I did for a time. I would go the same size in each though note the Beckman toe box is higher so will feel a bit looser vertically in the toe region.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 7:10 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3382post #50716 of 1224165/14/13 at 8:47ampost #50717 of 1224165/14/13 at 8:58amQuote:Quote:
Not sure if Don L is responding to your post, or the one on suede care, but I was going to suggest the soft cloth and spritz of water.
Think of the brush as rough-grit sand paper and the soft cloth as fine-grit. Shines in general, whether it be on a shoe, car, or whatever, are the result of an ultra-smooth and even surface. The soft cloth really smooths/evens out the surface oils or wax beyond what a brush does, and brings out that high-gloss finish.post #50718 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:03ampost #50719 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:22amQuote:
I'm an Alden guy through and through, but I own enough vintage NOS Florsheim Imperials and Hanovers (LB Sheppard line) to know they are easily the equal to Alden. I have a color 4 NOS ptb Hanover and it is made so well I think I could run it over with my car.post #50720 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:24ampost #50721 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:25amQuote:Originally Posted by The Deacon
I've owned the varying vintage old stock hanover ptb in cognac shell and black shell and they were easily the equal of my NIB shell Alden #8 PTB. The Hanover had thicker shell and thicker soles. In fact the black ones with the combination heel with cobbler nails were superior in my estimation.Quote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
I'm an Alden guy through and through, but I own enough vintage NOS Florsheim Imperials and Hanovers (LB Sheppard line) to know they are easily the equal to Alden. I have a color 4 NOS ptb Hanover and it is made so well I think I could run it over with my car.
Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to receiving. Do they have a steel shank like Alden?post #50722 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:28ampost #50723 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:34amQuote:
You can try ebay or classicshoesformen.com
FWIW, the guy who runs classic shoes (I do not know him) contends that the Florsheim of old made the finest shoes ever produced in Amercia and that they rival the finest RTW shoes ever made anywhere in the world - in terms of build quality and construction, materials, etc.
Two of my go-to shoes are shell PTBs - one black, one color 8 - both are vintage Florsheim Imperial.post #50724 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:52ampost #50725 of 1224165/14/13 at 9:53ampost #50726 of 1224165/14/13 at 10:03ampost #50727 of 1224165/14/13 at 10:27ampost #50728 of 1224165/14/13 at 10:43amGentlemen,
I need to make some quick decisions,
I wear 8.5D in Barrie, Tremont and Tru Balance and 9D in Plaza last. I have a chance to purchase 1494 suede chukkas on Leydon in 9D for really great price (irregular).
I do have a bit of room in Barrie but Tremont is just perfect. Any suggestions?
thankspost #50729 of 1224165/14/13 at 10:44amI yet marvel at the old stock Florsheim Imperials. They are at a different level from even the Florsheim Royal Imperials that came later. The former sometimes had a stiffener in the leather at the arch. i've recently sold some with that enhancement. I have a nice pair of PTB in 7D burgundy shell I'm going to list soon. BTW, those old Imperials in NOS condition are worth their weight in gold!post #50730 of 1224165/14/13 at 10:51amQuestion for Alden Suede Experts
I have decided to get some Alden suede shoes. Have many pairs of shells in all colors except black and #4. Have suede from other nice makers, like EG and C&J. From Alden I think initially I will get brown, not tan or snuff. In fact bought a pair of Alden suede Brooks tassel loafers over the weekend.
Trying to get a handle on the various kinds and colors of brown suede Alden uses. I was in touch with Alden and learned that my new Brooks loafers are "mocha brown kid suede". What are the shades of brown that Alden uses? What does "kid" mean here?
For example, are the NST's that Ben Silver sells the exact same suede? Or the chukka boots which so many places sell? I asked Brenda at Alden these questions directly and couldn't get a clear answer.
Been through the ringer with this with C&J; those guys have tobacco and snuff, among others, and they are different!
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Watches for suits vs. Watches for casual 2 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 3 minutes ago
- › Jacket Fit, yay or nay? 4 minutes ago
- › White Tie To Prom? 5 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 23 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 24 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 26 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 31 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 32 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...