Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 7:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4355post #65312 of 12241611/6/13 at 3:21pmQuote:
Nice photo. I've owned two versions of cigar NSTS (barrie and Aberdeen) and a barrie whisky NST. Sold em all as they didn't get the wear I expected. I'd gladly take ravello, thoughpost #65313 of 12241611/6/13 at 3:34pmQuote:Wow! $36??
If they're cxl you should be imprisoned, if they're shell #8, you need to go to church and beg for forgiveness.post #65314 of 12241611/6/13 at 3:36pmQuote:
Look like the 984 in calf....not CXL. Reno probably the right call anywaypost #65315 of 12241611/6/13 at 3:40pmpost #65316 of 12241611/6/13 at 3:50pmpost #65317 of 12241611/6/13 at 4:04pm
Tifosi/MrDV - much appreciated guys. Thanks.Quote:
No worries. Glad you enjoyed it.post #65318 of 12241611/6/13 at 4:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
This incisive, elegantly written post is exactly the reason I can't go several hours without checking this thread. Thank you, MP!
This completely makes sense. You don't need the prettiest, most expensive shoe all the time. You need the shoe that fits your mood and your need in a good enough manner. You've expressed my unthought known about why I wasn't gravitating toward Carmina and Vass for longwings, captoes or alt wiens. I agree about the likes of G and G. I think of their shoes as art pieces, but struggle when I think about how I'd have to overhaul my wardrobe toward a more Euro model bent to fit it with the G and G aesthetic.
So this helps me figure out the next few purchases. I'll allow myself to stray from Alden so I can find those double monks and perhaps one or two chelsea boots. I can see there's no need to get caught up in the regular habit of buying $1200 shoes and $150 shoe trees--although there is a seductiveness to the shoe porn and enthusiasm on threads like those about EG. But for more "standard fare," Alden does indeed take care of business. Kind of like opting for an Acura TL, I guess.
Better tends to be a subjective term in this argument. I appreciate each for what they do well. Like any luxury good there is a point of diminishing return. I would say the gap between alden/AE vs ecco, kenneth cole nyc etc. is far greater than that of EG vs. Alden. I purchase EG shoes because of the quality and aesthetics. I recognize the quality of GG and Corthay however both are usually too stylistically forward for my tastes. In terms of EG, i like the channeled soles and antiquing. In terms of Alden color 8 need i say more.post #65319 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:31pmpost #65320 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:36pmpost #65321 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:38pm
I finally got my Whiskey PTBs in the mail today and was super excited (all day) to get them.
I got home and opened them up and started photographing.
The green box of joy!
My new Whiskey PTBs!!!
Again, unfortunately when I took this picture I saw a scratch (HORROR) on the toe area of the left shoe.
Here is a close-up of the scratch. It does not look like something that I could just buff out as it looks like it is at the dye level.
My poor new scratched PTBs. :-(
So, what do you think I should do? The scratch is clearly in the highest visible place of the shoe.
-Sad Mikepost #65322 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:41pmpost #65323 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:43pmpost #65324 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:46pmpost #65325 of 12241611/6/13 at 5:48pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 21 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 43 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 1 minute ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 5 minutes ago
- › S.E.H Kelly 5 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...