Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4187  

post #62791 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Brilliant Uncle! If you, (or anyone else) were looking to acquire a black or #8 shell bal oxford… having neither in your wardrobe … which style/color would you choose?

1. Straight tip
2. Perf. Cap
3. Medallion Cap
4. Wing tip

… almost pulled the trigger on a black AE Park Ave on eBay, but came back to the light wink.gif

I too do not have a shell bal, but would probably go with a straight tip. It's interesting that the perf tip is the stock/most common style for Alden bals, whereas the straight tip is the stock style for Alden bluchers.
post #62792 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

cap toe group shot

 

 

 

I need to send all my shell to you and pay you to shine them up lol.. I'm a rook when it comes to it

post #62793 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil rathbone View Post

I measure 9E on a brannock. What size would you guys recommend for the Leydon last? TTS? Unlined chukkas if that changes anything. Thanks in advance. 

I'm 13D on the Brannock. I found 13D in Leydon (unlined chukka) was too narrow so had to go for 13E which fit great. This would make you 9EE - hard to find?!
post #62794 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

cap toe group shot



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

nephew,

good shine on your good looking cap toe boot family
post #62795 of 122416
Marble suede from Très Bien

post #62796 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Brilliant Uncle! If you, (or anyone else) were looking to acquire a black or #8 shell bal oxford… having neither in your wardrobe … which style/color would you choose?

1. Straight tip
2. Perf. Cap
3. Medallion Cap
4. Wing tip

… almost pulled the trigger on a black AE Park Ave on eBay, but came back to the light wink.gif

nephew,

thank you
if you wear a suit several times a week, I would go for black cap toe.
for the king, I would go also for cap toe
post #62797 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
black WT
argyles otc Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Good sir, your wingtips are quite sublime and very well polished.
post #62798 of 122416

Welcome back Uncle

post #62799 of 122416
Mr DV - i'd adopt any member of your family !

Uncle Mac - welcome back ! Great to see you with us again and your black WTs are looking sharp!
post #62800 of 122416
I picked up my first pair of shell #8 captoe commandos a few weeks ago and have been looking for an answer that will help me with break in. I stare at them daily pondering how I should go about doing this and if I'm missing anything... I did pick up a horsehair brush, cedar shoe trees, Saphir Renovateur, and color 8 cordovan paste wax (both of which I've not used yet).

I've read Mac's break-in guide to wearing them for 3 sessions on carpet (which I've yet to do), but also flipping through some of the pictures in this thread have noticed that the shine on most of the boots I see are crisp and extremely polished, but out of the box, mine seem like they have a light oily sheen on them. I've tried brushing it out with no application of any creme or product. Some parts of the boot still look a bit "oily" while some parts are a little dull (as opposed to having a wet nail polish look I see in a lot of the pictures in this thread).

Is this shine developed over time? Does anyone apply anything prior to wearing them for the first time ever? (Sorry for asking questions that may have already been asked and answered)

I'll try to post some pics to show what I mean when I can. Thanks!
post #62801 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by krackpot View Post

I picked up my first pair of shell #8 captoe commandos a few weeks ago and have been looking for an answer that will help me with break in. I stare at them daily pondering how I should go about doing this and if I'm missing anything... I did pick up a horsehair brush, cedar shoe trees, Saphir Renovateur, and color 8 cordovan paste wax (both of which I've not used yet).

I've read Mac's break-in guide to wearing them for 3 sessions on carpet (which I've yet to do), but also flipping through some of the pictures in this thread have noticed that the shine on most of the boots I see are crisp and extremely polished, but out of the box, mine seem like they have a light oily sheen on them. I've tried brushing it out with no application of any creme or product. Some parts of the boot still look a bit "oily" while some parts are a little dull (as opposed to having a wet nail polish look I see in a lot of the pictures in this thread).

Is this shine developed over time? Does anyone apply anything prior to wearing them for the first time ever? (Sorry for asking questions that may have already been asked and answered)

I'll try to post some pics to show what I mean when I can. Thanks!

My guess is that there are many ways to get to where you're trying to go. As a relative newbie, I will tell you that I had the same sense of slight disappointment 6 months ago when I purchased my firs pair of new Alden's. They were a color 8 chukka in commando. I brushed until my arm almost fell off but could not get the shine I envied from reading this site.

Ultimately what worked for me turned out to be quite easy. I took a damp rag and wiped the shoes down. Lightly dried them with a clean cotton rag. Brushed for a few moments. Applied renovateur, brushed some more and then lightly wiped (buffed) with the same cotton cloth. The last step is optional as you should see the shine you seek after brushing the renovateur.

This has become my go-to routine on my color 8 maintenance, minus the renovateur as I only apply it after every 10-15 brushings.

Hope this helps.
post #62802 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



black WT
argyles otc

Great to see you back my good friend!!  Looking wonderful as usual uncle!

post #62803 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by krackpot View Post

I picked up my first pair of shell #8 captoe commandos a few weeks ago and have been looking for an answer that will help me with break in. I stare at them daily pondering how I should go about doing this and if I'm missing anything... I did pick up a horsehair brush, cedar shoe trees, Saphir Renovateur, and color 8 cordovan paste wax (both of which I've not used yet).

I've read Mac's break-in guide to wearing them for 3 sessions on carpet (which I've yet to do), but also flipping through some of the pictures in this thread have noticed that the shine on most of the boots I see are crisp and extremely polished, but out of the box, mine seem like they have a light oily sheen on them. I've tried brushing it out with no application of any creme or product. Some parts of the boot still look a bit "oily" while some parts are a little dull (as opposed to having a wet nail polish look I see in a lot of the pictures in this thread).

Is this shine developed over time? Does anyone apply anything prior to wearing them for the first time ever? (Sorry for asking questions that may have already been asked and answered)

I'll try to post some pics to show what I mean when I can. Thanks!

I always apply a coat of Alden's leather defender on my shells before wearing them for the first time.  Depending on how much I wear them, I may add another coat a few months later or otherwise as needed.

 

I get a decent shine by wiping the shoe with a damp cloth, allowing to dry, brushing for about 10 minutes per shoe, and then finishing with a buffing cloth.  I personally believe that the buffing cloth is what brings out the glasslike shine.  I only apply Paste/Renovateur when shoes are looking really dull or dry, or I'm tired of the visible crease lines (especially color 8).

 

Let us know how things progress.

post #62804 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Snob View Post

I always apply a coat of Alden's leather defender on my shells before wearing them for the first time.  Depending on how much I wear them, I may add another coat a few months later or otherwise as needed.

Just curious, when you apply defender, do you apply it directly to the shoe or to the rag and wipe on the shoe, or do you think it doesn't matter?
post #62805 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Just curious, when you apply defender, do you apply it directly to the shoe or to the rag and wipe on the shoe, or do you think it doesn't matter?

I do the latter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.