or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3024  

post #45346 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbc0919 View Post

Looking for some first hand experience here. It's time for a bit of wax for my Ravello LWBs. They are definitely that red leaning ravello and I want to keep it that way. I've heard others here indicate that they use Alden brown but I just can't see how the brown used for cigar can be used on ravello without significantly darkening the color. What are others experiences? Anyone use Kiwi? Tan, light tan, mid tan? What about Saphir neutral Cordovan cream? How's it different then renovateur?

Ive found that wax polish adds very little color especially in the small amounts that I use with shell.
post #45347 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post


this. always saphir neutral cordovan for me. on cigar, color 8, ravello. doesn't matter. only cordovan color i use a pigmented creme on is black.

 

I dunno, the pamplet that comes with Alden shell cordovans states this: 

 

"Do not use a neutral color polish as it will leave a white film as you wear your cordovan shoes."

post #45348 of 122416
NOT for sale:

I'm looking to swap a much coveted Leather Soul make-up. Alden Cigar Shell WT boots on Plaza last size 8..Looking too trade for same in size 8.5. I'm hoping that maybe one of the LS guys will see this and perhaps recall a customer whose size 8.5's are a bit too big....

Pics and ad posted in buy and sell
post #45349 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

I dunno, the pamplet that comes with Alden shell cordovans states this: 

"Do not use a neutral color polish as it will leave a white film as you wear your cordovan shoes."

not true. many people in this thread endorse neutral. and that goes more for wax. alden also says never to use a creme polish on shell and i'd argue more than 50% of the people in this thread use reno, which is a creme cleaner/polish.
post #45350 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post


not true. many people in this thread endorse neutral. and that goes more for wax. alden also says never to use a creme polish on shell and i'd argue more than 50% of the people in this thread use reno, which is a creme cleaner/polish.

Saphir Renovateur is certainly not a polish. It's a conditioner. 

 

Anything neutral, with wax would have the potential of leaving a white film after it dries/mixes in and cream polishes do have some wax. Not as much as a paste wax polish though, granted. 

 

I rather listen to Alden. 


Edited by phototristan - 3/11/13 at 4:54pm
post #45351 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

Saphir Renovateur is certainly not a polish. It's a conditioner. 

it's a cleaner/conditioner, which is technically worse because it has turpentine in it, and while the amounts are trace, turpentine is what alden wants you to avoid on shell.
post #45352 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post


it's a cleaner/conditioner, which is technically worse because it has turpentine in it, and while the amounts are trace, turpentine is what alden wants you to avoid on shell.

Which is why you should use it sparingly. Wiping with a damp cloth and brushing should be the go to remedy for shell

post #45353 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

Which is why you should use it sparingly. Wiping with a damp cloth and brushing should be the go to remedy for shell

exactly which further reinforces my point that just because alden says something is wrong, doesn't mean it's wrong.
post #45354 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post


exactly which further reinforces my point that just because alden says something is wrong, doesn't mean it's wrong.

 

You seem to be confused. Nowhere does Alden say Saphir Reno on shells is wrong. They say a neutral polish is. The two are not the same. 

post #45355 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post


not true. many people in this thread endorse neutral. and that goes more for wax. alden also says never to use a creme polish on shell and i'd argue more than 50% of the people in this thread use reno, which is a creme cleaner/polish.

Saphir Renovateur is certainly not a polish. It's a conditioner. 

 

Anything neutral, with wax would have the potential of leaving a white film after it dries/mixes in and cream polishes do have some wax. Not as much as a paste wax polish though, granted. 

 

I rather listen to Alden. 


+1

post #45356 of 122416
I have Reno, Alden/Kiwi paste wax and Alden cordovan cream... Depending on the situation I will just use one, or use them in some combo. I think the rule to use color sparingly is good but sometimes cordovan could use a good paste wax or cream application. My cigar boots look the best after a light application of Alden's brown wax. The most important step is to brush and buff regularly regardless of what you use
post #45357 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

The most important step is to brush and buff regularly regardless of what you use
What he said! +1
post #45358 of 122416

Today, my BB Alden PTBs, Black Shell, before treatment of some Venetian:

 

post #45359 of 122416

ravello day tripper x leffot

 

 

 

I had to decide between the daytripper and ravello wtb. I chose these because: 1. already have the ravello lwb, and 2. the grant last is easier for me to dress up.

post #45360 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

ravello day tripper x leffot







I had to decide between the daytripper and ravello wtb. I chose these because: 1. already have the ravello lwb, and 2. the grant last is easier for me to dress up.
Wow, those are some great looking boots.
Wear in good health sir.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.