Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 6:57 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3229post #48421 of 1224164/14/13 at 6:31amLast attempt at Patina Sundays then I'll take the hint. This was my first pair of Aldens that I bought at the Tom Austin sale almost a year ago. The right shoe was a floor model that had been out since 2002 and was restored in an attempt to match the left. It was a fairly unsuccessful effort but I've grown to enjoy the variation.
post #48422 of 1224164/14/13 at 6:41amQuote:
What you see on the cloth isn't dye from the leather, it's the finish & polish applied at the factory (Alden factory, not the leather tannery/Horween). Alden seems to have less polish than other shell makers like AE in my experience. On my shell AE's for instance, the shell appears rather dry and a bit dull, until you remove that layer of factory finish/polish. Once removed, they develop the depth and color that is so coveted.
Conditioners like Renovateur and Venetian really don't have the ability or strength to remove dye from leather.post #48423 of 1224164/14/13 at 7:06amQuote:While I agree there is variation in shell there are also many variables that can affect colors in photos and the color display on the monitors as well.Quote:Some color would probably come off if you rub a shoe with a dry cloth or just a little water.Originally Posted by mediahound
Does anyone have any experience with Alden's Fine Boot Cream (neutral) to take the place of either Saphir Renovateur or Venetian Shoe Cream on shell cordovan?
I saw an Alden employee at the Alden SF shop using this on shell cordovan in the store so I imagine it's okay.
One thing that concerns me with both Saphir Reno and Venetian, is that some dye seems to come off on your cloth each time you use it. Use a white cloth and you can really notice it.
Maybe the Alden boot cream is better?Quote:LMFAO!post #48424 of 1224164/14/13 at 7:13ampost #48425 of 1224164/14/13 at 7:30amQuote:Originally Posted by stmaier
PSA...Context has a black shell tanker up for pre-order...November delivery...Barrie last & commando sole...$772...same as the color #8 version...
I know black shell does not get a lot of love around here but this is a style that I think looks fantastic in black shell...
I don't know why that is, I enjoy my black shells as much as any other color... Thanks for the tip stmaier, oddly enough I searched Context PreOrder, and found a page to their first pre order for this tanker in No.8, which still offered them in one size, in my case, my size, so I snatched them up at $717, instead of the end price point... http://contextclothing.com/item.php?id=2244 The order went through, card successfully charged, confirmation received...
Let's see if I really get them or receive a Dear John letter... LOLpost #48426 of 1224164/14/13 at 7:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Roguls
An oxymoron. Though, maybe not:
It was the Yamazakipost #48427 of 1224164/14/13 at 7:31ampost #48428 of 1224164/14/13 at 7:32ampost #48429 of 1224164/14/13 at 8:16amQuote:Originally Posted by PhiPsi32Quote:Originally Posted by NewYorkIslander
I've worn these a ton...one treatment of Saphir Reno. How come you're selling them PhiPsi? I love these so much and am still a little bummed I didn't jump on the black ones (they're long sold out in my size...hands down the most comfortable footwear I own, and I don't dislike the wedge sole like a lot of guys do, I love it!
I have two pairs of these. They're so durable I don't actually need the second pair.
That reminds me of a night I went to the local comedy club for free amateur night. Steven Wright showed up unexpectedly and the one I remember was this:
"I got a new camera. It's so advanced I don't even need it."post #48430 of 1224164/14/13 at 8:28amQuote:Originally Posted by CalceoAdamator
Sky Valet still has some available in a decent size offering.... http://www.skyvalet1.com/Alden-9905_p_196.html
Thanks, I knew of that one, unfortunately they only have a 10.5d and I need a 10d.post #48431 of 1224164/14/13 at 9:16ampost #48432 of 1224164/14/13 at 9:24am
Patina Sunday -- after plenty of mac method last night and this morning:
Top: #8 LHS; Cigar Captoe Boots (Alden DC); Cigar Indy (Leffot)
Bottom: #8 LWB; Ravello LWB (Alden DC); Ravello SWB (Leathersoul); AF21 Whiskey LWB (AoC)
Of interest is the difference between the two pairs of Ravello shell. The LWB is newer and has a more ruby hue than the SWB.post #48433 of 1224164/14/13 at 9:37amQuote:
I use the fine boot cream on my shell from time to time. The guys at Alden SF recommended it as an option to me. They also did an in shop demonstration with it to remove some scrapes/scuffs on a pair I wore into the shop and it worked very well.post #48434 of 1224164/14/13 at 9:40amQuote:
I think I'll buy some and give it a try and compare it to Venetian.
What were the steps they did in their demonstration? Just curious.post #48435 of 1224164/14/13 at 10:09amQuote:Quote:
You will get color transfer from leather shoes (shell or calf for that matter) onto the polishing cloth on brand new shoes if you use any conditioning product that contains solvent. Note that VSC, Reno, etc. all use solvent and I suspect that Alden's shoe cream does as well. All/most shoe care products use solvent to some degree including pigmented shoe creams and paste wax, but especially products like VSC and Reno.
Check the shoe care thread, glenjay explains the ingredients found in shoe care products and their purpose very well.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Mod to Suedehead 37 seconds ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 22 minutes ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 24 minutes ago
- › East Sicily Tailors 25 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 28 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 31 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 39 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 41 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 42 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway