Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3967post #59491 of 1224169/8/13 at 2:40pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #59492 of 1224169/8/13 at 2:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by irbe
Were they the same ones here?
I'm looking into these, and i'm hoping these are a more of a brown vs the orange everybody has been saying they are.
This is the same stock photo they have used for years. I would bet that if you order this shoe online from J Crew you will receive the the (more-) brown version. Worst thing that could happen is you return it without any cost on your part. The other thing you could do is call the J Crew men's shop at Columbus Circle in NYC where I saw them (212-823-9302) and ask them to ship you your size. The newer version is definitely worth it; GREAT make-up!post #59493 of 1224169/8/13 at 2:42pmIm fairly new to Aldenville
1 Calf Tassle Moc in Black
1 Shell PTB in Black
1 Shell PTB in #8
1 Shell LHS in Ravello (arriving tomorrow)
I'm done for awhile I think. There is that pair of Whiskey LWB on eBay that looks like it'll go for $700+ and that's out of my price range to say the least!post #59494 of 1224169/8/13 at 2:44pmpost #59495 of 1224169/8/13 at 2:46pmpost #59496 of 1224169/8/13 at 2:53pmpost #59497 of 1224169/8/13 at 3:00pmpost #59498 of 1224169/8/13 at 3:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by 89826
Does using a deer bone really help to get rid of scratches? More than a spoon? I am skeptical of the oils in the bone helping angle, because aren't the bones quite dry to the touch? How much deer oil could get transferred?
I ask because I do have a few pairs which have scratches, and I have got some time on my hands to do something about them.
What do you all recommend?
My stash is 30 shell pairs, one calf.
I've never used anything but bone on my shell and it works wonders for removing scratches (so I can't compare to a spoon). As for the oils - there is definitely something in the bone. If you rub it over the shell you definitely see some residue left behind, and I don't believe that it's the bone lifting oil from the shell. If you rub your hands over them they will also feel slightly oily afterwards.
Check out Namor (I think it was) doing the 'mac method' on his boots with some deer bone throne in for good measure - you can see the residue it leavespost #59499 of 1224169/8/13 at 3:31pmQuote:
I just saw the new 17's the other day. I was really impressed with them. They were heavy weight but didn't feel like cardboard. I have a pair of the SL-100's and have been very pleased with them.
The pic looks like the SL-100 but I am not 100%post #59500 of 1224169/8/13 at 3:33pmRight now I only have one shell and two suede, with 3 other shell and one more suede on pre-order. I don't really have any interest in Alden calf at all, although there are some nice CXL models I've had my eye on. Once my shell pre-orders come in, I'll probably get a few more suede LWBs if I can find my size, and maybe a brown or natty CXL here or there.
I don't really see myself getting much more shell, unless the rare shell shortage comes to an end. I have a #8 wingtip boot, vintage Florsheim Imperial burgundy shell LWB, and the J Crew PCT on order. I don't want to have a closet of 40+ shoes because I know most of them won't get worn, so I'm trying to cover all my bases without going overboard on any one specific color.post #59501 of 1224169/8/13 at 3:38pmpost #59502 of 1224169/8/13 at 4:11pmpost #59503 of 1224169/8/13 at 4:23pmpost #59504 of 1224169/8/13 at 4:31pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 41 seconds ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › ***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread*** 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 14 minutes ago
- › Rubber soled shoes 15 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 15 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 16 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 18 minutes ago
- › Recommend a good paring knife 21 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?