or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3211  

post #48151 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

It is at least $1,600 - been that way for a few years

Yeah that is what I thought too, poster said $1300 for EG shell, was asking him where that price exists
post #48152 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post



Got the black fleece chukkas today, grain on one shoe is almost gone is this from sun wear or from creasing? Not really noticeable when wearing but a bit curious. Posting from mobile so click to enlarge

Also find this pair (10.5d) to fit tighter than my shell lwb which is a 10d fwiw

Funny. I got a pair of those today too. Same size. They've got a similar variation in grain.
I've got a pair of grain Tricker's which are that way too. My BBBF black grain LWBs are pretty uniform though.

Sizing on these chukkas feel pretty much the same as my other Barrie chukkas.

They feel like they've been sitting on some shelf since Autumn 2007.
post #48153 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Is Unionmade the only retailer with this makeup? I already sent an email in to them, but if I can pick the size on their site does that mean it is in stock and available? Anyone have experience with them? Dumb question, probably.

Late to the party here but yes, only Unionmade has this exact combo with the neocork. I have and love these boots, bought them around this time last year and only now have they restocked. Fit/feel exactly like Indy's and I usually alternate between these and 403's in the winter. Here's mine after applying some pitch blend.



An unrelated note: picked these up from Sid Mashburn last weekend. First Ravello shoes for me and last size in stock (other than a 9.5D on display).
Can anyone identify the last? Appears to be Aberdeen but was told it was "custom" in store.


post #48154 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah that is what I thought too, poster said $1300 for EG shell, was asking him where that price exists

Was wondering the same thing since my calf Dovers that I just got cost that.
post #48155 of 122416
I'm not sure how much experience you have with manufacturing. Expansion isn't an easy thing. Alden isn't expanding, they are just taking advantage of their capability to hold the market by the .... Why expand when customer are willing (in these days of age) to wait 10+ weeks for horse hide light brown delivery.
post #48156 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


It is at least $1,600 - been that way for a few years

A bit too much for me, frankly. 

post #48157 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitedge View Post

for those who have the pleasure of wearing this suede tassel:

1. Doe they look funny with socks? Do you wear them with chinos/jeans/slacks?

2. Copley last run TTS?


Copley runs TTS for me, was the best fitting last right out of the box for me, 1/2 size down barrie is just behind it for me. I wish more shoes were made on it.
post #48158 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by creacher View Post

An unrelated note: picked these up from Sid Mashburn last weekend. First Ravello shoes for me and last size in stock (other than a 9.5D on display).
Can anyone identify the last? Appears to be Aberdeen but was told it was "custom" in store.


Can't really tell without a shot from directly above or below.  If they fit TTS, they may be Aberdeen. Otherwise I'd say it's barrie.  I like this PTB without the 360 storm welt.  Looks similar to the BB PTB except for the eyelets.  Congrats on a wonderful pick up... wear in great health!

post #48159 of 122416

#8 loafers on Grant last
post #48160 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by izach View Post

I'm not sure how much experience you have with manufacturing. Expansion isn't an easy thing. Alden isn't expanding, they are just taking advantage of their capability to hold the market by the .... Why expand when customer are willing (in these days of age) to wait 10+ weeks for horse hide light brown delivery.

10+ weeks? More like 10+ months (and that would be good)... LOL... Supply and demand management... Keep them hungry for the product...
post #48161 of 122416
Quote:
is that the marlow? how does it fit compared to barrie last?

 

So the marlow size 8.5 is very much an Alden Hampton last - which is narrower than Barrie with a similar toe box that is just a bit trimmer on each side. Since they are bluchers the top arch gets extra room and that arch is just as tight as my Hampton last balmoral cap toes when first out of the box. The length along the bottom soul 1/8 longer than a size 8 Barrie balmoral and width is a hard call soul to soul. One shoe is a bit tighter and mostly along the top arch just behind the pinky toe, that area is easy to stretch and stretches the most during break-in. When tied it looks to have a perfect spacing between flaps. I may call these TTS so up size from Barrie if you have Hampton that last is closest but the marlow may also be close to Tremont as far as width along the outer arch and also they feel flat for now, I like the fit on the ankle and instep and expext the outer mid area to loosen nicely after two wears out in the field. 

So as an 8E Barrie I went 8.5D Marlow. I get Aldens for the ability they had to custom fit. So the Marlow toe box leaves just enough room any tighter and I would never wear them as I prefer the room with out sacrificing to wrong length. Still these are less tight than another pair I had out of the box in my true Alden size on that last and those now feel big somedays. Bought these by mail with fit recommendation from this thread and people here are pros or very experienced so thanks to you SF gurus. 

Quote:
 

Edited by Resistant - 4/10/13 at 6:41pm
post #48162 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistant View Post







Here is an example of cigar shell on Hampton last with natural edge trim double soul. Not a bad impersonation and on sale, so I popped to hold me over until my pre-order ships. 

Life only feels normal with an Alden pre-order to wait for. I could survive waiting for unicorn cap boots, just get ten other pair while I wait and wait...

is that the marlow? how does it fit compared to barrie last?

It fits more true to size, narrower and shorter than barrie.
post #48163 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by creacher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Is Unionmade the only retailer with this makeup? I already sent an email in to them, but if I can pick the size on their site does that mean it is in stock and available? Anyone have experience with them? Dumb question, probably.

Late to the party here but yes, only Unionmade has this exact combo with the neocork. I have and love these boots, bought them around this time last year and only now have they restocked. Fit/feel exactly like Indy's and I usually alternate between these and 403's in the winter. Here's mine after applying some pitch blend.


Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I should jump on them if they have my size in stock? I would like them for this Fall. I'd hate to have to wait till next year.
post #48164 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistant View Post







Here is an example of cigar shell on Hampton last with natural edge trim double soul. Not a bad impersonation and on sale, so I popped to hold me over until my pre-order ships. 

Life only feels normal with an Alden pre-order to wait for. I could survive waiting for unicorn cap boots, just get ten other pair while I wait and wait...

Hey Resistant, do your new Marlows have an issue where the heel plane doesn't align with the sole? Meaning, if you hold the heel against a flat surface, are the soles elevated? I just got mine today and sent them back for replacements because of that. It was putting a lot of pressure at the front of the heel.
post #48165 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post


Hey Resistant, do your new Marlows have an issue where the heel plane doesn't align with the sole? Meaning, if you hold the heel against a flat surface, are the soles elevated? I just got mine today and sent them back for replacements because of that. It was putting a lot of pressure at the front of the heel.

 

Mine do that to a small degree. I've never noticed it while wearing them however do notice the front part of the heel has more wear. I expect it will even out as the heel wears down more over time and the soles loosen up. 


Edited by phototristan - 4/10/13 at 6:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.