Appreciate if you could share it here. Thanks!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 3:49 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4061post #60901 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:15ampost #60902 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:21ampost #60903 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:26amQuote:Originally Posted by aldenwear
Over thinking. A correctly made pair of shoes you don't have to take to different places, put in different light, move from one side to another to change angles, squint, bounce on your feet while chanting your mantra to convince yourself they look good. That pair consists of two shoes of two different colors. If it walks like a duck, etc.I, for one, would not pay good money for shoes that are obviously different and hope that some time in the future that I might get what I paid for. I would be better off planning for my retirement by expecting to, by the beginning of the NBA season, grow 18 inches, lose decades of age and take LeBron James's job away from him.
I disagree. Those shoes do not look that drastic to me. I think that there are natural occurrences and differences in leatherpost #60904 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:27ampost #60905 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:29amQuote:Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar
Friday king worn for over 2 years atleast twice a week and never waxed or reno'd Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That-a-boy RK! Lookin' great my friend; your kings are representing quite well...post #60906 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:35amBr, that's why I wanted to see them in natural light.IMO it isn't as pronounced. Still if they were color 8, calf, etc. I would return them. However I would not be inclined to return ravello. Should you have to accept less than first quality shoes? No, however the market being what it is, I would swallow the bitter pill. Just my .02post #60907 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:37amQuote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Speaking of brushes, I am replacing two old brushes... I have one Saphir brush I use with browns that I will keep. Do you guys have separate brushes for color 8 and black? I have always used the same brush for those two colors. And do people like the Alden branded brushes (I am sure they are just rebranded from another company).
FWIW, when it comes to polish, Saphir cordovan color 8 and black creams are good, but I prefer Alden's brown paste wax on cigar over the brown Saphir cordovan cream, it does a great job. The color 8 and black Alden paste waxes are pretty good as well.
(A) I use separate brushes for black, color 8, cigar, and ravello-whiskey (same brush)
(B) I MUCH prefer Alden's paste wax for cigar over brown Saphir cordovan cream... Saphir leaves a terrible film that I can't get rid of, regardless of how little/light I go with application. I am going to try and clean them with Reno today unless anyone has any other recommendations. I would appreciate any advice here.post #60908 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:40amQuote:Originally Posted by aldenwear
I have different brushes for each cordovan color shoe I have. I have always had different brushes for black and color 8 cordovan shoes. I got brushed dedicated to each color after the first pair of whiskey cordovan shoes I have darkened considerably after I first brushed it with the brush I had used on my color 8 shoes. That brush had remnants of color 8 paste on it from its use on the color 8 shoes, which transferred to the whiskey shoes. This would obviously happen if one things about it, and I felt silly for it not having occurred to me until after I had done
Obviously, the implicit assumption behind my choice is that I don't want darker cordovan colors affecting the shade of the lighter-colored cordovan shoes. If that does not matter to you, then you may make different brush choices.
I use the same brush for my ravello and whiskey with the hope that the whiskey darkens some. However, I have not used any paste wax on any of these shoes just yet.post #60909 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:40ampost #60910 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:44ampost #60911 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:46am
Seems too risky to me. You may not be able to exchange/return at that point.
Edited by ReppTiePrepster - 9/20/13 at 10:09ampost #60912 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:47ampost #60913 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:50ampost #60914 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:50amQuote:Originally Posted by aldenwear
that fading can happen even under store lights - one shoe is on display and the other isn't. I suspect that is what happened here.
I seriously doubt it. They haven't been in store long enough to do it. Also, Alden DC and Kathy are not amateurs when it comes to storing and caring for their product. If this were J Press, I would believe it (because I have actually seen how they have ruined some great pairs of shoes), but Alden DC, no way...
My guess is this QC from the factory.post #60915 of 1224169/20/13 at 9:54am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Henry Carter Appreciation Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 14 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 14 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 16 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 17 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...