Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4310post #64636 of 12241610/30/13 at 9:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #64637 of 12241610/30/13 at 9:36pmpost #64638 of 12241610/30/13 at 9:48pmpost #64639 of 12241610/30/13 at 9:50pmQuote:
I go 1/2 size down for Barrie. Most on this thread do. Incidentally, the official Alden advice is to keep the same size and go down one width.post #64640 of 12241610/30/13 at 9:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by Profligate47
I really like these two models from Epaulet and cannot decide between the two. I need a casual shoe for minor weather--i.e., rain, light snow etc. I want a commando sole and if I could combine these two, I'd be home free.
I like the closed heel, commando, and eyelets on the blucher, but dislike the white ?? welt. Possibly Nick could darken?
I like the wingtip but not the extended heel (360 welt?) and not sure of waterlock sole since I've never had it.
Any comments welcomed...
I own the salzburger and bought it as a foul weather shoe. For me this model wins out by virtue of its Aberdeen last, and for other reasons.post #64641 of 12241610/30/13 at 10:00pmQuote:
I find the Lindrick (and Marlow) to fit slightly more snug than Barrie. For those two models I went TTS. The Gianni I ordered was TTS. It was huge, and went back. It was not available in my Barrie size.post #64642 of 12241610/30/13 at 10:28pmpost #64643 of 12241610/31/13 at 2:12ampost #64644 of 12241610/31/13 at 5:32ampost #64645 of 12241610/31/13 at 5:35amQuote:Originally Posted by Shawnc
I have yet to replicate the feeling my feet experience when I wear Alden commando. Additionally, on my short-wings, the commando sole is so discrete that it doesn't (IMO) take away from the shoe being dressy. Having said that, I would go with the short wings simply because they are a stunning shoe and I'm superficial so I have no problem choosing style over substance (and it's not like I've ever worn uncomfortable Alden's).
Just my .02.......Quote:Originally Posted by budapest12
I've thought about these before and basically came to the same conclusion -- I'd want the shortwing but with the commando sole. TBH, I'd probably opt for the carmina alt wien in scotch grain - or else pay another $130 or so and grab the shortwings in #8 on commando from A-O-C. Just me.Quote:Quote:
Thanks to all. It's unanamous for the short wing...post #64646 of 12241610/31/13 at 5:46amQuote:
This is a helpful exchange. For those with Cap Toe boots, i'm curious about your experience/preference. I would normally size down on the Barrie just like with the trubalance, but I'm a bit concerned about creasing in the cap toe area. Do folks normally err on the side of a little longer shoe/boot for cap toes to avoid that problem (say, going TTS on a Barrie instead of sizing down)?post #64647 of 12241610/31/13 at 6:17amQuote:I thought I read that if the shoe is too big it will crease in the cap. Not too small. I guess it also depends on the length of the actual cap...Originally Posted by gosheik
This is a helpful exchange. For those with Cap Toe boots, i'm curious about your experience/preference. I would normally size down on the Barrie just like with the trubalance, but I'm a bit concerned about creasing in the cap toe area. Do folks normally err on the side of a little longer shoe/boot for cap toes to avoid that problem (say, going TTS on a Barrie instead of sizing down)?
My boots crease in the cap and I couldn't care less. YMMV.post #64648 of 12241610/31/13 at 6:21ampost #64649 of 12241610/31/13 at 6:36am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Currently, there are 1026 Active Users (182 Members and 844 Guests)
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › LEMAIRE 1 minute ago
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 2 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 9 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?