or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3493  

post #52381 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

 

Gcb3, hand claps to you for this creative idea!  I am very likely in on this given how most of the responses have been. Here is some input/preferences from me, but on most I am flexible:

 

- Color in the vein of cigar, cognac, saddle would be my preference.  Ruby would unfortunately count me out.  It's just not versatile enough for my needs.

- Preference is a double leather sole but I'd go commando or Dainite.

- All eyelet or with speedhooks, I'm open.

- Flat welt or storm welt, I'm open.  Maybe a preference for a flat welt.

- My preference is a close heel (270) vs. a 360 but not a show-stopper

- Preference would be a cap toe with no brogueing but I'm open.

 

In summary, this sounds very exciting.  Thanks to you for starting this.

One thing i missed.  I know Barrie lasts are much more popular than the Modified Last but I'd just jump on it if it were on the Modified Last.  But I'd go Barrie also.

post #52382 of 122416

has anyone got their hand on the Tarrago nano protector that Leffot is distributing? I have a can enroute, wondering how it might work out on cordovan.. might try it on some AE patriot seconds that I have.. wondering what it may or may not do to the finish/shine

post #52383 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

 

Gcb3, hand claps to you for this creative idea!  I am very likely in on this given how most of the responses have been. Here is some input/preferences from me, but on most I am flexible:

 

- Color in the vein of cigar, cognac, saddle would be my preference.  Ruby would unfortunately count me out.  It's just not versatile enough for my needs.

- Preference is a double leather sole but I'd go commando or Dainite.

- All eyelet or with speedhooks, I'm open.

- Flat welt or storm welt, I'm open.  Maybe a preference for a flat welt.

- My preference is a close heel (270) vs. a 360 but not a show-stopper

- Preference would be a cap toe with no brogueing but I'm open.

 

In summary, this sounds very exciting.  Thanks to you for starting this.

 

pretty much my preference to a T, in a boot format. more towards cigar colorwise. definite no to the ruby.

post #52384 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

has anyone got their hand on the Tarrago nano protector that Leffot is distributing? I have a can enroute, wondering how it might work out on cordovan.. might try it on some AE patriot seconds that I have.. wondering what it may or may not do to the finish/shine

I'd be a little scared to put it on my shell cordovan but maybe that's just me. 

post #52385 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

I'd be a little scared to put it on my shell cordovan but maybe that's just me. 

I have no doubt that it would protect against rain (as the Leffot video easily shows on those snuff ptbs), I'm just wondering how a pair of cordo would shine up.. also wonder what some renomat would do against it

 

might have to experiment bounce2.gif

post #52386 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrolike View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post


What AE last(s) do you wear? And what Alden lasts are you looking at? Special Alden makeup aren't often available even in an E width, but many stock styles are available in E, EE, maybe EEE. Now how long it will take to get them... that's another question.

I'm not sure about the lasts. My fav pair are the park avenues, I also have 3 pairs of mcclains. I'm looking at getting a pair of Alden Indys...I've been told they are a must for anyone who owns Alden's. I also want a pair similar to my park avenues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

 

Great site

 

 

...depends on the particular AE model, (more specifically the last) and the particular Alden model (specifically the last).  I don't think you can really make such a generalization that Alden run a size larger than AE.

Thats what I've heard from some of the guys at B&B who own Alden's and AE's. If I order a pair from Shoe Mart and they don't fit, can I return them?


Park Avenues (AE's 5-65 last) should be pretty close to the aberdeen last.  I would think you can order the same size in Alden's version of the cap toe oxford (907 or 9071).  As for the Indy, I would go a half size down with a D width.  Trubalance last runs pretty large and wide.  I suppose you could also order the E  width in the Indy to be sure.

 

Good luck my friend!

post #52387 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

style number seems exclusive to Barneys, i'd be willing to bet that's the standard 975 but may not be a picture of it. either that, or their picture color is just not very accurate. 

I agree. I think it is just a bad picture of model 975.
post #52388 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcbrown3 View Post

I know that this is an Alden thread, but I'm gauging interest on how many people would want a "Thor Boot" made in Ruby Shell Cordovan by Carmina.

I am sending them a Barrie lasted boot to recreate. The boot will have the toe box and width of an Alden Barrie, but the quality of a Carmina.

