It is not that hard. You slowly move the flame toward the edge of the thread. It will ignite - not a burning flame, more like a glow -- before the flame touches it: the heat will light the thread. The thread will burn towards the shoe slowly enough that you can watch it move toward the shoe and when the glow gets close to the shoe, extinguish it. Small threads can be difficult to cut, and I have found this to be foolproof.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 10:52 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3758post #56357 of 1224168/2/13 at 1:22pmpost #56358 of 1224168/2/13 at 1:28pmpost #56359 of 1224168/2/13 at 1:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
Off the top of my head I have 27 pair of Alden plus four more on pre-order. Three pair from my collection have never even been worn and more than a few pair have probably only been worn once or twice!
It may be blasphemy but I really need to STOP BUYING SHOES! I'd really like to pare down and simplify my collection but am too lazy to take the time to take nice pictures and put them online.
FWIW, I currently have 16 pairs of shoes for sale on eBay. The one pair of Alden's have more bids/watchers than the other 15 combined. My point is that selling Alden's really doesn't seem to require much effort.post #56360 of 1224168/2/13 at 1:46pmQuote:
Is that based on a Barrie size or TTS? I've been curious about this as well and have always had trouble fitting loafers due to my wide toes and low instep. If I could size down to a 12 (instead of a 13...they don't do half sizes past 10 or 11) and the toebox were still adequate, I might have a winner.
Thanks in advance.post #56361 of 1224168/2/13 at 1:48pmQuote:
Yes! and seeing that Michigan Planner wears 8E, I would LOVE if he decided to put some shoes up for salepost #56362 of 1224168/2/13 at 2:10pmQuote:
Sir, my True to Size is 10.5C and have a variety of pairs in that size. For Barrie last, both boots and butchers, I go for 10D. Hope this helps, but yes the 10.5C point of reference definitely helps.
-Mikepost #56363 of 1224168/2/13 at 2:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by DpprDr
MP, I got you beat when it comes to the number of shoes (unless you have a number of non-Alden shoes) and I have to pack and drag them for the move! At least I've worn all my shoes
I put a few up I wouldn't mind parting with; I took quick pictures just to get them up and I can always take better ones after we move.
We're not commiting to a house for now but looking for apartments. Possible opportunities are towards EL so I've been looking at Okemos to avoid the undergrad drunkfest (and potential beer dripping on my shell). I did apply to Henry Ford at Wyandotte and a couple of facilities in Southfield so I think that's closer to your area. If I end up in the Detroit burbs we're thinking of Troy/Birmingham/FH.
If either of you gents wear a TTS 11d give me a shout.post #56364 of 1224168/2/13 at 2:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
RTP, I am afraid you are mistaken. Alden does not use the term Cap Toe anywhere that I can see on these shoes (please correct me if I am wrong this time). They use the term Straight Tip (or Medallion Tip on the one with a medallion). I don't think I've misunderstood anything, and I'm not meaning to sound frustrated or condescending. I'm simply surprised that there was such a long debate over something that is easily referenced on their website for all to see. All I was really trying to say is that Alden uses their own terminology to describe shoes that have the same traditional patterns as other high quality dress shoe manufacturers. They are the only ones that use their own terminology, in spite of the fact that the other terminology is quite mainstream and recognized. I really don't care if someone chooses to use their own terminology for their product, but apparently it is causing confusion (hence this conversation), and I do find that frustrating.
I went back and read your original post. You seem to have missed in my quote above where I said that other retailers (such as The Shoe Mart) do refer to some of their Alden Shoes as Cap Toes. However, that doesn't change that Alden does not call them Cap Toes, they call them Straight Tips. Insert people's confusion.
I guess the discrepancy arises from the fact that I had been using information from the Alden SF and Madison websites (which I'm guessing you have reviewed) as well as conversations with Kathy at Alden DC. These Alden stores use the phrases cap toe and straight tip in the fashion that SFTG and I described it. The confusion comes from the apparent inconsistency in Alden's use of the terms. In any case, a discussion like this, on this particular thread should not be that big a deal. If our elementary questions and answers are bothersome/frustrating to you, you may just want to ignore. I do however thank you, my friend, for enlightening us with your knowledge. I hope you enjoy your weekend...post #56365 of 1224168/2/13 at 2:54pmpost #56366 of 1224168/2/13 at 2:57pmpost #56367 of 1224168/2/13 at 3:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by Michigan PlannerQuote:Originally Posted by MrDV
suede lwb x leffot Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I love these! Every time I see them I immediately want to put my navy shortwings up for sale and get a pair of these instead.
I would be happy with either one. They both look very cool and incredibly comfortable.post #56368 of 1224168/2/13 at 3:16pmQuote:Thanks! Argh, just checked it and the smallest they carry is a 7D; I need 6.5D for the Van. I wonder if I reach out to Ed he could accomodate.post #56369 of 1224168/2/13 at 3:52pmHey guys - regarding sizing for LHS... (Which is impossible to search for by the way.)
Barrie Boots = 8.5D (pretty perfect)
Barrie Shoes = 8.5D (slightly loose in heel)
Plaza Boots = 9D (oddly, maybe slightly roomy overall)
LHS = ?? (I'm thinking 8.5C especially considering I'd like to wear them sockless much of the time)
Sadly, I don't really have the option of trying any on, so your advice would be appreciated even though I know sizing is extra difficult for loafers.post #56370 of 1224168/2/13 at 4:03pmfiestaplatypus: Is that based on a Barrie size or TTS? I've been curious about this as well and have always had trouble fitting loafers due to my wide toes and low instep. If I could size down to a 12 (instead of a 13...they don't do half sizes past 10 or 11) and the toebox were still adequate, I might have a winner. Thanks in advance.
I wear 9.5B in Aberdeen loafers (tassels/full straps).
I wear 9C in Van LHS.
I wear no insole with my loafers.
I wear a thin insole with my laced shoes and generally wear 9.5D (9D in Barrie/TruB).
The C&J for RL shell tassels come only in D width. I have tried them in 9D (foot literally came out of the shoe with each stride) and 8.5D (still way too much heel slippage). The 9.5D would have been laughable.
But everyone has different feet - don't know till you try ....
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 5 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 6 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 9 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 10 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Please ID leather jacket worn by David Blaine 11 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...