Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 5:49 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4368post #65506 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #65507 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by GFride
A question about Alden's repair service.
I'm considering the purchase of a pair of #8 LWBs or Shortwings with Commando soles.
Does anyone know whether Alden will resolve them with a different sole if down the road I decide I don't like the Commando on these shoes?
I have a PT boot with Commandos, but obviously this sole would be more limiting in the range of the shoes. I live in an area that receives a fair amount of snow and cold weather so the Commando sole is nice for those conditions.
Any comments on the choice of a long wing vs. short wing with the Commando sole?
Any answers, comments are appreciated, Thanks!
As others have said, Alden will only resole with what the original sole is but there are many credible options available. Alden is commando is different from any other I've seen and is hands-down my preferred choice of soles, regardless of shoes. The profile is so low-key that unless you are doing hand stands no one will know you are wearing them. And in my opinion, they are unparalleled for comfort. I have short wings in commando, longwings in both leather and crepe soles and while the crepe is nice, alden commando is my number one. Here is a picture of my shortwings on commando. Hope this helps.post #65508 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:33pmpost #65509 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:35pmpost #65510 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:39pmpost #65511 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:49pmRegarding the above discussion on Commando, I too really like them (and it is easily my preferred sole for boots). However, I don't find them as low profile as some on this thread, particularly at the heel. This, for me, is neither good nor bad. It just is. Comparatively speaking, Dainite, to my eye, is more low profile than commando. With a Dainite soled shoe, one typically has to see the bottom of the shoe to detect it.post #65512 of 12241611/8/13 at 2:52pmpost #65513 of 12241611/8/13 at 3:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
All accounts I've read over the past few years say that Alden will only resole with what was originally on the shoe/boot. They used to be more willing to change, but no longer.
FWIW, while I understand the desire to have work done by the company that originally made the shoe, there are plenty of capable cobblers that would be willing to accommodate your requests and often at a much better price. B. Nelson in NYC is the one that gets recommended here most often and if you are near a different major metro area, I'm sure there are other good options.
For the question of shortwings or longwings on commando soles... I don't have either on commando (FWIW, I do have LWBs on Dannite, crepe, and red brick rubber though) but would definitely wear longwings on them. For some reason the thought of a shortwing on commando just doesn't sound good to me, although when you're actually wearing it, if it's a low enough profile sole, nobody would probably ever notice.
Thanks for the reply, very helpful! I was initially mainly considering longwings as well, but Trickers, Grenson, etc who do lugged sole brogues primarily do them on the shorting type make up. Perhaps another reason to steer toward a longwing.
Edited by GFride - 11/8/13 at 3:25pmpost #65514 of 12241611/8/13 at 3:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Shawnc
As others have said, Alden will only resole with what the original sole is but there are many credible options available. Alden is commando is different from any other I've seen and is hands-down my preferred choice of soles, regardless of shoes. The profile is so low-key that unless you are doing hand stands no one will know you are wearing them. And in my opinion, they are unparalleled for comfort. I have short wings in commando, longwings in both leather and crepe soles and while the crepe is nice, alden commando is my number one. Here is a picture of my shortwings on commando. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I have some boots with commandos and they are comfortable. This, along with the weather resistance, makes them appealing to me. I was just concerned about buying a shoe with limited versatility. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.post #65515 of 12241611/8/13 at 3:19pmQuote:
It will depend quite a bit on the type of raw denim and also whether you are in the soak or no soak camp. Also as mentioned the color of the shell. The raw denim I prefer is not sanforized and the maker recommends soaking them once before wearing as they shrink considerably. I have not had much trouble with color transfer from these. Another different brand that were worn un-soaked did transfer a bit of color to one of my lighter shoes (not shell). If you are cuffing them then the inside of the fabric will be contacting the shoe and there is less indigo to transfer.post #65516 of 12241611/8/13 at 3:31pmpost #65517 of 12241611/8/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
FWIW, I haven't had any indigo transfer from my denim onto my snuff suede. The same goes for shell. I imagine lighter colors of suede would be prone to color transfer, though.post #65518 of 12241611/8/13 at 4:26pmQuote:Quote:I initially thought about the natural edge but eventually went with the stock.Quote:
Thanks everyone! I have my share of "rare" shells but #8 is one of my favorites. I wear them more than my ravello, whiskey, or cigar for sure.
However, I'm still in line for a pair of whiskey LWB.post #65519 of 12241611/8/13 at 4:37pmQuote:
I never had it as a problem on any of my shoes, no matter the material. Transfer of the indigo to the seat of my Jeep though was another issue.post #65520 of 12241611/8/13 at 4:40pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 seconds ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 9 seconds ago
- › Introduce yourself. 19 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 22 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › White windowpane sport coat - Linen-cotton opinion 4 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...