I'd just assumed they were half -- otherwise, the pricing makes no sense at all to me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 11:32 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4402post #66016 of 12241611/13/13 at 7:46ampost #66017 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:06am
Regarding Brooks Brothers Suits. I get the Special Ordered suits. Go in, pick out a fabric/pattern from their book of fabric swatches. They measure you for a jacket size, they measure you for a pants size. Specify if you want double or single vented. Pleated or no pleats. 2 or 3 buttons. Specify the cut Madison, Fitzgerald, Milano. Suit arrives 6 weeks later, try it on and they chalk it up for alterations. Comes back 2 weeks later. Try it on again, ideally it is perfect, if it needs further minor adjustments, they chalk it up accordingly. (You could also just take it unaltered and bring it to your own tailor)
$1000, or $850 with the corporate discount.
This isn't fast, but it works well for my needs. Their off the rack selection can be limiting, and I'm not positive but I think many of those suits are only 98% wool, compared to the 100% wool of the Special Orders.
They aren't the fanciest suit, but if you wear a suit every day and travel in them, it does not make sense (to me) to buy a more expensive suit. I want 100% wool, so I won't buy a cheaper suit from say Jos. A Bank because I can tell the difference in the quality of the fabric just by looking at it, and even more easily by touching it. Also, I think some cheaper suits are not constructed as well, and you can notice this in the shape of the shoulders, and the shoulder seam. (BTW, I'm not representing myself as an expert on suit construction)
Haven't really handled J. Crew suits, but the skinny cut seems less formal/professional/conservative to me, which could be fine depending on your job/company/industry. Their suits are more conducive to someone who wants to wear them with a skinny tie and no socks, and have the pants stop 4" above their ankle. (see the model in the J. Crew catalog for an example of this look) This would not fly where I worked, and does not appeal to me anyway. When I wear a suit, I'm generally not in the kind of situation where I want to make a fashion statement, or draw attention to myself, or send the message "Hey, look at me, I wear trendy clothes, I'm the most fashion-forward individual at this place. I spend too much time thinking about my clothes, and not enough time thinking about my work". Instead I try to dress plain and conservative, and have people remember me and my achievements, and not my clothes.
Can't speak from experience, but I get the feeling J Crew suits don't use the same quality wool as BB, but I could be wrong about that. (I know that their cashmere isn't that good.)
So while BB suits aren't the fanciest, or the cheapest, or the most convenient to purchase, they serve me well because they are in the sweet spot for price, quality, cut, and customization.
If I was involved in a different industry/occupation, like Real Estate in NYC, then it might make sense to spend a few thousand more and wear EZ or Brioni.post #66018 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:14ampost #66019 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:19ampost #66020 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:22ampost #66021 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by budapest12
Are the JCrew jackets even half canvas? I like JCrew but I see no value in their suits, even on sale. And I agree with the comment on the skinny lapels. Not for me.
Once or twice a year you can get terrific deals on BB. I scored a great Golden Fleece suit at about $900 down from $2000, plus a couple of $1100 suits at about $575.Quote:
They market it as having a horsehair canvas, which according to their SAs and people who believe marketing that it is half canvas. I haven't handled one recently but the previous ones I tried / felt were definitely not half canvassed.
Fabrics are nice and they do go on sale quite a bit so not a bad deal if they fit you wellpost #66022 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:28ampost #66023 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:38amQuote:
Agreed. I just received a couple of sportcoats through their "Factory Finds" program and love them (I'm also still waiting on a couple pair of trousers). The construction and materials are great, and once you dial your size in, the fit is spot on too. The prices are also remarkably competitive for other places selling Southwick. I would definitely consider them for a full suit next time I am in the market for one.post #66024 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:55ampost #66025 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:55amQuote:Thanks for the kind words docalden.Quote:Thank you donl.
Awesome loafers sir.post #66026 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:56ampost #66027 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:58amQuote:
Not totally in the wild, but a pic of my "first wear" from a few days ago. Haven't made a final decision on keeping them yet. They look great in person and fit really well, just not sure how much I'll wear I'll get out of them. Got them with the 20% discount so having a hard time convincing myself NOT to keep thempost #66028 of 12241611/13/13 at 8:59ampost #66029 of 12241611/13/13 at 9:12ampost #66030 of 12241611/13/13 at 9:28am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 29 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 51 seconds ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › SNS Herning Stark Cardigan Burgundy M 2 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › Briefcase porn thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...