or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4089  

post #61321 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLVol View Post
 

That would be me....can't wait to see them in person!

 

Glad that I was outbid at the last minute on a traditional Aberdeen monk with gold buckle a couple of weeks ago.

 

I will definitely let you know if they do not work out for some reason in case you are still interested.

 

^^^^^^^^

 

All right, who got the size 11 NWOB LS plaza last 8 monk strap shoe on eBay last night for $350? I wasn't planning to pull the trigger on them, but I must admit to a slight tinge of disappointment when they sold about 20 minutes after I noticed them. Congratulations!

 

 

^^^^^^^^

Sorry....I meant to quote rather than reply.....will post some pics once they arrive.

post #61322 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanil View Post
 

A lot of experienced Alden owners here and I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask my question. I'm interested in purchasing a pair of suede Alden's, maybe boots or a chukka or a PTB, still undecided... any thoughts or reviews on the material and comfort level? how about upkeep over time? Any model that stands out best in suede? 

 

I already own a pair of cigar shell captoe boots and black calfskin NST's and I want to diversify a bit. Would appreciate any feedback.

 

They are very comfortable, especially the unlined models.  I have Snuff LHS and Tan Suede SWB's from J Crew.  Love them both and believe they hold up well.  Suede is pretty forgiving.

post #61323 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

 

Many here love the unlined suede PTBs.  I have a tan pair and enjoy them, but my favorite suede make-up from Alden is the snuff LWB.  Very comfortable and pretty versatile too.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Tan suede, unlined PTB

Thank you for your thoughts and I love the pics. They both look fantastic.. I'm gravitating towards the PTBs since I already have a pair of LWBs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
 

 

They are very comfortable, especially the unlined models.  I have Snuff LHS and Tan Suede SWB's from J Crew.  Love them both and believe they hold up well.  Suede is pretty forgiving.

 

Oh I never considered the LHS, I'll look into that. 

post #61324 of 122416
Shanil, I love the way my ravello chukkas look. However they probably are worn the least as the limitations that stem from only having two eyelets cause a problem for me. There is a little bit too much slippage for my liking. Perhaps on a narrower last they would work better for me.
post #61325 of 122416
Have a cobbler put in an extra pair of eyelets.
post #61326 of 122416
I was worried that might throw the aesthetics as the spacing may be off. I seem to remember someone doing this without success.
post #61327 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn View Post


Sadly i did not. I could not wait to wear them. I was planning to install the taps anyway. I have them on most of my shoes to prevent wear.

I can understand your impatience.  I have a pair that I haven't had a chance to wear yet just because I haven't had a chance to break them in properly.  My point being, when we are busy, it is hard to find time to employ the mac-break in.  When we have some free time, we often have other things that we'd rather do than pace around on carpet to break in new shoes.

 

Also, FWIW, when I break shoes in properly, the toe really doesn't seem to wear any faster than the rest of the sole, (minus the back of the heel.)  At least not that I can notice.  In other words, I noticed that taps don't seem to be necessary if the method is thoroughly employed.

 

If you like to put taps on anyway, then I won't try to change your position on the matter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanil View Post
 

A lot of experienced Alden owners here and I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask my question. I'm interested in purchasing a pair of suede Alden's, maybe boots or a chukka or a PTB, still undecided... any thoughts or reviews on the material and comfort level? how about upkeep over time? Any model that stands out best in suede? 

 

I already own a pair of cigar shell captoe boots and black calfskin NST's and I want to diversify a bit. Would appreciate any feedback.

It depends on personal preference.  You most likely prefer one suede model to another, right?  So just go by that.  (Not sure if you are looking to determine which model will draw the maximum amount of approval of those who frequent this thread or something.)

 

Comfort will depend on lined vs unlined, sole type, and how much the last agrees with the shape of your foot.  Darker colors will show soil/stains less over time, but other than the Mocha Kids, I think that the other suede types are just different color variants on the same type of suede.  IOW, tan and snuff are the same type of suede, just dyed different colors  (Someone please correct me if you know this to be false.)  I guess I have seen a few make-ups on TSM that say Repello Suede, so those would be further exceptions to my statement.

 

If you really can't figure out which model/color you like the most, consider what will go best with what you typically wear?  Would a Balmoral or Tassel be too formal?  Maybe a chukka or blucher is more appropriate for your casual style?  What colors do you normally wear?  That will help decide what color suede would work best.  Or are you looking for something that is the most different from what you already have in order to maximize the contrast in your line-up?  For what reason are you interested in suede?  Provide these details and we will be in a better position to advise you.

 

Edit:

 

Tan or snuff PTB might be a good all-arounder.  Unless you are looking for something a little more jazzy, like a blue LWB?

post #61328 of 122416
I am getting conflicting advice about alden shoe trees for shell indy size 8D

Aldenshop recommended small and j Gilbert think medium would be more appropriate.

Any other 8D indy boot owners around?
I realise that 8D is right on the divide of small and Medium - I guess the concern is stretching vs not enough tension.

