Really nice pair. Sizing wise, how does the Grant compare with the Barrie? You got me thinking here.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 4:19 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3392
Styleforum Top Picks
go for it!
The #8 with the light edge trim is one of my favorite looks. These are beauts. I'm going to have to try to grab these if they ever come back around.
Thanks! I usually wear a brown CXL belt with these. If im going super casual, I may even wear a natural colored belt, which is a closer match to the edge trim of the boots. I'm not much of a stickler for matching shoe and belt colors exactly. It's one of those things I think most people put way too much thought into.
I agree; I'm not into too much matchy matchy. I have a natural leather Tanner belt that I wear with pretty much everything except for black.
Hey Guys help me out! I've found several Alden I need to decide about:
993 Saddle in Black Shell Barrie last FD $399
97285 Wing Tip-Bal in Whiskey Tremont last $714
From what I can tell, the Tremont fits very similar tot he Barrie last. Is this correct?
Both are 13D so I'm not sure about the fit yet. The 14C I'm wearing today is a Barrie and I can fit my entire finger behind my heel with the shoe on. I know a pair of 13E LHS Brooks Brothers in shell fit good. So I'm hopeful a 13D Barrie will work.
Which one would you get?
If 13D Barrie fits well, the Tremont last 13D should work. If the size is right, I would go with the whiskey wt bal!! Great shoe
In the grand scheme of things...shell cordovan shoes likely account for 1% or less of the shoes that a cobbler sees for repair or re-crafting. Based on what I know about high end cowboy boots and how they are lasted, stretching a truly well made boot, regardless of hide will net very little gain. I've seen brand new boots ruined where the hide indeed split because of a stretching attempt. If you have a small area that rubs you wrong, or need a small area stretched that's fine to tweak. However expecting anymore than a small tweak is risky at best IMHO. I feel this experience holds true in shell cordovan shoes. Most of the stretch is removed during lasting, otherwise the shoes won't look good long term. Basically stretch at your own risk!
Good points, Steve. My experience exactly.
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) just now
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 11 seconds ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 40 seconds ago
- › Which Jacket is he wearing? 2 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 2 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › is it ok to wear short sleeve shirts? 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Cronmok Boots 11.5D With box and bags 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...