the JR emblem emblazoned on them. DW Frommer (world class bespoke shoe and boot maker and SF member for those who don't know him) doesn't use JR because he doesn't want his shoes to have another company's logo on them. I don't see what the big deal is on that, since it's only the sole and it wears off anyway, but that's how he feels regardless. That said, Alden shoes don't have JR emblems on their soles, shell or calf. Every other manufacturer that uses them clearly have the emblem on the sole. Also, their soles are decidedly different in color and texture than any JR soles I've seen. Finally, in the Epaulet tour video of the Alden Factory, they show soles being soaked in a tanning solution that is shown by Mr. Tarlow at time 07:03: http://vimeo.com/6997219. Obviously those may not be the soles they use on shell shoes, but I haven't seen any visual difference between shell and calf soles on Alden shoes personally.
Just food for thought.
You present a very strong case, MWS.
To add another layer of mystery, the sole on my Mocha Kid Suede Tassels was/is not discernibly different from the soles on any of my shell Alden shoes.post #68301 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:49ampost #68302 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:50ampost #68303 of 12241612/10/13 at 7:54ampost #68304 of 12241612/10/13 at 8:05ampost #68305 of 12241612/10/13 at 8:05ampost #68306 of 12241612/10/13 at 8:30ampost #68307 of 12241612/10/13 at 8:35ampost #68308 of 12241612/10/13 at 8:58amQuote:
I hate how this happens. I've gotten some pairs of CXL Aldens where the sizing is all over the map. I remember a pair of CXL PTBs I got from Winn Perry fit 1.5 sizes larger than it was sized, and I know others had the same issue so it wasn't a fluke. Speaking of Winn Perry, it appears Jordan is back at it. Wonder if he's going to be carrying Alden?post #68309 of 12241612/10/13 at 9:09ampost #68310 of 12241612/10/13 at 9:35am
I did the same thing yesterday.
The 990 looks and feels like a luxury tank for your feet during winter wet weather. I know we all love rare colors, boots, etc, but at $400 lightly used off of eBay these are closing in as my best Alden buy.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 9 minutes ago
- › Tailoring Shoulders of Sportjacket - Take in from the neck? 10 minutes ago
- › [BNIB] 38mm GMT Diver Christopher Ward Trident 16 minutes ago
- › [BNIB] Rare Seiko 38mm SKX 013 Diver 18 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 19 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 20 minutes ago
- › How to wear a sweater vest? 23 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...