You're pissin' me off STEVE!! Envious of your rapid-fire acquisitions. Wear in great health my friend!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3544post #53146 of 1224166/12/13 at 11:51ampost #53147 of 1224166/12/13 at 11:52amPapa, I too have grown to really appreciate the NST, though I do preffer the Aberdeen last for it's sleeker toe box. Just picked up a pair of almost new pair of Tanker boots from a previous Context MTO - http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1939 can't wait to get them home.post #53148 of 1224166/12/13 at 11:54amQuote:Originally Posted by Ironminded
There seems to be a lot of hate for the Leffot Naval boot going on recently. I personally love the boot, so much so I'm ordering a pair this weekend. I think the combo of perforated captoe, all eyelets and colo #8 is great. I think the boot is both masculine and beefy while still being refined and classic.
While I've kept my eye on the J. Crew boot for a while but I really don't like how speed hooks tend to chew up laces. The only change I'd make to the Leffot boot would be to add a commando or dainit sole - which I may have B. Nelson do.
The Leffot color 8 makeups with light edging/welt seem hipsterish to me whereas Alden color 8 models with black edging are classic. I prefer the latter myself but there really is no right or wrong.post #53149 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:01pmpost #53150 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:02pmpost #53151 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:10pmpost #53152 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:19pmI wouldn't recommend light edging / welt for color 8 models like balmoral wingtips / captoes, full strap loafers, saddles, grant/plaza boots, etc...
But for models that can be worn more casually (longwings, barrie boots, LHS, even chukkas or PTBs), the antique edging really makes the shoe "pop." It does make the shoe more casual, but they still go credibly with pants like grey wool / flannel, navy, etc.post #53153 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:19pmpost #53154 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I wouldn't recommend light edging / welt for color 8 models like balmoral wingtips / captoes, full strap loafers, saddles, grant/plaza boots, etc...
But for models that can be worn more casually (longwings, barrie boots, LHS, even chukkas or PTBs), the antique edging really makes the shoe "pop." It does make the shoe more casual, but they still go credibly with pants like grey wool / flannel, navy, etc.
Agreed.post #53155 of 1224166/12/13 at 12:30pmQuote:
Papa Doble-I originally started with 14D on Barrie and found them to be too big, but certainly wearable, specially on the Aberdeen last with lace-up. I found that 13D and 13E were a lot more available and it seemed a fair amount of rare colors were left...if you worked on the relationship with the store. I tried a few pair, in particular the 13D in Chukka's on Barrie...those fit very well, and 13E on Aberdeen and those fit too. Therefore I tried some 13D and all have fit. A tad snug in some cases but not uncomfortable, more of a fit like my custom cowboy boots which fit like a glove. I'm doing the Mac Method for break in and all pairs are comfortable.
Bottom line is I did a lot of calling, emailing, and then more follow up to score everything I have so far. What has amazed me is I continue to find new pairs from stores I already asked what do you have...and I will take all of it! I don't have an explanation for it, but needless to say I'm rolling with it. I think I've exhausted all the orphan pairs out there through Alden stores, I'm still emailing a few lever seas resources but most of them don't stock larger sizes. I reminded those Asian sources my favorite pitcher Yu Darvish wears big shoes and so does Yao Ming so they next to get with the times!
If any of you SF members run across size 13-14 please PM me. I missed out on a pair on eBay because I had my searches set only for Alden shoes, and not Alden boots too. Missed a nice pair of Cigar boots!
Stevepost #53156 of 1224166/12/13 at 1:09pmpost #53157 of 1224166/12/13 at 1:27pmAninteresting topic for sure. Lately in the quarter there seems to be a battle brewing between natives and hipsters who are buying up property. I noticed an individual wearing a t shirt the other day which read kill the hipsters. What exactly defines a hipster?post #53158 of 1224166/12/13 at 1:32pmQuote:
Ill defined at best. http://nplusonemag.com/what-was-hipsterpost #53159 of 1224166/12/13 at 1:35pm
According to Urban Dictionary....Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilitiespost #53160 of 1224166/12/13 at 1:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood
Ill defined at best. http://nplusonemag.com/what-was-hipster
This is my favorite part:
Like “douchebag,” “hipster” was a name that no one could apply to oneself. But the opportunity to call someone else a “douchebag”: that offered the would-be hipster a means of self-identification by a name one could say, looking outward. In the douchebag, the hipster had found its Other.
So true. Hipsters never admit to being a hipster, but always accuse others of being one. It's like every single one of them is convinced that they pioneered the sockless and skinny jeans look and was the first person to discover J Crew.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 57 seconds ago
- › $425 Zanone Incotex Slowear Striped Polo-Medium Mr. Porter 1 minute ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 3 minutes ago
- › $425 Zanone Incotex Slowear Striped Polo-Medium Mr. Porter 5 minutes ago
- › Zam Barrett Dialogue/ Zfactorie - Official Affiliate Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 6 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...