Angry on your behalf.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3893post #58382 of 1224168/26/13 at 3:53pmpost #58383 of 1224168/26/13 at 4:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ironminded
Long time lurker that has a quick request for help;
I'm trying to source a pair of boots for my wedding [out-door, November in Chicago]. I'm trying to find a pair of Cordovan #8 wingtip boots. While generally this wouldn't be a problem, Alden of Carmel has a pair like this as does TSM, I'm looking for a pair that DOESN'T have speed laces/hooks. I'm trying to find a true 9 eyelet #8 cordovan wingtip boot in the equivalent to Truebalance size 10D.
I currently have a pair of black calf Indy's that I really like, but wanted a wingtip boot for the wedding. I've already called TSM and while their website lists their cordovan #8 wingtip boot as being 9 eyelet the sales person assured me it in fact had speed hooks.
Can anyone help me out? In looking at the models listed on Alden NYC's website it looks like their version has speed hooks as well.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks a ton, and thanks for all the drool-worthy pics!
I would check Leather Soul in the City of Angels and Hawaii. They tend to order boots without speedhooks. You should also try Moulded Shoe in NYC because they specialize in the modified last and tend to have a lot of make-ups you won't find elsewhere. Good luck and congratulations.post #58384 of 1224168/26/13 at 4:07pmpost #58385 of 1224168/26/13 at 4:15pmMrDV: I have boots w speed hooks, they have never damaged my pants. I would get them w the hooks and never look back.
The ruby and burgundy Carmina boots are amazing.
The trickers seem too casual
Speed hooks have never damaged my pants either.
IMO, whether for good or for bad, Carmina's boots tend to be primarily dress boots, if not exclusively so (as in the case of their bal boots).
Not a fan of Trickers.post #58386 of 1224168/26/13 at 4:59pmpost #58387 of 1224168/26/13 at 5:04pmpost #58388 of 1224168/26/13 at 5:14pmThank You mr.DV the new boots are beautiful but the exposed eyelets diminish this boots ability to be a dress boot IMO. I was really hoping to fill a gap in my rotation. I will say the plaza last is wonderful for boots. Additionally the depth of the color 8 is amazing.post #58389 of 1224168/26/13 at 5:26pm
Whoa, guess the mind blocks out painful memories. Good thing my SBA loan to start my practice was a float, 2 points over prime, but still adjusted every quarter, so it dropped. Also, probably a good thing Ronald Reagan took over and lowered taxes. I think, by the time I paid it off, it was down to 13%, which meant I was able to pay it off early as less and less of the payment went to interest.post #58390 of 1224168/26/13 at 6:21pmpost #58391 of 1224168/26/13 at 6:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mr. Six
I'm getting closer to convincing myself that I can wear those ruby boots and pulling the trigger. They're phenomenal in person.
It wouldn't solve the speed hook issue, but it's kind of too bad that Ironminded didn't get a pair of the Greeley in burgundy shell MTO. Those would be great for a wedding. (I think this photo is the burgundy version.)
/end Carmina diversion
You need Ruby.
Ruby and #4 to keep it Alden related.post #58392 of 1224168/26/13 at 7:04pmpost #58393 of 1224168/26/13 at 7:07pmpost #58394 of 1224168/26/13 at 7:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by bespoken pa
Thank You mr.DV the new boots are beautiful but the exposed eyelets diminish this boots ability to be a dress boot IMO. I was really hoping to fill a gap in my rotation. I will say the plaza last is wonderful for boots. Additionally the depth of the color 8 is amazing.
Beautiful boot collection!
Exposed eyelets may not be as dressy but, in moderation (like, not EVERY boot you own), they provide an additional level detail to the the boot/shoe & make them more interesting (for example, suede bluchers and LWBs).
Edited by CEE88 - 8/26/13 at 8:25pmpost #58395 of 1224168/26/13 at 7:59pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 seconds ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 3 minutes ago
- › Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Suede Double Monk Strap "Flap" 9 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 13 minutes ago
- › Canali Kei Recent Deconstrcuted Wool Overcoat Navy 50 19 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 23 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...