or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3759  

post #56371 of 122416
Notreknip: Hey guys - regarding sizing for LHS... (Which is impossible to search for by the way.)

Barrie Boots = 8.5D (pretty perfect)
Barrie Shoes = 8.5D (slightly loose in heel)
Plaza Boots = 9D (oddly, maybe slightly roomy overall)

LHS = ?? (I'm thinking 8.5C especially considering I'd like to wear them sockless much of the time)

Sadly, I don't really have the option of trying any on, so your advice would be appreciated even though I know sizing is extra difficult for loafers.


8.5C should work.
post #56372 of 122416
RTP: I guess the discrepancy arises from the fact that I had been using information from the Alden SF and Madison websites (which I'm guessing you have reviewed) as well as conversations with Kathy at Alden DC. These Alden stores use the phrases cap toe and straight tip in the fashion that SFTG and I described it. The confusion comes from the apparent inconsistency in Alden's use of the terms. In any case, a discussion like this, on this particular thread should not be that big a deal. If our elementary questions and answers are bothersome/frustrating to you, you may just want to ignore. I do however thank you, my friend, for enlightening us with your knowledge. I hope you enjoy your weekend...

All I will add here is that I have found that using my descriptions (noted a few pages back) is well received by various Alden retailers and causes virtually no confusion. I don't claim to have the last word on this subject, and if another describes the shoes differently, that is fine. A good weekend to all. fistbump.gif
post #56373 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Navy CXL?
Either that or suede, I ask them to notify me when they produce non standard Indy.
post #56374 of 122416

I have a pair of tanker boots with the crepe sole. I'm very pleased with them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusttruffle View Post

anyone else use leather tipped crepe / plantation soles?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's been my recent experience with Alden for warranty work, about three weeks.  Plus, the factory staff was very responsive. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I recently acquired a pair of cigar PTB's via TSM. It was a makeup that I wanted for some and when I saw my size available, I jumped on them. Upon receipt, I noticed that the finish was streaky and uneven. After careful examination, I decided to keep them. However, over the ensuing weeks, I found that in sunlight the uneven finish was much more noticeable than I originally thought. Note, original examination was indoors at night and the first few times I wore them were in overcast days & evenings.

 

After owning them for a month, I figured I would contact Alden to inquire about refinishing. I also reached out to Shoemart for advice. I offerred to send TSM pictures and the CS rep passed them along to Ed, the owner. He immediately suggested I return them to shoemart who would work with Alden directly. I was uneasy about sending them back to Alden myself as I'd read about long, long turnaround times.

 

To my surprise, about 3 weeks passed and my shoes are back in hand. The finish is factory fresh with no unevenness or streaks. I have to give kudos to TSM for their help.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Before:

 

 

 

 

(Note, I boosted the contrast to make the unevenness more noticeable).

 

 

 

And after refinishing:

 

 

 

 

post #56375 of 122416
i had been eye-balling those unlined brown cxl ptbs for a while, but have sworn off barrie lasted shoes due to fit issues (i have a narrow heel). however, while browsing the Alden SF website, i noticed that they offer up that particular size in a C width. so i'm doing a little sizing experiment - tts but down a width for the barrie last. worst case I'm out return shipping. and the fact that they are non-shell means i could possibly take a few steps in them without the fear of critical creasing.

as was mentioned many pages ago - the fact that alden offers this in C,D, and E widths seems to suggest that this is a factory style now, and not exclusive to any shop.

also of interest, i was in j. gilbert a week or so ago and yenni said that alden used to offer more combination last options, i.e. A/D rather than B/D, but for some reason they stopped. also if a unique style shoe is offered by a retailer, another retailer cannot reproduce.
post #56376 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

Anyone know if Alden makes NTL CXL LHS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post

I think I recall The Shoe Mart listing this.  I could be wrong, however, and I have not double-checked.

I believe I've also seen them on the UnionMade and Madison Avenue shop websites at some point. I know that wherever it was I saw them, I remember thinking that it was a really sharp looking shoe and would have bought it if they had it in my size. The LHS is one of the few styles that I don't have.

Edit:

TSM does seem to have a bunch of sizes in stock in the CXL LHS... including my size. Hmmm....

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_leisure_handsewn_calfskin_natural_chrome_excel/pvc-ald-mxsds-17830_ald_m_leisure_handsewn_calfskin.html
post #56377 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

i had been eye-balling those unlined brown cxl ptbs for a while, but have sworn off barrie lasted shoes due to fit issues (i have a narrow heel). however, while browsing the Alden SF website, i noticed that they offer up that particular size in a C width. so i'm doing a little sizing experiment - tts but down a width for the barrie last. worst case I'm out return shipping. and the fact that they are non-shell means i could possibly take a few steps in them without the fear of critical creasing.

as was mentioned many pages ago - the fact that alden offers this in C,D, and E widths seems to suggest that this is a factory style now, and not exclusive to any shop.

also of interest, i was in j. gilbert a week or so ago and yenni said that alden used to offer more combination last options, i.e. A/D rather than B/D, but for some reason they stopped. also if a unique style shoe is offered by a retailer, another retailer cannot reproduce.

Wow, I didn't realize this was available in a C width...I may have to give it a try. Has anybody seen these in person? Real life pics would be great if anybody has them.
post #56378 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post


I love all 3 of these but there is something extra elegant about color 8 shells with the antique welt. Very nice collection.

Thanks Shawnc.  I do particularly love the antiqued #8 Brixtons.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


cigar tassels
argyles otc

As ReppTiePrepster said a few months ago, Uncle Mac's cigars always look like they have been dipped in liquid dark chocolate!

post #56379 of 122416
Alden's tobacco chamois has a bit of a funky smell. For those of you that own it, does the smell go away after a period of time - weeks, months, etc.?
post #56380 of 122416

Where can I buy dust bags for my indy boots? a link would be great. 

 

- Thanks

post #56381 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by einstine View Post

Where can I buy dust bags for my indy boots? a link would be great. 

- Thanks

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_shoe_bags_yellow/pv-ald-shoe_bags_ald_m_shoe_bags.html
post #56382 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

I love all 3 of these but there is something extra elegant about color 8 shells with the antique welt. Very nice collection.

I actually prefer the dark welt with the antique edge, but I know where you're going with this.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #56383 of 122416
^^^^ have a pair of the jcrew crepe sole #8 LWB that I have been meaning to send off for leather soles to B Nelson. havent even worn them out the house once sadly
post #56384 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notreknip View Post

Hey guys - regarding sizing for LHS... (Which is impossible to search for by the way.)

Barrie Boots = 8.5D (pretty perfect)
Barrie Shoes = 8.5D (slightly loose in heel)
Plaza Boots = 9D (oddly, maybe slightly roomy overall)

LHS = ?? (I'm thinking 8.5C especially considering I'd like to wear them sockless much of the time)

Sadly, I don't really have the option of trying any on, so your advice would be appreciated even though I know sizing is extra difficult for loafers.

I know 7ftg has already offered 8.5c as a possibility. Of course, he is a wise and gracious sage on this forum.

I just wanted to note that, along with the 8.5c, the 8.5D may be worth considering. I, too, am an 8.5d Barrie and 9d grant. When I bought my cigar lhs from AofDC, I decided to go grant minus one width and ended up with 9c. In the end, the shoe kind of fits, but if I could turn the clock back, I'd have gotten the 8.5d. The c width has ended up feeling a bit tight in the vamp for me. It may end up loosening a bit more, as I'm only about 9 or 10 wearings in. I'd prefer to see you not go through a tightness width-wise. I'm not worried length wise for you, as you already wear an 8.5 Barrie and Kathy at DC recommends going with your Barrie size for Van shoes.

Not contradicting 7, just saying your mileage may vary.

Best of luck with whichever size you choose!!
post #56385 of 122416
Thanks 7FTG and Doc for the helpful suggestions!

Now, why do LHS seem to be around $100 more than tassels? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.