Tristan once posted a link to a video of a guy (no, not that video, don't worry) who was wearing some shell shoes while standing in a stream and then stepping in mud. Maybe he can help you out.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4058post #60857 of 1224169/19/13 at 9:06pmQuote:http://www.styleforum.net/t/205531/wolverine-721ltd-shell-cordovan-1000-mile-boot-review#post_3723955
This is a thread recording the long term test of a pair of wolverine shell boots not Alden but horween shellpost #60858 of 1224169/19/13 at 9:07pmpost #60859 of 1224169/19/13 at 9:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by zippyh
If you like the Harlech, this thread may be of interest.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)If you like the country boot style with blobby lasts that make the barrie seem sleek in comparison then Tricker's are for you. The AS country boots aren't bad but the country boot is Tricker's bread and butter. Tricker's also do sleeker boots like the Harlech but they're not usually standard production models. The Jermyn store might have some special make up though.
I'd personally concentrate on C&J but that's because my closet is already full of Tricker's.
Pricewise, don't forget to do whatever it is you have to do to be able to claim back VAT which is like 20%.
Sorry to elaborate slightly on this as I know it doesn't directly relate to Alden. I visited C&J NYC today and saw their cordovan swatch book. There may be a change (depending on forum members feelings) in this MTO to a Harlech in whiskey with storm welt on double leather. C&J whiskey currently seems to look similar to Ravello. I have contacted C&J to determine if whiskey is an option and will update the MTO thread as soon as I get a reply. Price would be ~$760.
Again, sorry to disrupt the Alden shenanigans.post #60860 of 1224169/19/13 at 9:49pmpost #60861 of 1224169/19/13 at 9:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bakes11771
Did it work? If not, rub with reno/venetian. I have a pair of Color 8s that always get lighter in the creases, even though they can't really be considered new anymore. Rubbing with reno/venetian makes it go way... until I walk in them again. Its getting kind of annoying really, but I have faith that at some point they will start to behave themselves.
my #8 plaza chukkas havent seen enough wear to become noticeable, the cigars do. will try and dab of reno tonight and will report back.post #60862 of 1224169/19/13 at 11:01pmThe white stuff is normal. Like mentioned above, it's called "blooming" and will go away with time. Don't Reno it; you're essentially just re saturating already-saturated leather. Wipe with a damp cloth and/or brush away. Should take care of itself after a few wearings. Completely normal.post #60863 of 1224169/20/13 at 1:34ampost #60864 of 1224169/20/13 at 1:45ampost #60865 of 1224169/20/13 at 3:00amWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by jl70115
Indy boot sizing and break in experience.
I searched high and low for advice prior to purchasing my first pair of Aldens, which are the 403 Indy Boots. In an effort to hopefully put out some helpful advice and good karma, here’s my experience. I measure a 10.5 D on the Brannock, and I wear a 10.5 or an 11 D depending on the maker and usually an 11.5 in an athletic shoe, like the Nike Free Run. I have pretty normal foot and fairly skinny ankles. I decided to go with a 10.5 D in the Indy just to be safe. This was after the countless times I read to size down a ½. I ordered them from Shoemart since none of my local stores has them in stock, so I was flying a little blind.
When I first tried them on they felt great and I walked around a little and thought they were definitely roomy, but too much so, and that was better than being a little too tight so I kept them. After a handful of wears they started to break in and get even more comfortable. But they also started to feel too big as the leather shaped to my foot and softened a little. I had plenty of room in the toe box to move and curl my toes and my heal moved around a little. I could make them snug by cinching the laces, but then they felt too tight. To be clear, they don’t stretch, but they do soften and take a shape, which some confuse with stretching.
After three months of wear a couple of times a week, I was sure the 10.5 was too big, although wearable, so I ordered a 10 D. This time I nailed it. My advice, like almost everyone’s, would be to definitely go do a ½ size and if you’re between sizes like me, go down from the smaller size. Also, keep in mind that the leather will soften and mold to your foot, but not stretch. Think of a new baseball glove.
I get compliments on my Indys all time and I love they way they look and feel. I tend to research purchases to death and this time I failed the first time around so hopefully my experience can help someone. Thanks.
Thanks for posting this. I've had a J. Crew credit for about a year now and I'd been holding out for #8 LWBs to come back in my size. I'm ready to give up on that and started to look at the Indys but couldn't work out my size.
I've swung and missed twice (size 9.5 Barrie LWB in calf were too big, size 9 Barrie suede Chukka too small) and I'd love to get a pair that fits that I can keep!post #60866 of 1224169/20/13 at 3:51amQuote:Originally Posted by brp2
Kwhite: I definitely agree that I prefer the light edging. I had the chance to pick up a pair of Ravello LWBs with antique edging when I got my Cigar LWBs (also antique) but, with how dark the Ravello is now, they would've looked damn near the same shoe.
Also, hopefully this photo shows the color difference a bit:
The right shoe (on the left in the photo) has a red translucent look going on in the toe area. The other shoe is more of a solid brown. Am I just being nuts here, or is there a noticeable difference? And, if so, will the difference become less noticeable with time?
Looks like 2 different shoes to me. I understand that exotics are tough to come by but those look really different. I'd be curious to see how they look outdoors. Maybe not as noticeable.post #60867 of 1224169/20/13 at 4:43ampost #60868 of 1224169/20/13 at 4:46amQuote:Originally Posted by kwhitelaw
made it into the city to pick these up
[ Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
to go along with their brothers that came in on tuesday
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
These are just awesome. Congrats and wear often and in great health. That darker shade on the Ravello LWBs is very unique. I like it.post #60869 of 1224169/20/13 at 5:15amQuote:Originally Posted by sazon
Great pics all around the past 2 days gentlemen!
#4 WT Boot for me today.
I seem to always wear the same socks with these boots. These boots consistently get complimented when I wear them, as well as few snide comments from the black square toe slip-on crowd.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
These are a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing.post #60870 of 1224169/20/13 at 5:24amQuote:
Sazon, as someone else who wears a 10.5D on the Allen Edmonds 5 last (based on your sales page for the Walnut Clouds!), what are your sizes in the various Alden lasts for shoes and boots? Might save me a little trouble figuring things out! Thanks!
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › 1950'S ROYAL STETSON STRATOLINER FEDORA VGC SIZE 7 1/4 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › once a day - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 21 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 29 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 57 minutes ago
- › Men's Johnston & Murphy McPherson Cap Toed White Size 11.5 Shoes 1 hour ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 1 hour ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...