or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4433  

post #66481 of 122416

Would some Barrie size 12 guy purchase the last #8 LWB at jcrew.com?

 

I have this faint hope that when that last pair sells they'll restock a full complement of sizes.

post #66482 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post


It's a super creepy thing relationship with one user on this forum. Kind of annoying, because it leads to him individually complementing each persons shoes every day, and them thanking him. Or him posting his shoes, each person complementing his shoes, and then him thanking each person individually. I think most people find it completely uncomfortable, but it's one of those cult-like things where you're not really allowed to bring it up or you'll get yelled at.

Not sure who has yelled at you or anyone else that has asked about this over the last year and a half.  I have never sensed anyone feeling uncomfortable here over the issue of the uncle-nephew exchanges, but I will not presume to tell you (or anyone else here) how you feel.  You might consider doing the same.  BTW, I am not yelling at you.

 

I also thought it was a little odd at first, but given my cultural background growing up in an immigrant-American community it wasn't hard to understand as all of the adults were called uncle and aunt by the young kids as a sign of respect.  I'm in my 40s now and we all still maintain that practice.  Given Mac's collection spanning several decades, his knowledge, and his method of shell care setting the standard, I don't think it's that big a deal.  If it does truly creep you out, I'd suggest just ignoring it.  You might look for posts from ArieGold in the near future.  He will insist on you calling him grandpa, MacArthur included... :rotflmao:

post #66483 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post

Would some Barrie size 12 guy purchase the last #8 LWB at jcrew.com?

I have this faint hope that when that last pair sells they'll restock a full complement of sizes.

I doubt it. There is literally 1 pair left and I had the cap toe on pre-order for this week and it's been pushed back to 2/2014. My indy boot has been pushed back to 1/2014. I think Alden x J. Crew is experiencing production delays on their more sought after pairs.
post #66484 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Not sure who has yelled at you or anyone else that has asked about this over the last year and a half.  I have never sensed anyone feeling uncomfortable here over the issue of the uncle-nephew exchanges, but I will not presume to tell you (or anyone else here) how you feel.  You might consider doing the same.  BTW, I am not yelling at you.

I also thought it was a little odd at first, but given my cultural background growing up in an immigrant-American community it wasn't hard to understand as all of the adults were called uncle and aunt by the young kids as a sign of respect.  I'm in my 40s now and we all still maintain that practice.  Given Mac's collection spanning several decades, his knowledge, and his method of shell care setting the standard, I don't think it's that big a deal.  If it does truly creep you out, I'd suggest just ignoring it.  You might look for posts from ArieGold in the near future.  He will insist on you calling him grandpa, MacArthur included... rotflmao.gif
+1. I thought it was "odd" at first but it has become an endearing idiosyncrasy of this board and helps keep things interesting. Nobody who follows a shoe thread closely should get TOO worked up about quirkiness.
post #66485 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post
 

Would some Barrie size 12 guy purchase the last #8 LWB at jcrew.com?

 

I have this faint hope that when that last pair sells they'll restock a full complement of sizes.

 

what size you looking to procure?

post #66486 of 122416
Okay, "yell" was hyperbole of course. But gently scolded for criticizing something sacred. There are a lot of people who stay out of this thread completely, or stay quiet, (that would be me) because of how uncomfortable it makes them.

It also makes this thread very difficult to read, because almost all real discussion/questions get buried within minutes by the onslaught of "nice shoes nephew" "thank you uncle" posts. I mean, to each his own. I'm just the voice saying that not everyone on SF who loves Aldens thinks it's a quaint/cute thing, and that it actively hurts the ability for people to discuss Aldens in a meaningful way.
post #66487 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbombers85 View Post


I doubt it. There is literally 1 pair left and I had the cap toe on pre-order for this week and it's been pushed back to 2/2014. My indy boot has been pushed back to 1/2014. I think Alden x J. Crew is experiencing production delays on their more sought after pairs.

 

The boot?? Oh, dear. I've got that one on pre-order, as well. Mine are supposed to ship in mid-December. I keep checking the J. Crew site in the hopes that Mickey and gang are going to exceed my expectations. Did you get an e-mail from them letting you know of the change in ship date?

post #66488 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post


creepy!

kinda. Uncle Fester, right? And there is another dude that pops up every now andthen who dubs himself Grandfather. I am sure there Iis a Dog father lurking around here too.

amidst this peculiarity, however, is a very informative forum that is one of the most civil and helpful net fora you would hope to participate in. I hope you participate and enjoy it.
post #66489 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post

The boot?? Oh, dear. I've got that one on pre-order, as well. Mine are supposed to ship in mid-December. I keep checking the J. Crew site in the hopes that Mickey and gang are going to exceed my expectations. Did you get an e-mail from them letting you know of the change in ship date?

Yep. Just got the email today. Original ship date was 11/20/2013. Now it's 02/10/2014.

The indy boot used to be 10/31/2013 and is now 01/20/2014. I lucked out and was able to use a 25% off promo on this one.

Waiting game continues while my wallet doesn't mind it.
post #66490 of 122416
^ Pretty outrageous that only a few days from the ship date, they tell you it will be another three month wait. I know there's only so much that can be done, but that seems like bad/sloppy customer service to me, no matter what the reason is. Surely they can let you know about the delay before that.
post #66491 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

^ Pretty outrageous that only a few days from the ship date, they tell you it will be another three month wait. I know there's only so much that can be done, but that seems like bad/sloppy customer service to me, no matter what the reason is. Surely they can let you know about the delay before that.

 

would have to assume that J.Crew is just working off an anticipated date that is given by Alden. Otherwise, they'd have to state 'delivery unknown" as we all know how Alden is with delivery dates

post #66492 of 122416

Man, after a lot of hunting, I found myself a pair of ravello LWB! I think I'll be keeping the Whiskey NSTs and going with these two pairs, but thanks for everyone's opinions. Now that I've gotten this far, what kind of things do I need to keep them looking amazing? I know shoe trees are obvious, but I'm a total newbie with the details from there. Paste wax? (Colors?) Saphir? How many brushes?

 

Also, for anybody in the market, as of about a week ago Alden NYC still had a pair of Ravello PTBs left in 11D. If that's your size, good luck!

 

I think that's all I'm going to get for now, unless there's somebody carrying cap toe Cigar boots on commando... :rotflmao: 

post #66493 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post


+1. I thought it was "odd" at first but it has become an endearing idiosyncrasy of this board and helps keep things interesting. Nobody who follows a shoe thread closely should get TOO worked up about quirkiness.

Indeed. I'm thankful for this thread because I can feel like I'm not the only person in the world with an out-of-control shoe fetish. Let's get back to talking about Aldens.

 

My contribution: Another installment of my non-shell boot binge. Yenni sent my burnished tan wt boots on Barrie with commando extra fast so they'd get here by Friday in time for my birthday this weekend. Another poor man's whiskey, but they're plenty comfy, go great with selvedge and ladies love 'em (including dear wife :)

 

 

 

this also reminds me: someone had inquired about the NS Church Hill Indys. Same color as above or pretty close. Yes, I justified it to myself by saying that they're on different lasts and can be worn different ways. No one but you guys might agree with me :)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Okay, "yell" was hyperbole of course. But gently scolded for criticizing something sacred. There are a lot of people who stay out of this thread completely, or stay quiet, (that would be me) because of how uncomfortable it makes them.

It also makes this thread very difficult to read, because almost all real discussion/questions get buried within minutes by the onslaught of "nice shoes nephew" "thank you uncle" posts. I mean, to each his own. I'm just the voice saying that not everyone on SF who loves Aldens thinks it's a quaint/cute thing, and that it actively hurts the ability for people to discuss Aldens in a meaningful way.

I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings. I am sorry to hear you find yourself uncomfortable here. Although there are quite a few "superfluous" posts of gratitude and compliments, I don't mind it so much. I feel like Mac has an extensive catalog and consistently posts great combos with his OTCs. We learn a lot from each other and enable our addictions through our posts. Accordingly, I don't mind just pressing the spacebar or scrolling through the thank you posts.

 

I really hope you can find a way to push past any discomfort or creeped out feelings you're grappling with here. I think just about everyone who posts here makes important contributions or allows us to air questions we ourselves have been sitting on. Not trying to be jerky; rather, trying to be welcoming...

 

I myself have been meaning to ask (as I contemplate pulling the trigger on yet another boot by weighing JCrew's natty cxl perf toe vs Leffot's) about how and whether veteran members evaluate welt construction when they are selecting boots and shoes. Does the close heel represent a deal breaker for you? Are guys hating the 270 degree welt? Or does it depend?

post #66494 of 122416

For what it's worth on the J.Crew orders (If simply to set hope :)), I ordered a pair of the Tobacco LWB with a ship date of 10/30 and then also received a delay until the end of Jan '14 … and then they arrived last week.

 

Mike

post #66495 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post


I myself have been meaning to ask (as I contemplate pulling the trigger on yet another boot by weighing JCrew's natty cxl perf toe vs Leffot's) about how and whether veteran members evaluate welt construction when they are selecting boots and shoes. Does the close heel represent a deal breaker for you? Are guys hating the 270 degree welt? Or does it depend?

I'm hardly a veteran but I really like the 270 welt, especially on boots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.