or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4439  

post #66571 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldaville View Post
 

 

For more formal shoes and boots exposed to weather, I'd take the heel design of Dainite over Commando. For casual boots, I like the look and slightly cushier feel of Commando. Really no need for crepe for me.

 

Not sure how the commando/crepe thing came about, but the intial question was about commando v. double leather waterlock.

 

I do like Dainite for a boot though..it'd be nice if some of the shell offerings had that option instead of a leather sole.

post #66572 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

^^^ totalair, great looking shoes Steve. I like the style of the Hanovers, very rich looking color.

Thanks BeSpiff-it was not like I was out hunting for them, just popped under my search for cordovan shoes in size 14 and there they were.  Based on other members comments I knew they were a quality brand.  Bottom line for me is I can't be too picky when looking for large shoes in shell cordovan, just not too many options in those sizes.  Same for quality cowboy boots, nobody stocks anything really nice...it's al MTO!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #66573 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post
 

 

Got my eBay Hanovers today.  these babies are mint, not even broke in.  FYI-for me Hanovers fit TTS, size 14D fits perfect!

 

See Ya,

Steve

 


Super sweet.  The Hanover LWB color and brogue pattern beats anything you can buy today, IMHO.

post #66574 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

cigar Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Sweeeeeeet Cigar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

#8 NST Plaza Boot
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




One of the best boot make-ups, IMO. Looking great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinopcollector View Post


Super sweet.  The Hanover LWB color and brogue pattern beats anything you can buy today, IMHO.

Loving those Hanover LWBs!
post #66575 of 122416
Perf'd captoe today, on the Hampton

post #66576 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Perf'd captoe today, on the Hampton
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
sazon, nice shoes and a great combo.
post #66577 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post


I figured the only possible chance of the exotics costing more to manufacture would be due to the fact that they are manufactured in smaller quantities. Alden churns out far more black and color 8 shell, so maybe it costs less per shoe when they're making those.

No, according to Alden there is more to it than this.  It says that whiskey, no. 4  and ravello are lighter in color and must be used with shells with less coloration than the darker colors which can cover up imperfections.  So fewer shells qualify for exotic make-ups.  

 

It is hard for me to understand this justification for cigar which, in the cigar shells I have, look no less dark than color 8.  Perhaps, however, cigar is lighter than color 8 enough to require the clearer shells than do black and color 8.

post #66578 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post

No, according to Alden there is more to it than this.  It says that whiskey, no. 4  and ravello are lighter in color and must be used with shells with less coloration than the darker colors which can cover up imperfections.  So fewer shells qualify for exotic make-ups.  

It is hard for me to understand this justification for cigar which, in the cigar shells I have, look no less dark than color 8.  Perhaps, however, cigar is lighter than color 8 enough to require the clearer shells than do black and color 8.

I understand that fewer shells qualify to be made into exotic makeups, but how exactly would that make it more expensive for Alden to actually make the shoe once they have the shell? Maybe it's more expensive for Horween to produce the shell and then they pass that expense in to Alden. I might be mistaken, but I think most other makers charge relatively similar prices for different shell colors, it's really only Alden that has huge price differences for rare colors.

I agree about Cigar as well, lots of people here have noted that it's nearly as dark as Color 8 (especially recently), so there's really no reason for it to be "rare."
post #66579 of 122416
Reason is $$$ and that people in this thread are willing to wait indefinitely to pay a markup to buy them.
post #66580 of 122416

#8 LWB finally here after an agonizing week wait.  Went with the darker edge so I can more easily wear them with my work wardrobe.

 

They are so dark I had to double check to made sure they're #8.  They look lighter with the flash though. Looking forward to seeing them out in natural sunlight tomorrow.

 

Glad to finally join the LWB club!

 

post #66581 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post
 

+1 for me!  

 

I think part of the problem these days is many people don't understand anything about relationships, specially the young bucks!  Seems like all connection with people is via IM, Facebook, and Twitter. Unfortunately...Traditions, Respect, and Gratitude are things that many people fail to acknowledge are important.  Personally...I initially had a hard time understanding who was Uncle ad how you qualified to be a Nephew, but now that I understand it, it makes sense to me.  I think its safe to say Uncle Mac has forgot more about Alden's that most of us will ever know.  He's shown more rare MTO than anyone I've ever seen on this forum, his info when shared is always spot on and I find him a valuable resource.

 

See Ya,

Steve

This has got nothing to do with "tradition," "respect," or "gratitude"  or any generational divide.  It should not be controversial that one can appreciate the importance of respect and gratitude, and demonstrate these qualities, without playing along with this uncle/nephew -- I will be polite here -- eccentricity.  If others want to play along with it, have at it.  But it is an odd practice, and, I think, imminently understandable that the convention discourages some from participating or causes some to simply pass the forum by.  This is a well-used forum so I guess this convention works here.  Or, probably more to the point, it does not sufficiently get in the way.  I don't get it, but I don't have to:  shaking my head and wondering what the hell this is about is a small price to pay for the generosity of spirit displayed, and the great information provided here, virtually every day.  

post #66582 of 122416
C&J charges £25 more for boots to be made in whiskey rather than dark brown. Interestingly, they seem to have unlimited amounts of both (Horween).
post #66583 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

Reason is $$$ and that people in this thread are willing to wait indefinitely to pay a markup to buy them.
 
  I have been surprised that the increase in price for ravello and whiskey make-ups and Alden's standard models is not greater than it is.  I would have thought the Alden (and its retailers) have a lot more pricing power for these shoes than they exert.  
post #66584 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post

This has got nothing to do with "tradition," "respect," or "gratitude"  or any generational divide.  It should not be controversial that one can appreciate the importance of respect and gratitude, and demonstrate these qualities, without playing along with this uncle/nephew -- I will be polite here -- eccentricity.  If others want to play along with it, have at it.  But it is an odd practice, and, I think, imminently understandable that the convention discourages some from participating or causes some to simply pass the forum by.  This is a well-used forum so I guess this convention works here.  Or, probably more to the point, it does not sufficiently get in the way.  I don't get it, but I don't have to:  shaking my head and wondering what the hell this is about is a small price to pay for the generosity of spirit displayed, and the great information provided here, virtually every day.  
Good post
post #66585 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

C&J charges £25 more for boots to be made in whiskey rather than dark brown. Interestingly, they seem to have unlimited amounts of both (Horween).

Yep. And much better attention to detail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.