I own 15 Alden Shell Boots/Shoes, so do not think that I some Carmina guy poaching. I'm sick of the cordovan shortage and the quality control over at a certain Massachussetts based company.

All Boots will be made in Horween Shell with a leather Sole. Was thinking about possibly Dainite, but leather would be my first choice.

The shell is Ruby colored.

I always felt that Carmina Boots were too European. Too narrow, too sleek in the toe, too high in the upper and I never liked the eyelets. They were just too formal. I am going to send them two pairs of my boots and these will be the perfect boot that every Slden fan has been waiting for. I am not going to be profiting from this. All payments will be made directly through Carmina.

I am simply going to make sure that the boot is made like the boots we love. As I said, A
n samples will be shipped to Spain. I just figured that they're not going to make continuous runs of this boot and I am just gauging interest.

I did a similar thing with Viberg in Whiskey Cordovan and they turned out amazing.

I've been talking with some guys on this board who I respect to make sure that we get the style right. I have also been talking with Carmina. If a certain number of you show interest and are willing to eventually pay 50% deposit, I'll have Carmina save the shells for us.

Was going to just do this for 4 guys, but figured why not share the wealth.

I'm interested.

post #52389 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcbrown3 View Post

I know that this is an Alden thread, but I'm gauging interest on how many people would want a "Thor Boot" made in Ruby Shell Cordovan by Carmina.

I am sending them a Barrie lasted boot to recreate. The boot will have the toe box and width of an Alden Barrie, but the quality of a Carmina.

I own 15 Alden Shell Boots/Shoes, so do not think that I some Carmina guy poaching. I'm sick of the cordovan shortage and the quality control over at a certain Massachussetts based company.

All Boots will be made in Horween Shell with a leather Sole. Was thinking about possibly Dainite, but leather would be my first choice.

The shell is Ruby colored..

I've been talking with some guys on this board who I respect to make sure that we get the style right. I have also been talking with Carmina. If a certain number of you show interest and are willing to eventually pay 50% deposit, I'll have Carmina save the shells for us.

Was going to just do this for 4 guys, but figured why not share the wealth.

Cool idea. I'd be interested IF Carmina could guarantee DARK cognac (as close to cigar as possible).

All eyelets. Double leather. Dark edge trim. Close heel. Flat welt. Perf captoe. I'm not as set on those details as the dark cognac.
Edited by Mr. Six - 6/3/13 at 1:06am
post #52390 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Cool idea. I'd be interested IF Carmina could guarantee DARK cognac (as close to cigar as possible).

All eyelets. Double leather. Dark edge trim. Close heel. Flat welt. Perf captoe. I'm not as set on those details as the dark cognac.

he said Thor but in Ruby
post #52391 of 122416
I'd be in for that if Carmina could make as close to a replication as possible of the Thor boot in cognac shell. Our MTO with Alden DC will probably never get made, so I can jump on board with a Carmina version.

BTW, OP with the original idea for this - probably should go ahead and make a new thread so the Alden thread doesn't get cluttered with Carmina MTO talk. However, great idea to start the talk in here to get a bunch of Alden addicts on board smile.gif
post #52392 of 122416
#8 full strap
argyles otc

post #52393 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Cool idea. I'd be interested IF Carmina could guarantee DARK cognac (as close to cigar as possible).

All eyelets. Double leather. Dark edge trim. Close heel. Flat welt. Perf captoe. I'm not as set on those details as the dark cognac.

I know Carmina has done MTOs in the past with cognac where the color came out significantly lighter than expected. I agree that a dark cognac would be preferable.

Also, I know GCB said he wanted something like the Barrie, but considering that so many Alden models are made on the Barrie, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in something like the Grant or Plaza. Perhaps the idea was to create a very typical Alden boot via Carmina rather than a boot similar to one that Carmina already makes?
post #52394 of 122416
You guys should check out page 223 of the Epaulet x Carmina MTO thread. Mike has a picture of a vintage WWII John Lobb boot that he is going to have Carmina make. He is thinking of doing it in the Cognac cordovan (same color as their Anderson jumper boot). This may be a bit high for some but it should come out pretty stellar looking.
post #52395 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

#8 full strap
argyles otc

Uncle Mac, love the classy #8 full straps and argyles.The 684's have a dressier look than the LHS's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.