Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3105post #46561 of 1224163/22/13 at 1:56pmNow, it's been a while since I've worn shell - and this is the first time I gave the Barrie last a second chance after all these years... anyhow - the fit was spot on when I first put them on this morning and obviously I've since settled into the shoe and it's become much roomier. What are some things you Barrie experts usually do? I noticed this is more evident in my shell shoes. My grants felt really big too....post #46562 of 1224163/22/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by david3558
Now, it's been a while since I've worn shell - and this is the first time I gave the Barrie last a second chance after all these years... anyhow - the fit was spot on when I first put them on this morning and obviously I've since settled into the shoe and it's become much roomier. What are some things you Barrie experts usually do? I noticed this is more evident in my shell shoes. My grants felt really big too....
On some barrie LWB I can double up on thin dress socks to take up the volume. If you have slightly thicker socks this would work also. I find this preferable to insoles as it does not cause the heel to slip up. Tape a tongue pad in there as another experiment.post #46563 of 1224163/22/13 at 2:37pmpost #46564 of 1224163/22/13 at 2:43pmpost #46565 of 1224163/22/13 at 2:45pmPERFECT, speaking of C&J... (xpost)
So I have some fit questions to come to you pros with...
I am typically a 9D - flatter, somewhat wide feet due to a lower arch. Low volume foot too, as in it's not super thick!
Anyhow enough about my feet - today I went to RL to try on Marlows and I tried on the 8.5 and 9 in the PTB offering, and a 9 in the SWB.
While the 9's both fit pretty well as far as width goes, the length was a bit much my foot slid forward. However in the 8.5 everything BUT the width was perfect. I just felt my pinky toes were a bit cramped. I don't know if that's something that will be able to somewhat get stretched out with wear, what do you all think?
(Included picture)post #46566 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:05pmpost #46567 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:08pmpost #46568 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:17pmpost #46569 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:17pmpost #46570 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:22pmpost #46571 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:31pmI don't think it will work out. Shell is more dense and less likely to stretch. If it were any other part but your toes, maybe it would be worth it. I have some that are tight in the morning around the ball of my foot but they relax with the heat of my foot and are fine after an hour, but toes are a different story.
My toes are far too sensitive to be mashing them up against the inside of a shoe.
This is the exact reason I'm selling my 11.5C #8 LWB on the classified section. I tried the C because of the better heel fit, but after several hours of wear and natural foot swell, my toes starting rubbing in the exact spot you illustrate. It's terrible.
Don't do it, man! Your toes aren't worth the sacrifice of the beautiful shoes!post #46572 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:35pmpost #46573 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:40pmQuote:
My Marlows are considerably darker than those. Interesting .....post #46574 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I am a big fan of the RL cordovan line but these Cigar brixtons have this battle won
The best of this bunch is the snuff Conley boot. I have previously not purchased these because there were no E widths - that's no longer an issue...
I have sold my marble suede Indy boots, but they did get a lot of compliments when I did wear them.
On the whole I easily prefer Alden shell to any other. However, here I'd give the nod to the Lindrick, if on nothing but fit alone. I have a love/hate relationship with the Barrie - some models great; some not so great. Put the Brixton on the Plaza and we'll revisit this issue.post #46575 of 1224163/22/13 at 3:52pmI can wear 10D in Marlows and wear 9.5E in Barrie...
My Marlows were tighter initially but have broken in to be a pretty comfortable shoe. However Barrie shoes are more comfortable out of the box
I've said it multiple times, I highly recommend Marlow wingtips, I wear them probably the most out of all my cordovan shoes.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 1 minute ago
- › RRL BNWT charcoal double faced wool peacoat. Size Medium 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for dress shirts that are of the same quality of Brooks... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › BNIB Edward Green Malvern (size 7.5/8) 202 last 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...