Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 4:19 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3597
Styleforum Top Picks
I love them all, but if forced to choose just one, I would go with color 8. Ravello would be next.
I am an engineer, so I would come up with Use Cases for each (outfit's they go well with) and pick the one that goes with more of your wardrobe. But if I had to go straight up just off of looks, I prefer the Ravellos. Though its hard to go wrong with either. Happy hunting!
I know Alden DC just had a run of the Ravello LWBs start and they should be done in the August to September time frame. I am anxiously awaiting mine. But depending upon your size, they may still have some from their previous runs. I know Frans Boone has a pair in Cigar in 10.5D on the Barrie. I am not sure of anywhere else off the top of my head.
Shell cordovan leather should not make sizing any more difficult than calfskin leather, unless you only are referencing the no-crease issue. Go to a brick and mortar store and try on some shell shoes. Hang in there.
Cigar gets the nod for versatility.
Ravello gets the nod for uniqueness.
It's a close call, but I'd go cigar.
I own them both
Color #8 is a great starting point. I think people forget sometimes that the color changes over time. #8 is a rich color that has more depth than cigar. Though I'd say ravello is more vibrant than either. Ravello and to a lesser extent cigar gets more attention because its more difficult to obtain. Having said that, go with what pleases you.
I have the cigar LWB and given the choice between the two, would still go with cigar. I like ravello, but I don't think I would have the occasion to wear them very often, so they're not on the top of my wish list.
I believe ravello is more difficult to find, so if you are on the fence in terms of personal preference and you would get equal use from either, I'd go with ravello. You could pick up a cigar later.
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 5 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 10 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 16 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 8 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 14 minutes ago
- › Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and... 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...