Thanks Mac...yours as well!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 5:20 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4361post #65402 of 12241611/7/13 at 11:49ampost #65403 of 12241611/7/13 at 11:53amQuote:Sazon: I have to agree. I usually wear my captoes for business casual or when I have a oxford shirt on with jeans. My Indys are super casual, jeans and a Tshirt boots. It would be hard for me to choose between them.
Those navy CXL Indys are enticing!post #65404 of 12241611/7/13 at 11:54ampost #65405 of 12241611/7/13 at 11:57ampost #65406 of 12241611/7/13 at 11:59ampost #65407 of 12241611/7/13 at 12:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
I've really appreciated quite a number of the interesting posts and questions from the last couple of days. It's been intriguing to think about which shoes are our most essential, most versatile and/or most frequently worn and which ones emerge in retrospect as our questionable impulse buys. As I near the one year anniversary of my having discovered Aldens and fallen deeper down the rabbit hole of "nice shoes," I find it useful to try to take a macro-level view of my collection, thinking about where it's been and where it might be heading. In addition, as I contemplate my recent full-disclosure decision to forego the super secret visa vanilla gift card approach and let dear wife in on all styleforum-related purchases, I realize that I want to focus less on the quantity and manic-like excitement that comes from each pulling of the trigger for an Alden shoe and instead want to focus more on the building of as "complete" a footwear wardrobe as possible. Accordingly, a number of thoughts and questions have arisen that I'm hoping will spark a discussion amongst my fellow Alden addicts, as I very much value your opinions, experience and good humor.
For those of you who have bought fine footwear beyond Alden's offerings, where do you see Alden's place within the pantheon of nice shoes? Do you feel it covers all of your various shoe needs adequately or do you find yourself wishing they would branch in another aesthetic or functional direction (and I don't necessarily mean following AE in making god awful sneaker-like creations)? I'm asking this question because a year into the addiction, I think I've learned enough about Alden lasts, construction and materials to begin to see it in comparison with other makers (whereas for the first few months, I didn't even know what a plaza-lasted shoe looked like, let alone where to go about asking after one). For example, I've seen folks allude to Trickers, which I know nothing about other than that they make Barrie-looking boots and brogues. Do you guys think it's worth it to entertain these alternative brands? On the other end of the spectrum, how many of us also are purchasing "nicer" nice shoes such as John Lobbs, Edward Greens and G&Gs? How many are looking into comparable brands such as C&J, AS or Carmina? I've started to read the Edward Green appreciation thread on SF and have been heartened to see the same level of enthusiasm that we have going here (see, e.g., our friend Namor's numerous and illuminative posts on both EG and Alden).
As you reflect on your Alden collections, which shoe types or lasts do you feel are missing or not readily available to you? I love every one of my Aldens and sometimes lament about how infrequently some of them get worn (e.g., my first love, my tobacco fake cxl JCrew lwbs), but sometimes I wish Alden made a chelsea boot or a double monk strap shoe. Where do you guys go looking for such non-Alden fare?
I know this post has ended up long-winded and for that I apologize. I hope this does not sound like a troll post. I obviously know this is an Alden thread and want to stay relevant. I guess I'm just interested in how others relate to the brand as a whole and to what extent it meets the breadth of your style needs. I plan on remaining a loyal follower of this thread, but realize that an inadvertent effect of posting and lurking here has been that I've gained a wider appreciation for style in general as a result. I'm eager to see how others aesthetics have burgeoned or morphed as a result of all the cool posts and camaraderie shared here daily.
Thanks in advance for any comments you guys are willing to share!
Much of one's shoe collection, IMO, has to do with what one does for a living. For example, some have no need for balmorals or double monks. If that is the case, it may be easier for them to stick to Alden-only shoes/boots if that is what they desire.. For those of us who have a need for balmorals or double monks, it is necessary to look elsewhere, particularly if a sleeker last is desired. NOTE: I own black shell and color 8 shell captoe bals (perf tip) - each on Snap Last (Alden for BB) - and really like them, so I am referring to bals beyond those types of models. And, for context, I am one who almost never wears Barrie lasted shoes with a suit. Just overall too bulky for my taste. I realize many do, and that is fine (and my comment is not meant as a criticism of Barries with suits; it's just not for me).
For shell shoes and boots I look primarily to Alden, but have various models (many of which I really like) from makers like C&J, AE, and Carmina. One of the best looking shell boots produced today is the C&J Lindrick, IMO. On the whole I prefer Alden shell finishes to those of other makers, by quite a large margin.
For suede I look primarily to Alden (casual suede) or EG (dressier suede). And I agree with the sentiments on this thread that Alden suede is many times overlooked.
For calf I look primarily to EG, John Lobb, and C&J Handgrade, although I own other brands as well, including Alden.
For loafers of any leather type I look primarily to Alden (1) because I really like the Aberdeen last and (2) I need a narrow width (availability from Alden is decent on this front). Although I do own loafers from other makers too which I really like (ex. EG Belgravia).
Variety is important to me.post #65408 of 12241611/7/13 at 12:03pmpost #65409 of 12241611/7/13 at 12:24pmpost #65410 of 12241611/7/13 at 12:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
me too! However I own so many perf captoe boots and just got these in so it seems a bit redundant...Yet I want them...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
HaHa! Unfortunately, I can relate to this all too well.
-Mikepost #65411 of 12241611/7/13 at 1:48pmJust spent a good hour and a half catching up on this thread while carrying my baby and getting her back to sleep. Some great pictures and some very informative discussions.
This thread might be a constant threat to my bank balance, but it's also an incredible source of knowledge (and wisdom), and a fine community of gentlemen.
And then the alarm clock rings, signaling its time for me to get up (and to do so quietly, so as not to disturb sleeping children). I think today I will choose an outfit with which I can pair my Color #8 LHS. And I will check again the order status of my J. Crew #8 PCT boots.
Carry on, gentlemen.post #65412 of 12241611/7/13 at 1:50pm
Sorry if i'm bringing something back from a while ago. But another member posted this photo (sorry, can't remember who) and it is just simply sublime. I am wondering if anyone can tell me which make-ups, colors, and lasts these are? I understand the shortage in lighter colored shell, but I would like to know anyway, in case it ends when i'm ready to buy. Really want my first pair of aldens when I can free up some funds. Would prefer revello, but #8 would also be nice. Really want a cap-toe boot...post #65413 of 12241611/7/13 at 1:57pmpost #65414 of 12241611/7/13 at 2:08pmpost #65415 of 12241611/7/13 at 2:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by Nakedsnake
Sorry if i'm bringing something back from a while ago. But another member posted this photo (sorry, can't remember who) and it is just simply sublime. I am wondering if anyone can tell me which make-ups, colors, and lasts these are? I understand the shortage in lighter colored shell, but I would like to know anyway, in case it ends when i'm ready to buy. Really want my first pair of aldens when I can free up some funds. Would prefer revello, but #8 would also be nice. Really want a cap-toe boot...
Guessing from the grass and boots that it's MrDV. :-)
I will take a guess at lasts, but I will get them wrong. I think the Cigars at least are Grant. Ravellos look Grant like also. Color 8 look Plaza. Color 4s kind of look Barrie.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 12 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 15 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 16 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 22 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 26 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 30 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 33 minutes ago
- › Orban's - Cheap, affordable European made Goodyear Welted shoes 39 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 41 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...