Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 7:04 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3199post #47971 of 1224164/9/13 at 1:37pmpost #47972 of 1224164/9/13 at 1:38pmpost #47973 of 1224164/9/13 at 1:40pmpost #47974 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:05pmpost #47975 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:15pmQuote:
Not chukka on Leydon last but a nice makeup on Barrie just arrived at LS:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2013/04/08/alden-shoe-navy-suede-shortwing-lsw/post #47976 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:29pmpost #47977 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:31pmpost #47978 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:31pmpost #47979 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:43pm
This is interesting - my 8.5D JCrew Cap Toe Boots are actually smaller in exterior dimension/circumference than my 8D LWBs. Both are Barrie last.
Interior feels about the same.
I know a lot depends on the width of the welt and the LWB have a really wide welt. But still interesting that an 8.5D is be smaller than an 8D.post #47980 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:45pmQuote:
This seems to be a theme for Barrie lasted high boots. For example, my 11 D Tankers on the Barrie appear to fit similarly to 10.5 D and 11 C PTBs on the Barrie.post #47981 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:49pmpost #47982 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:51pmpost #47983 of 1224164/9/13 at 3:00pm
RE: Alden quality control (or lack thereof) - you ain't kidding!
I went to Alden SF on my lunch break today and took a close look at 3 pairs of LWBs, every one had some form of small defect or another!
-One pair had a deep hammer tap imprint on the sole edge (that would only be able to be remedied when you have them resoled).
-One pair had pretty bad Color 8 uneven dye issues. Quite noticeable in indoor lighting and would be very noticeable out in the sun.
-One pair had some stitch holes right along a stitch seam where it looked like they messed up and then went back and re-sewed.
IMO, all three pairs should have been rejected as seconds, not first run quality.
The guys at the store said that one one pair is usually never absolutely perfect yet there can be varying degrees of imperfections. They also do not allow you to pick one shoe from one box and swap it with another box. This is likely because then they would end up with one pair where each shoe had some defect. From what I saw, usually only one shoe had some form of defect.
They were quite nice about it, had no problems letting me examine all of the pairs in my size they had in stock, and said on any of them I could get a refund or exchange if I decided I couldn't live it with after I got them home (as long as they were not worn).
On the one hand, when paying so much for a new pair of shoes, you want them to be virtually perfect. On the other hand, it is true that once you wear them for a few months, usually you start not really caring the about imperfections any more.post #47984 of 1224164/9/13 at 3:06pmpost #47985 of 1224164/9/13 at 3:24pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Suit Supply Havana Blue Stripe Linen Silk Suit 36R Suitsupply 9 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 10 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 10 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 11 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 15 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 15 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 18 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Wool Ties — DIME PIECES ONLY — Kiton & Luciano Barbera 23 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding