Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 7:16 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3610post #54137 of 1224166/26/13 at 8:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
Pretty, pretty nice...
I own the JGilbert version of this plaza boot. I would heartily recommend it.post #54138 of 1224166/26/13 at 8:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by totalair1
You are right...all my pairs are in the last 90 days for the most part. Every pair I bought had been in store inventory for 2-3 years, none was recent stock. None were listed on the store website, all had taken them off the website. I have to call, email, dig, dig, dig. Then call back and those last pairs were great, I bet you missed some and they found more. It was time consuming, and it took a lot patience but it was worth it. I still stand by my "rant" on the shortage. I hope I'm wrong but nothing appears to show otherwise.
Good comments here.
Persistence, regularly checking this thread and with the various Alden retailers, and a willingness to pull the trigger on a moment's notice - and even at a price higher than you might like - are keys to getting the shell models you seek after.post #54139 of 1224166/26/13 at 8:47pmQuote:
I have 2 shell, 1 cxl belts from Rancourt. Very well made and very satisfied, band reasonably priced. They offer shell in -#8, however it could differ from Alden's
Stevepost #54140 of 1224166/26/13 at 9:16pmpost #54141 of 1224166/27/13 at 4:49am
#99522 Leydon E Old tan Calf and Cigar Cordovan Saddle 6.5, 7, 9.5
#8993 Leydon E #8 cordovan and black alpine grain Saddle 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5
#2937 Barrie E Unlined Black cordovan 6, 9
#2938 Barrie E Unlined #8 cordovan 6
#63082 Vtip Black with Burgundy vamp Barrie D size 7
#43510 Leydon E cap toe blucher Old tan calf size 6, 6.5, 8, 8.5
#61901 Truflare E Whiskey cordovan size 6. 6.5, 7
These are our Alden models on sale. Please pm me for prices. All sales will be final.post #54142 of 1224166/27/13 at 5:19amQuote:Originally Posted by totalair1
I agree with this statement. In my opinion Carmina "currently" makes far fewer pairs of Shell shoes than Alden. Give it a while and they will be short too. If Carmina has what you want...get it while the getting is good.
I think Horween is in a pickle, they can't get shell right now, and I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon, if ever. The demand exceeds supply for shell, the USA limits horse slaughter. Outside the USA, far fewer regulations on horse slaughter, but I don't know how many horses are available?
To take this a step further...Alden, and likely Allen Edmonds shortly if not already are in deep poop. You got retailers screaming about shell orders not filled for 2 years, demand far exceeds what Alden can produce...even in regular styles of leather! Alden retailers are screwed, can't make money if you can't get product. Allen Edmonds is now 3 months out on shell, that's for black and burgundy shell. If they have not stopped brown, they will soon. I'm waiting on a brown shell belt and shoes for 10 weeks so far.
Carmina has very few retailers in the USA and those that do, few if any stock shell. I see Carmina having a great window to capture short term market share, but they will run out of shell too.
I don't see Horween breaking ties with their main 2 buyers, Alden and AE. It's a storm we have to ride out. However I doubt we will see anything but black and #8 in any large amounts. I think Cigar, Ravello, and Whiskey will be ultra rare, if available at all. What little is available will be pre-sold and pre-paid and the average guy will be out of luck.
My advice...buy it now if its out there, and there are a few pairs not advertised to be had, but you will have to dig,call, pester, and ask the right questions.
Sorry for the long post.
Buying into the buzz and taking "the bait".....hook, line and sinker
With a little patience I think we can all get the cordovan shoes and boots and other leather goods that we so desire. Look at theshoemart seconds lists, these are an indication of current orders at Alden and what either is in the pipeline or has already been delivered to retailers. The lists I received included whiskey, ravello, cigar, and #8 cordovan shoes. I believe that they are a little light on supply from Horween but the whole buy it now because it will never be seen again thing is not something I believe.post #54143 of 1224166/27/13 at 5:21amQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I really do not believe the picture is as bleak as some are painting it and there is a bit of hype going on. Everyone screams from the rafters THERE IS NO SHELL, yet every month we are seeing orders both hit the market and get confirmed. There is always going to be a bit of an ebb and flow to this. One could take it a step further and say that there is no better way for company's to increase profits than to constrain the supply chain and then strategically release product as needed at a premium price. I would just every to exercise patience as makes and models do become available. Yes, you need to be plugged in and act quickly but they are there to be had. Hell, the guy with the long rant I think owned no shell like 90 days ago and now probably has close to 20 pairs...
I agreepost #54144 of 1224166/27/13 at 5:40ampost #54145 of 1224166/27/13 at 5:48ampost #54146 of 1224166/27/13 at 6:12amQuote:
Check out Rancourt. They not only have a shell Color 8 belt for cheaper than Horween, but they also have a Chromexcel Color 8 belt for even cheaper still:post #54147 of 1224166/27/13 at 6:51amQuote:Originally Posted by mediahound
Check out Rancourt. They not only have a shell Color 8 belt for cheaper than Horween, but they also have a Chromexcel Color 8 belt for even cheaper still:
I am wearing my Color 8 shell cordovan belt from Rancourt today (as I do most days). It's a great belt but I found it to be significantly lighter than Alden's Color 8.post #54148 of 1224166/27/13 at 7:22ampost #54149 of 1224166/27/13 at 8:02amQuote:Originally Posted by shaunw
Buying into the buzz and taking "the bait".....hook, line and sinker
With a little patience I think we can all get the cordovan shoes and boots and other leather goods that we so desire. Look at theshoemart seconds lists, these are an indication of current orders at Alden and what either is in the pipeline or has already been delivered to retailers. The lists I received included whiskey, ravello, cigar, and #8 cordovan shoes. I believe that they are a little light on supply from Horween but the whole buy it now because it will never be seen again thing is not something I believe.
No question there's a buzz on shell shortage. I would also agree I went way deep on my purchases of shell shoes, mainly because I wanted them and those who feel I took the bait that's cool too. I'm a relative newbie to this forum, so I'm sure many of the long time members may not be drinking the cool aide I've been saying. Setting all opinions aside, my 13D or larger foot size dictates a shortage regardless of...if a real shortage exists. Very few Alden retailers stock above size 12, specially in shell and the rare colors. There's still a lot of choices in my size in black and #8. I'm certain that the majority of the shell shoes I've scored lately in cigar, and whiskey are mainly models that have not been produced in a few years, or older inventory. I'm at a stage in my life I have the ability to spend big for a while and then sit back. Not 1 pair of the cigar shoes I've bought were advertised anywhere, all were scored by digging, most of the whiskey were the same way except for 1 pair from TSM. I've tried like hell to score anything in Ravello and with the exception of the 1 pair I found at TSM, otherwise none to be found in my size new or used. If anybody has a lead on some please PM me!
I truly hope I'm wrong and we can discuss all day long, but at this point nothing I've seen indicates otherwise. The recent list of irregulars from TSM is "all" of the irregulars from Alden. Most of those are from Retailers inventory that discovered a defect when a pair were pulled from inventory to be sold and "oops". A prime example is my Whiskey NST on Barrie from TSM. They had a minor defect where the welt met the heel area and it was a sloppy transition. Ed at TSM gave me an option of the $399 defect price of he would get Alden to fix them. I choose to get them fixed. My point is there were in existing inventory, and not recent production.
Let's be real honest...is there any reason that Horween would not crank out rare shell colors if they could? All shell starts as the same color, then dyed. I've seen even small guys who make wallets complaining they can't get black or #8 scraps! Worldwide demand for shell cordovan is far exceeding supply. Horween and Alden do what they do to make money, and you can't make money if you don't have product to sell. Let's also cover 1 other thing...craftsmen. It is my opinion that true artists who work with leather are a dying breed. I'm talking custom shoe and boot makers...let's face it many things of that nature are dying off in America, and worldwide.
Like all forums these are my opinions, and I expect many to not agree. None of the opinions on what I've said have given any logic as to why it's not true, only it's a short term problem. Is Horween hoarding shell cordovan in a secret warehouse?
Have an awesome Thursday!
Stevepost #54150 of 1224166/27/13 at 8:04amQuote:
Rancourt and Alden both dye their shells to color #8. I wonder if you were to use some Alden #8 polish if that would make it a closer match?
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 17 minutes ago
- › I am a type 1 diabetic (questions and comments) 21 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 24 minutes ago
- › NIB Trickers Double Monk in Navy Scotch Grain with Dainite soles... 28 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 31 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 31 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding