Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 4:35 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3728post #55906 of 1224167/28/13 at 9:34pmpost #55907 of 1224167/28/13 at 9:43pmSomething like this (AE, but not MacNeil), though they're not in shell though
EG ones are nice, but it is actually too sleek, not for the purpose I want it for (half casual/half dressy), and don't need the constrast
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Edward-Green-Harrogate/MH00237,default,pd.html?dwvar_MH00237_Color=BRWN&contentpos=9&cgid=post #55908 of 1224167/28/13 at 9:47pmCan someone link me the "questionable" video of the ... hrm... cordovan fan... that was in the thread a while back? Mentioned the indecent video on another forum and had a request for it, but not sure where it was.post #55909 of 1224167/28/13 at 9:57pmQuote:
Search YouTube for "Shell Cordovan love" it will be the first video. I'm surprised it has not been removed by YouTube...post #55910 of 1224167/28/13 at 10:08pmThanks mediahound - I'll reference that.
And for the record, I had described the premise of the video and another user didn't believe me... so not deliberately searching out teh nasty here.post #55911 of 1224167/28/13 at 10:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster
Actually, Alden DC, Madison, San Fran, TSM, etc... all have a wide selection of non-barrie lasted shoes. While you are correct that MTOs are almost impossible to come by, there are many sleek-looking available Alden lasts out there (it may require some looking). Additionally, the leydon last wouldn't be my first choice for the dressier, sleeker look. BB's M-58 and M-75 lasts are excellent. The aberdeen and plaza lasts are great. I spent last weekend in NYC and found plenty of sleeker Aldens on lasts outside of barrie at Alden on Madison, Leffot, Citishoes, J Press, and BB to name a few. If you're looking for a sleek dressy look, Alden has options. But if Carmina or Vass have what you want with greater availability, have at it. But you will not get the classic American-made shoe/look with Carmina. And that my friend, is perfectly fine if that's your choice. It just isn't mine. TBH, I don't mind the wait times because I can not afford to acquire everything I want all at once. The demand and lack of supply actually paces me well and gives me time to decide that I do not need another very similar variation of color 8. Patience is a virtue!
While I am on the subject, I might as well complete the rant... I find it disturbing that someone would ship American-made classics to some Spaniards to steal/replicate lasts/shoes/boots that have become uniquely American. I am not normally a nativistic jingo, but I'll support the American-made classic because I actually prefer it to the more expensive European producers.
I know this may rub some of you the wrong way, but disagreement and preference is healthy and perfectly acceptable on a thread that is as civil and friendly as this one.
My friends, all the best...
I completely understand your point. I think I was frustrated because I was looking for a kind of dress boot (non shell) that was sleek, but most of Alden is shell, and those not shell are mostly indy's/work boots. But you do have to admit that a very high percentage of Alden shoes are on the barrie last (compared to other companies that seem to not specialize in just one last).
And the one that TSM has on hampton last is on back order until next april.
Edited by venividivicibj - 7/28/13 at 10:47pmpost #55912 of 1224167/28/13 at 10:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by venividivicibj
I completely understand your point. I think I was frustrated because I was looking for a kind of dress shoe (non shell) that was sleek, but most of Alden is shell, and those not shell are mostly indy's/work boots. But you do have to admit that a very high percentage of Alden shoes are on the barrie last (compared to other companies that seem to not specialize in just one last).
And the one that TSM has on hampton last is on back order until next april.
Alden has numerous non-shell dress shoes, most of which are on the Hampton and Aberdeen lasts.
What style and color are you looking for? captoe bal? captoe blucher? nst?post #55913 of 1224167/28/13 at 10:47pm
oops. boot. meant to put dress boot.
and I think I'm just going to pre order the one at TSM on hampton and wait for april. (only problem is, because i don't receive it until april, it makes me feel like i want to buy another shoe...no gratification yet haha)post #55914 of 1224167/28/13 at 10:54pmQuote:
Get a Japan proxy and get a united arrows ravello longwing on the modified. About $1k I would have gotten a pair but they only go up to 9.5
Trickers offers plenty of shell longwings too though its not horween.post #55915 of 1224167/29/13 at 5:19ampost #55916 of 1224167/29/13 at 6:00ampost #55917 of 1224167/29/13 at 6:07ampost #55918 of 1224167/29/13 at 6:10amhttp://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawCategories.aspx?CategoryID=94&PageID=19
Of the shoes (ex boots) in this list, only three are Barrie lasted. Most of Alden's shoes are actually non-barrie, at least in color 8 and black.
What is true that independent retailers tend to order shoes on the Barrie last because it is the most popular...post #55919 of 1224167/29/13 at 6:39ampost #55920 of 1224167/29/13 at 6:42am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 5 minutes ago
- › British workwear / heritage brands 12 minutes ago
- › Recommend me boots for driving 24 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 26 minutes ago
- › Backpack: Need, but Do Not Like 28 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 31 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 33 minutes ago
- › Wardrobe questions 50 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 51 minutes ago
- › Gentleman's boots for motorbike riding - newbie 52 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway