Silence your illicit tongue, knave. This is not the place for your youthful tomfoolery.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:05 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3657post #54842 of 1224167/10/13 at 8:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by BeSpiffington
Bucksfan, kudos my friend. Absolutely an outstanding ensemble. Nicely pressed slacks, properly cuffed I might add, complimentary argyles, and hitting the pavement with what some might say are the quintessential Alden shell loafer, introduced I believe by Alden in 1947 as Mac recently reminded us. I too dress very conservatively, but I haven't had a tasseled loafer since you were in pre-school. All the great tassels being posted lately are pushing me closer to joining your club. Now, if I could only find a pair in Ravello.
Thank you, I particularly like Alden's take on the tassel loafer.Quote:
Thank you, I agree.Quote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
Bucksfan, looking good as always. Just when I thought I'd try to be done buying Aldens this summer, you've made me feel the sickness again. Guess I have to follow Mac's advice on color 8 being king and tassels definitely being the way to go. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!
Good luck! Now just decide whether to get the alden or brooks brothers version (the bb version has foxing on the heel)
Thank you!post #54843 of 1224167/10/13 at 8:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by aldenwear
First, the writer wasn't asking about black tassels. He was asking about color 8. Second, who is glenjay and why would "glenjay" have any authority on the question? Third, who says seams is the be-all-end-all criteria for dressy?
What about last? For example, take the Alden barrie last PTB. There are no seams at all. But the roundness of the shoe makes it less than dressy for many whereas the same shoe on a sleeker last -- plaza, for example, makes the otherwise same shoe more formal.
What about ornamentation other than seams- like tassels or brogueing? I have always heard that more brogueing, less formality.
What about laces v. slip-on?
What about welt? Color of the welt or edge? Leffot makes the Alden Barrie last PTB even less dressy than the regular Barrie last PTB with an antiqued welt.
And let's be honest: as good-looking a shoe as the Alden tassel loafer may be, how in the world can you take a flopping tassel seriously? I mean, the shoe is called a mocassin -- the essence of casual. If you have one shoe for needs that include business, how can a tassel be the choice?
Of course, the answer really is to avoid a debate that is inherently subjective, and get all three.
There are some legal circles (i.e. NYC) that view the black (or color 8) tassel moc as a must-have to a lawyer's wardrobe. I wish I can remember where the article I read on this came from, but it did suggest that the tassel moc was a standard part of an NYC lawyer's "uniform." To each his own my friend.... No need to be hostile. That said, I agree with everything you posted.post #54844 of 1224167/10/13 at 8:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster
There are some legal circles (i.e. NYC) that view the black (or color 8) tassel moc as a must-have to a lawyer's wardrobe. I wish I can remember where the article I read on this came from, but it did suggest that the tassel moc was a standard part of an NYC lawyer's "uniform." To each his own my friend.... No need to be hostile. That said, I agree with everything you posted.
from my experience, in the 1960's and 1970's the bb version of the tassel in both #8 and black were seen in both the white shoe law firms and the investment bankerspost #54845 of 1224167/10/13 at 9:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bakes11771
Thank you, Uncle.
The first pic I am leaning far forward to take the picture. The second pic, I am sitting awkwardly in the edge of a chair to take the pic. However, if you are such an expert tailor that you are able to discern the fit of my pants from these two pictures, then I will have to concede to your judgement. They are the same size as all of my other pants, all of which seem to fit fine. Neither of my sisters have commented on the fit of my trousers, and they would not hesitate to do so given the opportunity.
Appreciate your eagerness to help though.
I'd say trouser fit often comes across less than accurately in the shoe-centric photos on this thread. It's a hazard of the photo style.
Still a good thing you didn't post in the pants thread, anyway.
And the LHS look very nice in cigar. I'm really a fan of these in all the colors.post #54846 of 1224167/10/13 at 9:32pmpost #54847 of 1224167/10/13 at 9:45pmpost #54848 of 1224167/10/13 at 10:01pmpost #54849 of 1224167/10/13 at 11:40pmpost #54850 of 1224167/11/13 at 1:28ampost #54851 of 1224167/11/13 at 1:43ampost #54852 of 1224167/11/13 at 2:32ampost #54853 of 1224167/11/13 at 2:50ampost #54854 of 1224167/11/13 at 5:56ampost #54855 of 1224167/11/13 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by sazon
Last night I channeled my inner Mac and did some work on my whiskey PTBs. Not as stellar as Mac's Ravello but I'm pretty happy with the results:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/881522/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
good looking whiskey with good shine
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Custom made shirts Christmas Sale Offered by Nattyshirts 1 minute ago
- › Pairing tuxedo with cravat 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 9 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 48 minutes ago
- › Obama's Unravelling 52 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 57 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 hour ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 hour ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...