Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 11:20 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3199post #47971 of 1224164/9/13 at 1:37pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #47972 of 1224164/9/13 at 1:38pmpost #47973 of 1224164/9/13 at 1:40pmpost #47974 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:05pmpost #47975 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:15pmQuote:
Not chukka on Leydon last but a nice makeup on Barrie just arrived at LS:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2013/04/08/alden-shoe-navy-suede-shortwing-lsw/post #47976 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:29pmpost #47977 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:31pmpost #47978 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:31pmpost #47979 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:43pm
This is interesting - my 8.5D JCrew Cap Toe Boots are actually smaller in exterior dimension/circumference than my 8D LWBs. Both are Barrie last.
Interior feels about the same.
I know a lot depends on the width of the welt and the LWB have a really wide welt. But still interesting that an 8.5D is be smaller than an 8D.post #47980 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:45pmQuote:
This seems to be a theme for Barrie lasted high boots. For example, my 11 D Tankers on the Barrie appear to fit similarly to 10.5 D and 11 C PTBs on the Barrie.post #47981 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:49pmpost #47982 of 1224164/9/13 at 2:51pmpost #47983 of 1224164/9/13 at 3:00pm
RE: Alden quality control (or lack thereof) - you ain't kidding!
I went to Alden SF on my lunch break today and took a close look at 3 pairs of LWBs, every one had some form of small defect or another!
-One pair had a deep hammer tap imprint on the sole edge (that would only be able to be remedied when you have them resoled).
-One pair had pretty bad Color 8 uneven dye issues. Quite noticeable in indoor lighting and would be very noticeable out in the sun.
-One pair had some stitch holes right along a stitch seam where it looked like they messed up and then went back and re-sewed.
IMO, all three pairs should have been rejected as seconds, not first run quality.
The guys at the store said that one one pair is usually never absolutely perfect yet there can be varying degrees of imperfections. They also do not allow you to pick one shoe from one box and swap it with another box. This is likely because then they would end up with one pair where each shoe had some defect. From what I saw, usually only one shoe had some form of defect.
They were quite nice about it, had no problems letting me examine all of the pairs in my size they had in stock, and said on any of them I could get a refund or exchange if I decided I couldn't live it with after I got them home (as long as they were not worn).
On the one hand, when paying so much for a new pair of shoes, you want them to be virtually perfect. On the other hand, it is true that once you wear them for a few months, usually you start not really caring the about imperfections any more.post #47984 of 1224164/9/13 at 3:06pmpost #47985 of 1224164/9/13 at 3:24pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 31 seconds ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 38 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › SNS Herning- fits? 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Oxford US Size 10 D roughout 3 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 4 minutes ago
- › Alden X Epaulet "Bregenz" Alpine Grain NST Bluchers on Commando... 5 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 6 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?