^ Ouch. I lose by 1/2 a size. Those are glorious.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4547post #68192 of 12241612/8/13 at 5:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by tifosi
No. No. Looks fine to me. No. Yes!
It wasn't that bad, guys! Don't be afraid. I didn't wake up and say "it's snowing, let me put on my leather soled, shells" haha. Went to church and it was dry... Came out and it was snowing. Had to run a couple errands and wasn't going to stop home to change my boots, haha. Got home and figured I might as well clean off my wife's car while I was still outside. Still have them on their sides letting the soles dry, so I'll take a look at them later. I'm pretty confident that they are just fine, though.
I would put shoe trees into the shoes, let dry for 24 hours and blow a fan on the shoes to accelerate the drying processpost #68193 of 12241612/8/13 at 6:02pmQuote:
Was in the same situation here in NJ. Left the house this morning in my king 4060s to meet up with friends and family, with the weather looking dry. Got out and it was snowing mightily. By the time dinner ended, there was decent accumulation and then, of all things, my wife's car's low tire pressure indicator came on, so I got into the wet snow and filled up her tires. Came home after unloading groceries and boots look none the worse following a quick brushing. Trees in, shoes turned to their sides to finish drying the commando soles.
Mac's right. These are shoes, not Rembrandts. That said, maybe tomorrow's a day for the tobacco chamois...post #68194 of 12241612/8/13 at 6:36pm
What a better brush to use for Mac methoding? I have 2 100% horsehair brushes. One is stiffer, the other, less so. It kinda bows out more when using it. So maybe less stiffer bristles (?). Not that is matters but the one that bows out has those light colored bristles. The other one has darker ones.post #68195 of 12241612/8/13 at 7:04pmpost #68196 of 12241612/8/13 at 8:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by BeSpiffington
Fenway, thanks for the cryptic post concerning my search for a cigar Indy in 11D with either double leather antique or commando soles. I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing as I type this because the whole Alden shell cordovan shoe thing is kinda goofy. My girlfriend, saints preserve her, thinks it's totally weird. It's been cold and snowy here in MPLS today. Vikings got crushed in the final minute of course, and Adrian Peterson got injured. Tiger Woods also lost, in a playoff no less, to Zach Johnson. That's all the weather and sports from Minnesnowta. Have a good one, be
Be, I've never felt such joy and anguish recycled so intensely over a couple of minutes. I'm glad the maintenance crew in Baltimore decided to clear the field of the snow throughout the game (unlike those in Philly). Thankfully, my Ravens are still bleeding some play-off blood. That was tough to see Zack J. hole it out to tie Tiger. I need some warmer, dryer weather. Want to play some golf and wear my shells, not necessarily at the same time. In the meantime, my 403s are serving me quite well...
Yes indeed, sorry about AP. Hopefully it isn't too terrible. Doubt it is as bad as the Gronk's ACL tear up NE.post #68197 of 12241612/8/13 at 9:17pmpost #68198 of 12241612/8/13 at 9:48pmThis thread is monstrous, and I haven't been able to find a satisfying answer (though that could be my horrible search skills).
I just broke my Alden cherry with the purchase of some 401's (black indy boots). Any musts in terms of leather-treatment/waterproofing before walking out of the house? Any strong suggestions as to how to care for them? I'm not planning to baby the shoes, but they are too purrty to leave completely at the mercy of the cruel world.
Thanks in advance.post #68199 of 12241612/9/13 at 2:23ampost #68200 of 12241612/9/13 at 4:00amQuote:Originally Posted by coolarrow
What a better brush to use for Mac methoding? I have 2 100% horsehair brushes. One is stiffer, the other, less so. It kinda bows out more when using it. So maybe less stiffer bristles (?). Not that is matters but the one that bows out has those light colored bristles. The other one has darker ones.
I've found that stiffer brushes work better. You want to create friction/heat when it comes to shining shell. The goal is to soften the oils and waxes in the leather with heat.
Another member on the forum (Crat) has been know to use a stiff fingernail brush, wrapped in a cotton rag, to work on his shell...post #68201 of 12241612/9/13 at 5:16ampost #68202 of 12241612/9/13 at 5:21ampost #68203 of 12241612/9/13 at 5:28amQuote:Originally Posted by Racove
Crepe soles & the mini lug soles don't appear to be goodyear welted. I wonder about these. The little blurb says cork, but could easily just be a generic description.
You never hear much about the mini lug models. Probably not quite as handsome as the leather command soles, but should these be avoided? They look pretty practical.
Yes, they are Goodyear-welted. Shoes that have soles which can't really be stitched generally have a thin leather midsole stitched to the welt, and the final outsole is cemented on to the stitched midsole. So, you have a sort of hybrid shoe, if you will.post #68204 of 12241612/9/13 at 5:36amQuote:Originally Posted by mdubs
Gotcha. Found these:
I have their horse bit cod loafer in black calf, is that Goodyear welted (it appears to be) and resole-able?
No, the Cape Cod horse bit loafer is not Goodyear-welted. They have made a horse bit loafer that is Goodyear-welted though. The Cape Cod version is constructed in the traditional loafer fashion (moccasin construction). The soles are still stitched on, but they go through the uppers in a similar way that Blake stitching does. The upper is formed from a sort of "bag" of leather, and is closed around the apron on the toe and vamp. The sole is then stitched directly though the bottom side of the upper. It's a perfectly respectable construction for this type of shoe. Traditional penny loafers, like beefroll pennies are made this way. Many of Rancourt's products are made this way, as well as Allen Edmonds Kenwood, etc., etc. Shoes made with this construction method are still resole-able.post #68205 of 12241612/9/13 at 6:01am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 13 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 18 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 34 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 35 minutes ago
- › Tonello Black velvet stretch blazer - Size EU 48 - Reg $730 42 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 47 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 50 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 1 hour ago
- › NWT RLPL "Chester" Navy Light Down Vest, Size S, Filling 90%... 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Richard James Navy Seishin Slim-Fit Brushed Cotton Twill Suit. 38R.... 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...