Edited by MrGuy - 4/3/13 at 4:43pm
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:09 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3167post #47491 of 1224164/3/13 at 4:32pmpost #47492 of 1224164/3/13 at 4:35pmI love the Barrie personally but I dress much more casually than others on here. I find it fits me well and strikes a great balance between high end yet everyday wearability. I know some find it blobby, but I personally do not.
I have a pair of Plaza boots on order and am curious if I will love it or find it too sleek/dressy for my tastes. Keep in mind I never wear suits and am only in denim and khaki so my tastes differ from others.post #47493 of 1224164/3/13 at 4:41pmI've been reading for quite a while, and have been itching for my first pair of Aldens. Given the wealth of pictures, and realistic availability, I was leaning towards #8 lwb. I found a local carrier who carries them. I went to try on a pair & verify fit. Having tried on the lwb Barrie... Holy huge shoe! The last seemed monstrous (aesthetically speaking). Did anyone else have a similar reaction, and subsequently end up falling in love?
Now, having expressed my thoughts to the SA, he produced a pair of swb Tremont last #8. They are virtually unworn, with very minimal creasing from being tried on numerous times. He is offering at $500 dueto said creasing. Seems too good a deal to pass up as the creasing wouldnt bother me in the slightest. Are the swb substantially less versatile? Ie, jeans, chinos etc?
Tried to find pics of casual #8 swb in the wild, without much results.
Sorry for the longwinded first post. Any help & guidance is greatly appreciated.post #47494 of 1224164/3/13 at 4:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by MrGuy
I've been reading for quite a while, and have been itching for my first pair of Aldens. Given the wealth of pictures, and realistic availability, I was leaning towards #8 lwb. I found a local carrier who carries them, in stock, in my size no less. I took the plunge and went to try on a pair to verify fit, and potentially purchase my first pair. Having tried on the lwb Barrie... Holy huge shoe! The thing seemed huge (aesthetically speaking). Did anyone else have a similar reaction, and subsequently end up falling in love?
Now, having expressed my thoughts to the SA, he produced a pair of swb Tremont last #8. They are virtually unworn, with very minimal creasing from being tried on. He is offering at $500. Seems too good a deal to a
Pretty different shoes for various reasons, but a discount even to reflect a little wear is hard to pass up. Since you know your size in LWB, unless it is really very rare, you can pick that up later easily.
Now: do the SWB fit well? And do you really like them? Don't spend the money on a second choice just for the feeling of getting a deal.
Good luck and let us know what you pick
Edit: for pics of a #8 SWB look for El Argentino's photos in this thread. I recall some fairly casual. It can certainly be done.post #47495 of 1224164/3/13 at 5:12pmpost #47496 of 1224164/3/13 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrick_bQuote:
1/2 size up from barrie shoes i.e., TTS. I think it's rare but a few of us commented that the J. Crew PCT required sizing up from other barrie shoes. Good thing is that you can try on in store if you are have a J. Crew that carries Alden (Boston or NYC IIRC) or order both and return at any J. Crew store.
I go the same as my other barrie lasted shoes. Not nearly a big enough difference to go tts, for me at least.post #47497 of 1224164/3/13 at 5:21pmpost #47498 of 1224164/3/13 at 5:24pmpost #47499 of 1224164/3/13 at 5:29pmQuote:
Nah, I had to sell two captoe models (color 8 from Alden SF and ravello from Unionmade) due to the narrower fit. The socks didn't make a differencepost #47500 of 1224164/3/13 at 5:33pmpost #47501 of 1224164/3/13 at 6:08pm
I am a 9.5E in Barrie but I can wear 10D in a lot of Barrie models (my whiskey chukkas are 10D for example). However the Barrie captoe boots in 10D were uncomfortably narrow.
People have reported the same issue with Tanker boots. My 9.5E tankers fit but do run a bit narrower in the toe than longwings and chukkas.post #47502 of 1224164/3/13 at 6:13pmQuote:
I respectfully disagree with the versatility argument. Because it is an oxford/balmoral, it looks as though it should be paired with more dressy attire; to me it's out of place with jeans, although the broguing makes it more doable. While it may have a more sleek profile, the tremont last has a big rounded toe which makes the shoe look more noticeably bulbus, which in my opinion negates the sleek profile.
On the other hand, I should explain that I very much like the slightly bulky look of the barrie last, and the bigger rounded looking toe of the tremont doesn't bother me a bit. I like the 974 (and my whiskey version), but I do not wear it with jeans. I do however, wear the LWB with dressier attire (some suits) and casual wear as well. Thus, the LWB is much more versatile imho.post #47503 of 1224164/3/13 at 6:17pmpost #47504 of 1224164/3/13 at 6:50pmpost #47505 of 1224164/3/13 at 7:22pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 6 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 7 seconds ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 30 seconds ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 47 seconds ago
- › 9D - Alden for Tassels Color 8 Shell Cordovan V-Tip Blucher -... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 11 minutes ago
- › 8.5D - Alden For Brooks Brothers Shell Cordovan PTB - Shipped... 11 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 14 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 16 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 20 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...