or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4506  

post #67576 of 122416

The marks are not a concern, and the boots fit great.  Enjoy wearing them!

post #67577 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchottie View Post


I take your comment as rude. Leather is leather and I am just asking a question. I am not forcing you todo anything.

 

I'm sorry my comments caused you such offense.

 

There is a valid argument for "leather is leather," but these threads are specialized in order to keep them pertinent to the topic in question. By your argument, I could start discussing other brands of belts and wallets, so long as they were composed of leather. If everyone started doing that, there would be no point calling it "the official Alden thread". (You could also find similarities to arguments of Kantian universalization.)

 

If you read my comment, you would notice that I didn't mean you any ill, but I have no control over the extent of your sensitivities.

 

Best of luck to you.

post #67578 of 122416
Saturday morning at work... #8 Indys:

post #67579 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Saturday morning at work... #8 Indys: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Those are spectacular! How do you like the raised moccasin detail that comes as a result of that hand stitching? (I assume it's hand stitching.) For some reason, I prefer the flat detailing of the machine stitch, but seeing those might be swaying me.

post #67580 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by movoblast View Post
 

Hi guys, should I be concerned about a bent speedhook and some spots missing paint/dressing? First Alden's WOOHOO! I literally checked the Jcrew website twice a day religiously for a month and half for these babies.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Can I use some of my Allen Edmonds edge dressing for this? Is that a really dark brown, or black?

 

Those look incredible, and I'd definitely keep them.

 

I've had bent speed hooks, and they're really not a big deal. (If you're talking about the kind of damage that just involves them being less spread, making it difficult to run laces through them with the speed implied by their name.) I just pried them back apart carefully.

 

As far as the edges of the welt and sole, that stuff happens easily, and I bet you've already noticed that any edge dressing or cream polish will mask it quickly.

post #67581 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

Those are spectacular! How do you like the raised moccasin detail that comes as a result of that hand stitching? (I assume it's hand stitching.) For some reason, I prefer the flat detailing of the machine stitch, but seeing those might be swaying me.

Yes, it is hand stitched. The hand stitching is basically the only reason I have these. I am obsessed with hand stiching on Alden's cordovan models. Makes the boot for me. I have a tanker on pre-order for the same reason!

Be swayed! You won't regret it.
post #67582 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by azima View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge View Post


Thanks for looking out! I saved almost $200 on a pair!

Does anyone else know of any other good sales that may affect the price of Alden shoes? It seems as they are being exempted by every sale. At this point, I would be happy with a measly 15% off from somewhere.

looked everywhere. Haberdash was the only one. LeatherSoul is doing a Cyber Monday sale. 

Got a pair almost identical to the Leffot x Alden City Mocs that I've been wanting but didn't want to spend $500+ on. 

BB has a 15% off deal.  I think their Alden make-ups may be included.

post #67583 of 122416

They are indeed included, I just got a pair of the black plain toe bluchers from there.

post #67584 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

The Plaza was the most recent (popular last) as far as I know. Last year Unionmade had a shoe on the "New Hampton Last" ...whatever that is.

I may be wrong though, i have been may times before lol

At the time I checked with the Alden factory on this so-called new Hampton last. It was not new. Rather it was the old (and only) Hampton last. biggrin.gif
post #67585 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TactileOne View Post

Mdubs just saw your pic of the LHS family, envious as hell.

LoL. Thanks! I have been working hard on them!

-Mike
post #67586 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Saturday morning at work... #8 Indys:


Sorry you have to work this weekend! Boots look great though
post #67587 of 122416
So I finally got my first pair of shell, alden j crew captoes. I'm happy with them, and normally I'm not one to complain about small imperfections on handmade items, but after so many mentions of QC issues in this thread I had to check the pair more diligently before I decide to keep them. I don't really care about the minor cosmetic defects I found, but I did want to be careful when it comes to construction issues.


There is a loose string where the quarter meets the vamp (terminology?). and you can see an empty stitching hole where it came out of. It seems to be stable, but my worry is that it will continue to unravel, as this seems to be a high stress area of the shoe (hence why it is double stitched there).

Hopefully you guys will tell me that it is nothing, and I can start wearing the shoes without waiting months for an exchange.


Thanks
post #67588 of 122416

Should be nothing.  Alden stitching seems prone to this.  I have similar on a few of my pairs, and it hasn't really persisted to unravel.  Some might propose that you use a flame to burn the loose threads, if you chose.

 

Keep in mind, if you try to exchange, there is no guarantee that the new pair will be perfect.  Might even be worse.

post #67589 of 122416

I'd keep it.  You won't notice it down the road.  It is a great boot.  Enjoy often and in great health!

post #67590 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Sorry you have to work this weekend! Boots look great though
Thanks, Ryden. I'm not too sorry...keeps the shoe fund topped off...haha.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.