Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4179post #62671 of 12241610/10/13 at 1:47pmpost #62672 of 12241610/10/13 at 1:53pmpost #62673 of 12241610/10/13 at 1:55pmpost #62674 of 12241610/10/13 at 2:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by aldenfan
Thanks, I was really bummed when I noticed it but it is reassuring they aren't ruined permanently.
I have some reno and saphir cordovan cream I will try on it too if brushing/buffing doesn't do it alone. Waiting on some nitrile disposable gloves to arrive before I use reno again though. First time I used it with my bare hands and then I decided the smell stayed on my hands and I am worried whatever in it might not be good for my hands. Anyone else use gloves when using shoe products? Any recommendations on how you do it?
I dont' wear gloves, never noticed any smell on my hands after using it. I think the stuff smells good
I'd caution against spot treating with cordovan cream, as it darkens the color a little bit with its increased moisture.
I'd use reno, and paste wax to cover it up if necessary. Good Luck.post #62675 of 12241610/10/13 at 2:00pmpost #62676 of 12241610/10/13 at 3:37pmpost #62677 of 12241610/10/13 at 3:45pmpost #62678 of 12241610/10/13 at 5:03pmAnother question for the community. Got my jcrew LWB's with the 25% coupon. Unfortunately they did come with the darker welt as others suggested they would. At 75% of retail, I can live with that but there is another issue and I wanted your opinion on whether this is common and something I have to learn to live with or if I should return them as defective.
While it is not apparent in all lighting conditions, in some light it is clear that not enough dye was applied to the tongue on the left shoe. The first pic shows the difference while the second one does not.
So what do you think? Have you kept new shoes with much worse?post #62679 of 12241610/10/13 at 5:05pmpost #62680 of 12241610/10/13 at 5:17pmpost #62681 of 12241610/10/13 at 5:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Shawnc
Another question for the community. Got my jcrew LWB's with the 25% coupon. Unfortunately they did come with the darker welt as others suggested they would. At 75% of retail, I can live with that but there is another issue and I wanted your opinion on whether this is common and something I have to learn to live with or if I should return them as defective.
While it is not apparent in all lighting conditions, in some light it is clear that not enough dye was applied to the tongue on the left shoe. The first pic shows the difference while the second one does not. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
So what do you think? Have you kept new shoes with much worse?
It is not hard to find uneven dye on #8 shell.
As the uneven dye shown on your shoe is on the tongue and with 25% off,
I will say keep them, because who can see the uneven dye when the shoes are laced except you?post #62682 of 12241610/10/13 at 5:43pmQuote:
Because I often cross my legs when sitting it may be visible more often than it would be for those who sit with both feet on the ground. Additionally it's not like the laces will be drawn so tightly that it will cover it up. Having said that, I tend to agree with you and am leaning toward keeping. I love the shoes (minus the dark welt which I just strongly like) and at 25% off, my price was less than the cost of a comparable pair of calfskins. And your response hit on a key point that I was looking for. That being that uneven dye is not that uncommon on color 8's. My guess is that I may notice it for the first two or three wears and then forget about. Gonna think on it tonight since I would like to wear them tomorrow.
Thanks for the input.post #62683 of 12241610/10/13 at 6:22pmpost #62684 of 12241610/10/13 at 6:30pmQuote:
2nd this. saphir cordovan is much more forgiving and just as effective as alden cordovan paste. alden paste tends to dry up much faster and leaves its residue behindpost #62685 of 12241610/10/13 at 6:35pmGentlemen, it's not that I'm lazy, but does anyone know who offers a Trubalance lasted, even though plaza lasted boots do look really cool, shell Indy boot on either a commando or crepe sole that comes with speed hooks for easy on and off. Thanks.
Edited by BeSpiffington - 10/10/13 at 6:52pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 34 seconds ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 1 minute ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hermes Agenda Refill Alternatives? 9 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Junkard Boots 12 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 12 minutes ago
- › BNIB Carlos Santos Balmoral Boot in brown patina 12 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...