or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4401  

post #66001 of 122416

PSA: If you're ever wanted to put your toe...into the wild world of OVER THE CALF (OTC) socks Lands' End has a terrific deal on Merino Wool OTCs.

 

http://www.landsend.com/products/nqp-mens-wool-rib-over-the-calf-dress-socks-2-pack/id_262142

 

They're $6.99 for two pair and 30% off - making them $2.44/pair. They have Navy, Brown, and Khaki.

 

I own these and will say the Not Quite Perfect area of Lands' End has never let me down. I've never been able to see any defect in them.

 

I own 6 pairs of these and I can confirm they're awesome socks.

post #66002 of 122416
A lot of people on the forum seem to have disdain for the J Crew suiting, but I like then - they fit well and many are made of good fabrics. I will likely get their Harris Tweed herringbone suit.

Brooks Brothers is fine if you can get the suits on sale during the 2 for 1500 and they fit you reasonably well OTR. Some are made in the US, some Italy, etc. I don't know as much about their Golden Fleece suits.
post #66003 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

A lot of people on the forum seem to have disdain for the J Crew suiting, but I like then - they fit well and many are made of good fabrics. I will likely get their Harris Tweed herringbone suit.



Brooks Brothers is fine if you can get the suits on sale during the 2 for 1500 and they fit you reasonably well OTR. Some are made in the US, some Italy, etc. I don't know as much about their Golden Fleece suits.

 



I have no problem with the construction of JCrew suits and general styling, but I HATE the extra skinny lapels. They should revisit this. Keep it at 2.5-3"
post #66004 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by katch View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

A lot of people on the forum seem to have disdain for the J Crew suiting, but I like then - they fit well and many are made of good fabrics. I will likely get their Harris Tweed herringbone suit.



Brooks Brothers is fine if you can get the suits on sale during the 2 for 1500 and they fit you reasonably well OTR. Some are made in the US, some Italy, etc. I don't know as much about their Golden Fleece suits.

 



I have no problem with the construction of JCrew suits and general styling, but I HATE the extra skinny lapels. They should revisit this. Keep it at 2.5-3"

 

My main issue with J. Crew's suits is that I feel J. Crew fails to adequately pass along the cost savings garnered from their China manufacture.  The pants are around $200, which is no steal, and the jackets, while lower than most at around $450, certainly aren't cheap.  Add in alterations -- which would be included on a full price suit at a men's shop -- and you're into entry level Southwick and Sammy pricing.  

 

Anyway, back to the important topic here.  I'd really love to join all of you and wear my Whiskey PTBs today, but tonight is bar trivia night and I just don't want to take that risk.

post #66005 of 122416

happy whiskey Wednesday folks.

ravello nst today

 

post #66006 of 122416
^ @brp2 - Alden needs an Amber Ale or Golden Lager shell PTB to meet your niche needs. If everybody drinks whiskey, you'd be ok.
post #66007 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I'm waiting for the day when someone at work or my wife catches on to the fact that I only wear these shoes on Wednesdays...
Thus having to explain the weekly holiday, Whiskey Wednesday!

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

a fine pair of shoes to wear every Wednesday. looking good sir.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

Happy Whiskey Wednesday!

excellent shine, enjoy your day.

post #66008 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp2 View Post
 

 

My main issue with J. Crew's suits is that I feel J. Crew fails to adequately pass along the cost savings garnered from their China manufacture.  The pants are around $200, which is no steal, and the jackets, while lower than most at around $450, certainly aren't cheap.  Add in alterations -- which would be included on a full price suit at a men's shop -- and you're into entry level Southwick and Sammy pricing.  

 

Anyway, back to the important topic here.  I'd really love to join all of you and wear my Whiskey PTBs today, but tonight is bar trivia night and I just don't want to take that risk.

A fair point for sure. JCrew probably is able to maintain this business model because their suiting represents a solid step up from the likes of Banana Republic and H&M or an entry level Macy's-type suit. They are probably willing to give up attracting the more knowledgeable sartorialists and distinguished gents who might go either classical and do Brooks Brothers or go toward a high end, boutique-y men's shop.

 

I make sure that JCrew always applies the educational discount (I maintain a university affiliation with some of my work) and I look for season-ending sales, etc. or talk to the personal stylists, who are sometimes glad to throw in additional discounts.

 

I hear you about protecting your important shells when going out to something like a bar scene. What are folks using as their beater Aldens (besides Indies on commando for yard work)? I'm ever more curious after seeing that recent pic of the AF53, which looked wonderfully lived in, yet still distinctive.

post #66009 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

happy whiskey Wednesday folks.

ravello nst today

 

Flawless. MrDV, when you and DonL give the seminar entitled How to Be a Man 101: Elegant Dressing, please let me know so I can sign up for it immediately :cheers:

post #66010 of 122416
Are the JCrew jackets even half canvas? I like JCrew but I see no value in their suits, even on sale. And I agree with the comment on the skinny lapels. Not for me.

Once or twice a year you can get terrific deals on BB. I scored a great Golden Fleece suit at about $900 down from $2000, plus a couple of $1100 suits at about $575.
post #66011 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Are the JCrew jackets even half canvas? I like JCrew but I see no value in their suits, even on sale. And I agree with the comment on the skinny lapels. Not for me.

I would agree; no canvass, no value. No value, no matter.

post #66012 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinopcollector View Post

Color 8 shoes and belt with black pants, yes or no?

I do it. The thought used to frighten me, but I got over the fear earlier this year and now do it quite often. I think they work quite well together.
post #66013 of 122416

MrDV - those Ravello NST's are perfect

 

Whisjkey Wednesday - LHS today

 

post #66014 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

A fair point for sure. JCrew probably is able to maintain this business model because their suiting represents a solid step up from the likes of Banana Republic and H&M or an entry level Macy's-type suit. They are probably willing to give up attracting the more knowledgeable sartorialists and distinguished gents who might go either classical and do Brooks Brothers or go toward a high end, boutique-y men's shop.

I make sure that JCrew always applies the educational discount (I maintain a university affiliation with some of my work) and I look for season-ending sales, etc. or talk to the personal stylists, who are sometimes glad to throw in additional discounts.

I hear you about protecting your important shells when going out to something like a bar scene. What are folks using as their beater Aldens (besides Indies on commando for yard work)? I'm ever more curious after seeing that recent pic of the AF53, which looked wonderfully lived in, yet still distinctive.

I generally bought suits from Brooks Brothers or Barneys during their sales, and will do so in the future. What attracts me to J Crew is that is is simpler and easier for me to get a good fit. Get the right pants and jacket and minimal tailoring is needed. Walk to the store, get a suit, and it is ready a few days later. Other suits are higher quality, but there is something to achieving a good fit pretty easily.

EDIT - As far as color 8 with black pants, it can work, I've done it, but black shell works better
post #66015 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

A fair point for sure. JCrew probably is able to maintain this business model because their suiting represents a solid step up from the likes of Banana Republic and H&M or an entry level Macy's-type suit. They are probably willing to give up attracting the more knowledgeable sartorialists and distinguished gents who might go either classical and do Brooks Brothers or go toward a high end, boutique-y men's shop.

I make sure that JCrew always applies the educational discount (I maintain a university affiliation with some of my work) and I look for season-ending sales, etc. or talk to the personal stylists, who are sometimes glad to throw in additional discounts.

I hear you about protecting your important shells when going out to something like a bar scene. What are folks using as their beater Aldens (besides Indies on commando for yard work)? I'm ever more curious after seeing that recent pic of the AF53, which looked wonderfully lived in, yet still distinctive.

Apropos of the current conversation, my "beater" Aldens are the tobacco LWBs from J Crew.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.