The marks are not a concern, and the boots fit great. Enjoy wearing them!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 7:00 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4506post #67577 of 12241611/30/13 at 8:03amQuote:
I'm sorry my comments caused you such offense.
There is a valid argument for "leather is leather," but these threads are specialized in order to keep them pertinent to the topic in question. By your argument, I could start discussing other brands of belts and wallets, so long as they were composed of leather. If everyone started doing that, there would be no point calling it "the official Alden thread". (You could also find similarities to arguments of Kantian universalization.)
If you read my comment, you would notice that I didn't mean you any ill, but I have no control over the extent of your sensitivities.
Best of luck to you.post #67578 of 12241611/30/13 at 8:04ampost #67579 of 12241611/30/13 at 8:06amQuote:Originally Posted by tifosi
Saturday morning at work... #8 Indys: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Those are spectacular! How do you like the raised moccasin detail that comes as a result of that hand stitching? (I assume it's hand stitching.) For some reason, I prefer the flat detailing of the machine stitch, but seeing those might be swaying me.post #67580 of 12241611/30/13 at 8:09amQuote:Originally Posted by movoblast
Hi guys, should I be concerned about a bent speedhook and some spots missing paint/dressing? First Alden's WOOHOO! I literally checked the Jcrew website twice a day religiously for a month and half for these babies.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Can I use some of my Allen Edmonds edge dressing for this? Is that a really dark brown, or black?
Those look incredible, and I'd definitely keep them.
I've had bent speed hooks, and they're really not a big deal. (If you're talking about the kind of damage that just involves them being less spread, making it difficult to run laces through them with the speed implied by their name.) I just pried them back apart carefully.
As far as the edges of the welt and sole, that stuff happens easily, and I bet you've already noticed that any edge dressing or cream polish will mask it quickly.post #67581 of 12241611/30/13 at 8:31amQuote:
Yes, it is hand stitched. The hand stitching is basically the only reason I have these. I am obsessed with hand stiching on Alden's cordovan models. Makes the boot for me. I have a tanker on pre-order for the same reason!
Be swayed! You won't regret it.post #67582 of 12241611/30/13 at 8:58amQuote:Originally Posted by azima
Quote:Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
Thanks for looking out! I saved almost $200 on a pair!
Does anyone else know of any other good sales that may affect the price of Alden shoes? It seems as they are being exempted by every sale. At this point, I would be happy with a measly 15% off from somewhere.
looked everywhere. Haberdash was the only one. LeatherSoul is doing a Cyber Monday sale.
Got a pair almost identical to the Leffot x Alden City Mocs that I've been wanting but didn't want to spend $500+ on.
BB has a 15% off deal. I think their Alden make-ups may be included.post #67583 of 12241611/30/13 at 9:29ampost #67584 of 12241611/30/13 at 11:35amQuote:
At the time I checked with the Alden factory on this so-called new Hampton last. It was not new. Rather it was the old (and only) Hampton last.post #67585 of 12241611/30/13 at 11:48ampost #67586 of 12241611/30/13 at 11:56ampost #67587 of 12241611/30/13 at 12:34pmSo I finally got my first pair of shell, alden j crew captoes. I'm happy with them, and normally I'm not one to complain about small imperfections on handmade items, but after so many mentions of QC issues in this thread I had to check the pair more diligently before I decide to keep them. I don't really care about the minor cosmetic defects I found, but I did want to be careful when it comes to construction issues.
There is a loose string where the quarter meets the vamp (terminology?). and you can see an empty stitching hole where it came out of. It seems to be stable, but my worry is that it will continue to unravel, as this seems to be a high stress area of the shoe (hence why it is double stitched there).
Hopefully you guys will tell me that it is nothing, and I can start wearing the shoes without waiting months for an exchange.
Thankspost #67588 of 12241611/30/13 at 12:39pm
Should be nothing. Alden stitching seems prone to this. I have similar on a few of my pairs, and it hasn't really persisted to unravel. Some might propose that you use a flame to burn the loose threads, if you chose.
Keep in mind, if you try to exchange, there is no guarantee that the new pair will be perfect. Might even be worse.post #67589 of 12241611/30/13 at 1:18pmpost #67590 of 12241611/30/13 at 2:13pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › The REAL Hate Crimes Thread. 16 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 College Football Season Threak 18 minutes ago
- › acronym 3rd arm fidlock keychain 20 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway