The Cigar NST is a 9.5E...tempted, but I'd probably slip out of a Barrie E. I'm considering a Cap Toe Bal, but I'd prefer my Cigar to be something else.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:10 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: Yesterday
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3989
Styleforum Top Pickspost #59822 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:07pmQuote:
^^^I've seen this before. It is the result of bad karma by getting an extra discount that was not meant to apply to Alden shoes by means of an underhanded tactic.
...J/K, I've sneakily employed a discount when it should not have applied to buy Alden shoes from BB.
Which begs the question... What is your next grail, Doc?
What's your current Alden Line-up? It has to have gotten pretty big by now. (Don't include your AE make-ups, they don't count)
...and of course, wear your grail LWB in good health.post #59823 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
All the talk about JCrew and its return policy reminded me that I've been meaning to ask our thread about the following situation I've been having with my JCrew suede LWBs:
I bought the suede LWBs back in Feb (with the help of my favorite JCrew stylist's clandestine 25% "price reduction" and, shortly after beginning to wear them in the spring, noticed--first on the right shoe and then later on the left--that horizontal lines would develop where the shoes would crease due to walking. My initial thought was, "Hey, shoes crease. They're shoes, not Rembrandts after all." However, these "creases" are extensive enough that it comes to appear as though there is no suede material in those sections.
I can sometimes use my suede brush and eraser to try to minimize the horizontal lines forming, but they always come back. What further leads me to believe I should look into this is that the pics you other JCrew suede lwb owners post always feature pristine looking suede on the vamp. Do I have a defective shoe and, if so, would it be worth it to talk to JCrew about a replacement? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have the lines on some Cleverleys too, not sure what the reason is but don't think it's a major issue?
Also lot's of Navy CXL ptbs in seconds for the person who was looking for thempost #59824 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:10pmQuote:
Be patient, and don't compromise on what you really want. That's how you end up with too many shoes that you practically never wear.post #59825 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:12pmQuote:Congratulations Doc on receiving what is my favourite Alden shoe. Wear them in the best of health by friend. Are you happy now?Originally Posted by docalden2013
UPS stopped into my waiting room to deliver my grail Ravello LWBs today while I was with a patient. Sure was difficult to keep listening to what the poor patient had to say as I held back my tears of joy and relief
Btw, please let me add another hearty +1 for Kathy and Joe at DC. They sent me yet another Alden shoehorn, as well as not one, but two extra pairs of Alden laces. Please let me know if anyone needs an extra pair of Alden laces. I'd be glad to send them along your way!post #59826 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:14pmpost #59827 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:15pmpost #59828 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:16pmAlcibiades: Ravello LWB may be Alden's best single model (especially with these dark brown edged soles Alden DC orders)
It may be Alden's best looking model. Wore mine last night.
For those of you getting in on this run, do they have waterloc soles?post #59829 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:23pmQuote:
Nice pickup. I was too low on the wire for him but grabbed Cook in one league and Cameron in the other. Both upgrades at TE for me.
Sounds like we need an Alden fan FF leaguepost #59830 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:33pmpost #59831 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:38pmQuote:
I have the same issue with my tan suede LWBs from LeatherSoul. It happened immediately, and the lines were set by the third wear. I decided it was patina and moved on.post #59832 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:44pmpost #59833 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:47pmpost #59834 of 1224169/11/13 at 3:51pmQuote:
True...thanks. Something a little less formal than a $700 balmoral cap would probably get more use. Still, I'm sure I'll dream of ordering them tonight...hide the phone tomorrow.post #59835 of 1224169/11/13 at 4:08pmQuote:
Full and fair disclosure: I own the Cigar Strait Tip Balmoral from Citi. I haven't worn it yet, but not for lack of wanting to. I haven't had a chance to implement the Mac Break-in Method on them. I think a big question you should ask yourself when considering this shoe is: How often do I wear a suit?
A bit darker than most cigar, but perhaps appropriately so given the formal nature of this shoe, as JermynStreet has pointed out in the past.Quote:
Not to defame any reputations, but rather to share my experience...
I was on a list for their Grant Cigar Cap Toe Boot on Commando and they never called me about them. This was about 2 or 3 restocking cycles ago [for that model]. A blessing in disguise really, because I think it was an emotional, Alden Frenzy motivated decision, and that make-up wouldn't have fit my style very well. However, the lesson is: don't rely on them calling you. Sounds as though they may have become more organized with these size reservations since then, but that's my story pertaining to their "lists".
Hopefully they don't sell my Thor Boot to someone else, should they ever come in.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 5 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 6 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 6 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › NWT Brooks Brothers Cambridge Navy Blazer 3 Roll 2 11 minutes ago
- › NEW STYLE BOGLIOLI GRAY SLIM FIT 2 BUTTON SUIT 40 REGULAR 40R 11 minutes ago
- › Peal and Co. (C&J) Suede Wingtip Chukka Boots in Olive 8.5D 11 minutes ago
- › Alden x Leffot color 8 Tanker 11D 12 minutes ago
- › NWT Eidos brown micro-houndstooth "Sal" trousers (48) 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...