Looking great El. That is one super long tie!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 12:32 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4279post #64171 of 12241610/27/13 at 3:05pmpost #64172 of 12241610/27/13 at 3:21pmpost #64173 of 12241610/27/13 at 3:23pmpost #64174 of 12241610/27/13 at 3:32pmpost #64175 of 12241610/27/13 at 3:39pmpost #64176 of 12241610/27/13 at 3:44pmQuote:
I think the amount of bloom depends on the way the particular batch of shell was tanned - some of the older exotics are much oilier than others. I know from my own experience that some older Aldens bloom a lot (especially my 8 year old cigar LWB). They have a noticeable bloom after a week and a significant one after a month. But it is nothing that a couple of quick brushes can't fix.post #64177 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:14pmQuote:Thanks! Yours are looking great! I don't have the patience to break my shoes in. I take them out of the box, put them on and go about my normal business. Maybe someday I'll try it and see if it makes any difference.Originally Posted by dusttruffle
great looking boots tifosi, but i would say that.
tifosi's boots twins - after three days indoors to break in.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #64178 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:16pmpost #64179 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:19pm
talking of "bloom", having just given my #8's their first brush the penny dropped about an aspect of the mac method that i have not seen explicitly stated.
i am sure it will have been and it is just that i missed it. Nevertheless i think it is worth stating.
Typically for me (luck wise) on the first day of wear the weather god's decided that there would be the lightest of showers (the worst kind of weather for shell perhaps?)
Getting home after a nice 3->4 mile round trip .... I was interested to discover that indeed some water spots/welts had appeared.
Now i am not going to baby these as my preference is for patina over pristine - so there was no panic - but i thought "let's give this mac method a go!"
Quick wipe down with a damp cloth and the vigorous brushing begins ....
- "oh the new shine has dulled quite a bit" ...... brush brush brush
- "well this seems to just be getting worse .....brush brush brush
- "how does mcarthur get that shine?" .....brush brush brush
Then it dawned on my that i had misunderstood.
It isn't the brushing that produces the shine, the brushing brings out the "fats" which then act like a cream when buffed with a dry cloth.
It isn't the brushing that produces the shine, it is the buffing with the cloth.
Disclaimer : I may be very wrong but that was the impression from my lifetime/day one experience of shell cordovan.
Couple of other points
post #64180 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:20pmpost #64181 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:28pmpost #64182 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:28pmpost #64183 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:35pmQuote:
- Commando soles / Indy Boots are incredibly comfortable.
- I love the look of a mint/unspoiled condition Alden, but there is something I love more about the look of shell Aldens that have only just been broken in and have yet to make their way outside. I think it is because they are brand new / mint condition - but they belong to someone. Or maybe it is just how I feel about mine!
Are the Ravello Chukkas from the recent 2nds/closeouts TSM deal?they look awesome.
Edited by epc2 - 10/27/13 at 5:15pmpost #64184 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:53pmQuote:Outstanding boots dusttruffle! Congrats and enjoy. Wear them in the best of health.Originally Posted by dusttruffle
[*] Commando soles / Indy Boots are incredibly comfortable.
[*] I love the look of a mint/unspoiled condition Alden, but there is something I love more about the look of shell Aldens that have only just been broken in and have yet to make their way outside. I think it is because they are brand new / mint condition - but they belong to someone. Or maybe it is just how I feel about mine!
[/LIST]post #64185 of 12241610/27/13 at 4:56pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 9 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 33 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 42 seconds ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 49 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ♕♕♕OFFICIAL SW&D BALLER SLEEP THREAD♕♕♕ 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...