Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3518post #52757 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:23pmpost #52758 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:25pm
The oldest Aldens I own -- captoe bluchers in color 8 and black cordovan -- I bought over 21 years ago. They are a bit looser now than when I bought them - I assume because the cordovan has stretched a bit, but they fit great. I hope to still have a ways to go so I cannot comment on how they may fit twenty years from now. But so far, so good.
This is not directly germane to your question, but these post-20 year-old shoes also look great -- that is, they have held up extremely well. They have each been resoled at least twice - maybe three times. The heels have been replaced many times. I have always cared for them reasonably well - always used shoe trees, polished as needed -- but not babied them. I have been amazed at how well they have held up and it is a big reason why I am such a fan of Alden shoes.post #52759 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:25pmpost #52760 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:33pmpost #52761 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by totalair1
I'm amazed at what happens when you continue to call around looking for Alden in rare shell colors. I called every Alden store I could find that stocked my big foot size. As you are aware I had some very good luck and bought a lot of rare colors. I figured I had wiped them out, but while following up on some Alden Leather Defender they owed me, I thought I would ask again. Need less to say I was surprised when when I was told we have a pair of Cigar PTB, let me check they are here, and they were! So I now have a pair of Cigar PTB headed my way which was on my grail list. I guess I need to make another round of calls. Reminds me of iRobot...you have to ask the right question.
Thought I would post a few photos of new acquisitions. The cigar tassel's are in tassel training and the whiskey chukka's are in Mac boot camp.
Have a great weekend!
enjoy wearing your chukkas and tassels in good healthpost #52762 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:39pmpost #52763 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by totalair1
Uncle-I love these cigar NST.
I don't have them in Barrie, but I do have the NST on Aberdeen in slip on, and lace up. I'm working on getting some Argyle socks, but it's hard to find them in larger sizes...i.e. 13-15. I did get some socks from Mr. Porter this week on their sale.
try alex kabbaz at customshirts1.compost #52764 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:44pmUncle-Thanks! I hope you know it was pictures of your cigar tassel's that swayed me to get my cigar tassel's. A very classic shoe!
I'm excited about scoring the Cigar PTB today. I also am working on a Ravello PTB coming this fall.
Stevepost #52765 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:47pmpost #52766 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:53pmQuote:
Lovely. I think the tan suede bluchers are next in line for me.
In terms of actual everyday wear, what's the difference between lined and unlined suede? Is it just a question of how warm they are?post #52767 of 1224166/7/13 at 1:57pmQuote:
the tassel shoe was created in 1947 by alden shoe company. you are correct that it is a classic shoe. the king of the tassel is #8post #52768 of 1224166/7/13 at 2:05pmQuote:
Congrats on another great find! You've been a successful detective lately.
I know exactly how you feel Steve. I've been after the cigar PTB for a while and missed out a couple of times. I got in the habit of checking TSM about weekly and jumped on it when I found them in my size. Definitely one of my all time favorite makeups. Now, if I could just find a cigar LWB and I'd be done .
I'll repost these to tide you over.
And lastly, I scuffed up one side of the edge trim pretty badly. I used some brown cream polish followed by brown paste wax to seal it. I need to pick up some AE chili edge dressing but this seems to be holding up well after a few wears.
And after:post #52769 of 1224166/7/13 at 2:10pmQuote:
I love my unlined chukkas and find that they wear much differently than the lined chukka. Not cooler but much lighter and more slipper-like. That likely has more to do with the crepe vs flexwelt, I'd guess. The lined PTB feels like walking on air...much like the unlined chukka. It has the flexwelt as well so perhaps I just prefer the flexwelt over the crepe.post #52770 of 1224166/7/13 at 2:14pmQuote:
I would never have thought about owning 3 shoes in the same make in this light. I have to say it's an interesting concept. #8 PTB for me. It was my first Alden and for good reason.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 54 seconds ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › How to make darts less noticeable? 14 minutes ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 15 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 16 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 22 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...