Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 3:20 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4496post #67426 of 12241611/27/13 at 3:16pmpost #67427 of 12241611/27/13 at 3:36pmpost #67428 of 12241611/27/13 at 3:45pmpost #67429 of 12241611/27/13 at 3:58pmHi all. After a multi month wait I've just received my first pair of Alden (and cordovan) shoes! They are the Alden cap toe cordovan boots for JCrew.
As an owner of several pairs of AE shoes I am very impressed by the craftsmanship of these boots. They are simply beautiful.
I was a little afraid on the sizing as I've never tried a shoe on in this last, but from first try on they feel as though they will fit great. Phew!
Two pictures and associated questions. Hopefully you'll humor me:
There's a section of the leather right behind the toe cap that is lighter than the rest. It's not so different that it's stands out when looking down while standing but it caught my eye when lacing them. Is this typical that the dyeing would show such contrast? Not thrilled on potentially waiting for an exchange, but given the price...
I presume this texture is just from a heavy layer of wax. Do you all typically remove some of the wax that comes on your shoes from the factory?
Thanks for any input.post #67430 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:07pmpost #67431 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:18pmpost #67432 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:24pmpost #67433 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:27pmpost #67434 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:52pmQuote:
FWIW, my Beckmans are my Barrie size or .5 down from brannock. They need much more break in time than other boots (Alden shell/CXL, 1K, OSB Trench, etc.) but once broken in, they fit very well. Had I gone TTS, I'd be swimming in them. After a year of wear, I still need relatively thick socks.
Edited by patrick_b - 11/28/13 at 7:29ampost #67435 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:53pmpost #67436 of 12241611/27/13 at 4:54pm
I posted this in the Classic Menswear forum thinking that was the proper place for this not thinking about this thread. Completely new to SF, sorry for the double post!
I just bought a pair of Florsheim Imperial LWB´s in shell and i love them. And now i want to get a pair of LWB or PTB in a lighter brown color, something like Alden´s whiskey.
Living in Sweden where it is impossible to find an Alden retailer i would like some input on the quality of Alden vs Florsheim, is it worth paying that kind of money for a pair of new Alden´s compared to vintage Florsheim´s? What are the differences?
Im perfectly comfortable with wearing vintage shoes and i am on a somewhat tight budget, but those Alden´s look damn sexy!post #67437 of 12241611/27/13 at 5:14pm^ I have color 8 vintage Florsheim LWBs probably from the late 80s or early 90s right before they stopped making them. No v-cleats. Got them new old stock. I bought them around the same time I bought Alden cigar LWBs. Conventional wisdom is that the later Florsheims are not up to par with Alden but I find mine nearly comparable in terms of quality. The Aldens win but maybe only by a hair in my view. Both pairs are very handsome and comfortable but to my surprise I have found the color 8 more versatile than the cigars and barely worn the cigars.post #67438 of 12241611/27/13 at 5:18pmI picked these up from a fellow SF'er and am very happy with them (thanks to Morgan for a great transaction)
My question to the group is on the Alden recrafting. I brought these with the intention of having them recrafted but they look better than I expected. The only real issue is the dark crease on the left shoe and I hate to pay $160 just for that, especially since I'm not clear on if their service would include redying (their response to my question was vague on this point).
My specific question is whether Alden will redye or resinish the shell. My second question is whether anyone has had this type of experience with B. Nelson or another cobbler?
I really don't want to replace the soles or the heels but would like to remove the darkness in the creases. I'm also open to home remedy suggestions. I was hitting it with the deer bone and brushing but I don't think it's working. As always, any suggestions are appreciated.
I think they make a fine addition to my growing family of whiskey.........post #67439 of 12241611/27/13 at 5:23pm
Mine are color 8 v-cleats from the 70´s/early 80´s, from what i can tell the quality is really good.
Right now i am trying to decide between Florsheim v-cleats in tan pebble grain and Alden LWB in whiskey calf or chromexcel.
I´d love to get the Alden´s but i dont know if i can justify the difference in price to myself.
Please convince me someone!post #67440 of 12241611/27/13 at 5:24pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 14 minutes ago
- › The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford 14 minutes ago
- › THE EUROPEAN THRIFT BUY /SELL / TRADE / WANT THREAD 15 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 18 minutes ago
- › Monitaly for Styleforum - the Darkseid collection, NOW AVAILABLE 18 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 18 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 19 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 20 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts