Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4351post #65251 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:21ampost #65252 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:24ampost #65253 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:27ampost #65254 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:43amQuote:
My bad...its model 2212 and I believe they are rare Aberdeen models from San Francisco Alden. I have the Barrie NST too from Shoemart.
Stevepost #65255 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:45amQuote:
I believe they are from a few years ago. I bought these new along with a few other rare pairs from Alden San Francisco. A few cigars too, like cigar tassel and cigar NST slip on, and a whiskey full strap slip on.
Stevepost #65256 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:47amQuote:Originally Posted by totalair1
Maiden voyage of my Alden model 2210 Whiskey NST on I think Aberdeen. I think the 2210 is fairly rare in whiskey?
House breaking via the Mac Method.
Happy Whiskey Wednesday! I've seen a lot of great Whiskey make ups today, and some whiskey belt and watch strap combos too! Very, very nice!
These are a grail for me.
Very nice.post #65257 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:48amQuote:
I'm going to debate that response a little bit. These are model 2212, my bad on the typo. I know they are not on Barrie. I think Aberdeen or simlar from San Francisco Alden.
Stevepost #65258 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:50ampost #65259 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:53ampost #65260 of 12241611/6/13 at 9:57ampost #65261 of 12241611/6/13 at 10:00ampost #65262 of 12241611/6/13 at 10:03ampost #65263 of 12241611/6/13 at 10:14amQuote:
I wore this look - light grey slacks and whiskey cordovan longwings (minus the watch) -- yesterday, onTuesday.
Wearing a dark suit today for client business so it is Black Cordovan Perforated Captoe Balmoral Wednesday for me today.
More generally, however, it is Whiskey Weekend in the middle of the week!post #65264 of 12241611/6/13 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
For me, I like most Alden for their current aesthetic and cannot really think of a design I'd like to see them tackle that they do not currently do. I dress in what would probably be considered "trad" most days (3 roll 2 J. Press sack suit with USMC heraldry rep tie today) and find the shape of the Barrie and Van lasts compliment my style nicely. When I do venture outside of Alden, it's most often to Rancourt and Tricker's, so there really isn't even that much aesthetic variety in my closet. Another reason I generally stick to Alden (and Rancourt and Tricker's) is that they have many options that transition very easily from casual, to business casual, to business dress. I've seen some Vass and Edward Green that I really like as well, but the price is generally more than I'm willing to pay and they don't look like they would work in the casual settings as easily for me.
Corthay and G&G are interesting shoemakers to me - they make some absolutely gorgeous footwear but they are generally just too sleek for my tastes and I would probably not get much use out of them.
In the end for me, Alden seems to hit my sweet spot for cost, construction quality, aesthetics, versatility, and availability. IMO, Rancourt beats them on cost and availability but they are too casual; Tricker's is comparable to Alden on cost and may beat them on construction quality (it's a very close battle between the two for all the stuff I've handled from each), but loses out on versatility (I really only like their more casual or "country" lines) and availability here in the states, Vass often beats Alden on aesthetics and I'm sure the construction is great, but they lose out on price and availability for me... etc.
Alden may not be the best in every regard but they hit enough of the right marks to keep me coming back.
This incisive, elegantly written post is exactly the reason I can't go several hours without checking this thread. Thank you, MP!
This completely makes sense. You don't need the prettiest, most expensive shoe all the time. You need the shoe that fits your mood and your need in a good enough manner. You've expressed my unthought known about why I wasn't gravitating toward Carmina and Vass for longwings, captoes or alt wiens. I agree about the likes of G and G. I think of their shoes as art pieces, but struggle when I think about how I'd have to overhaul my wardrobe toward a more Euro model bent to fit it with the G and G aesthetic.
So this helps me figure out the next few purchases. I'll allow myself to stray from Alden so I can find those double monks and perhaps one or two chelsea boots. I can see there's no need to get caught up in the regular habit of buying $1200 shoes and $150 shoe trees--although there is a seductiveness to the shoe porn and enthusiasm on threads like those about EG. But for more "standard fare," Alden does indeed take care of business. Kind of like opting for an Acura TL, I guess.post #65265 of 12241611/6/13 at 10:49am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 11 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 15 minutes ago
- › patrickBOOTH's Third-of-Life Crisis and (Mostly) Self-Imposed... 17 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 21 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 23 minutes ago
- › Suit too tight? 24 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 28 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...