Perhaps overthinking, just got the ""they have arrived" email from Yenni. Have to say throughout the process of this preorder - my maiden Alden purchase - the service from Yenni has been first class.
post #61329 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusttruffle View Post

I am getting conflicting advice about alden shoe trees for shell indy size 8D

Aldenshop recommended small and j Gilbert think medium would be more appropriate.

Any other 8D indy boot owners around?
I realise that 8D is right on the divide of small and Medium - I guess the concern is stretching vs not enough tension.

Perhaps overthinking, just got the ""they have arrived" email from Yenni. Have to say throughout the process of this preorder - my maiden Alden purchase - the service from Yenni has been first class.
I agree 100% about Yenni! Just got my email yesterday!

I am an 8.5 Brannock and I wear an 8D in Trubalance and Barrie. I use size small trees(any manufacturer) in all my shoes.
post #61330 of 122416
Im in the same boat, I got with the medium trees.
post #61331 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

It depends on personal preference.  You most likely prefer one suede model to another, right?  So just go by that.  (Not sure if you are looking to determine which model will draw the maximum amount of approval of those who frequent this thread or something.)

 

Comfort will depend on lined vs unlined, sole type, and how much the last agrees with the shape of your foot.  Darker colors will show soil/stains less over time, but other than the Mocha Kids, I think that the other suede types are just different color variants on the same type of suede.  IOW, tan and snuff are the same type of suede, just dyed different colors  (Someone please correct me if you know this to be false.)  I guess I have seen a few make-ups on TSM that say Repello Suede, so those would be further exceptions to my statement.

 

If you really can't figure out which model/color you like the most, consider what will go best with what you typically wear?  Would a Balmoral or Tassel be too formal?  Maybe a chukka or blucher is more appropriate for your casual style?  What colors do you normally wear?  That will help decide what color suede would work best.  Or are you looking for something that is the most different from what you already have in order to maximize the contrast in your line-up?  For what reason are you interested in suede?  Provide these details and we will be in a better position to advise you.

 

Edit:

 

Tan or snuff PTB might be a good all-arounder.  Unless you are looking for something a little more jazzy, like a blue LWB?

 

With regards to model, of course it's subjective.. I've always felt that certain leathers lend themselves to certain designs better than others, and since I have very little experience with suede I was just looking for experienced opinions to help me identify a few standout designs.

 

I have a fairly narrow heel so wider lasts tend to disagree with me, but I'm partial to a rounded toe. I'm looking to add some diversity to my lineup and since I already have captoe boots, a NST and a LWB, something like an LHS or PTB seems to make sense (a tassel might be just a bit too aggressive for me at this point). I'd probably want to stick with a standard tan or snuff. I wear jeans about as frequently as I wear wool pants, I'm partial to navy and gray but also have earthy tones in my wardrobe.. I can make most designs work, I'm just looking for recommendations until one catches my eye! So far the Tan PTB is the front-runner.

post #61332 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusttruffle View Post

I am getting conflicting advice about alden shoe trees for shell indy size 8D

Aldenshop recommended small and j Gilbert think medium would be more appropriate.

Any other 8D indy boot owners around?
I realise that 8D is right on the divide of small and Medium - I guess the concern is stretching vs not enough tension.

Perhaps overthinking, just got the ""they have arrived" email from Yenni. Have to say throughout the process of this preorder - my maiden Alden purchase - the service from Yenni has been first class.

 

Yenni is awesome!

 
I used to go with M and now I go with S. There are two small lines ont he front of my one my shell boots that I feel like are from pressure from the shoe tree. This may be completely irrational and non-sensical but they were the only pair I was using a M on. I feel like the S fills out plenty for me
post #61333 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I agree 100% about Yenni! Just got my email yesterday!

I am an 8.5 Brannock and I wear an 8D in Trubalance and Barrie. I use size small trees(any manufacturer) in all my shoes.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Im in the same boat, I got with the medium trees.

 

Pretty sure either would work.  Going with Yenni's recommendation.
post #61334 of 122416
Originally Posted by Shanil View Post
 

 

With regards to model, of course it's subjective.. I've always felt that certain leathers lend themselves to certain designs better than others, and since I have very little experience with suede I was just looking for experienced opinions to help me identify a few standout designs.

 

I have a fairly narrow heel so wider lasts tend to disagree with me, but I'm partial to a rounded toe. I'm looking to add some diversity to my lineup and since I already have captoe boots, a NST and a LWB, something like an LHS or PTB seems to make sense (a tassel might be just a bit too aggressive for me at this point). I'd probably want to stick with a standard tan or snuff. I wear jeans about as frequently as I wear wool pants, I'm partial to navy and gray but also have earthy tones in my wardrobe.. I can make most designs work, I'm just looking for recommendations until one catches my eye! So far the Tan PTB is the front-runner.

 

Check PM

post #61335 of 122416

It also depends on the shoe tree. I have switched over to Woodlore Ultra and Epic for most of my trees and they have different sizing recommendations.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.