I don't see that much of a difference in weight between my Daltons and my Aldens, although the Aldens are heavier. Here are the weights of my boots (yes, this is OCD behavior):
- unlined walnut shell Daltons: 1lb 3oz
- lined shell Daltons: 1lb 5oz
- lined calf Daltons: 1lb 5oz
- lined shell Aldens: 1lb 8oz
- lined calf Aldens: 1lb 8oz
- lined CXL Indy Aldens with neocork soles: 1lb 11oz
I don't feel the heaviness of any of the boots except for the Indy's and I attribute that to the neocork sole (I think).
Similarly, the Wolverine 721 feel quite a bit lighter than most Alden boots I have. I think that's mostly due to the half-lined construction and the single soles.
The lining, or the lack of it certainly contributes a bit. But I think the major difference in weight came from the various types of soles. I have a pair of Alden x Leffot Navy Suede Indy boots with the so-called micro soles. Those are really featherweight. At the other end of the spectrum are the crepe soles.