or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 3005  

post #45061 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Risking even more sacrilege and the eternal rath of the high priests of the holy Alden faith what is it specifically about the Ralph Lauren cordovan wingtip that inspires even the most avid of shell admirers? I've only seen the shoes on someone else's feet. I own some Alden LWB's so I'm wondering what differences in build quality between the two shoes are people referring to? Are they worth the extra Benjamin and change more than some Alden cigar LWB's? And, at 850 bones that's only a half step away from a "G". If a guys cool with paying close to a $1K for one pair of shoes, and he doesn't have some kind of restrictive medical condition, why not go all the way and get made to order. Just axing a question.

There is little to know difference in "build quality" between Alden and CJ. CJ finishes their shoes just slightly nicer in their bench grade (which the Darlton is). The handgrades are indeed "nicer" than Alden, though I have yet to love the aesthetic coming out of CJ. Too "sleek" for me.

I'll take cigar LWB over the Darlton all day every day.

If you love Alden but want to consider moving "on or up" from them, check out Carmina or Vass.
post #45062 of 122416

Question on the BB vs stock LHS:  Are there any differences between the two beside the BB version being unlined and not having the rows of stitching around the "tongue."  It seems that the stock #986 has a wider heel/outsole (and a more substantial shoe in general), perhaps because of a different welt, but I'm having a hard time determining that from these photos.  If anyone has experience with the two models, I'd appreciate your input, sizing included.

BB:

 

986:

 

 

 

post #45063 of 122416

I've got both.  1 Pair unlined, 2 lined.  Never noticed that there was a difference other than the lining, and the stitching on the tongue that necessarily goes with it.  Unlined 9.5D (TTS), Lined 9C.  Maybe could have gone smaller with the unlined, but the 9.5D works fine.  Could not have gone larger with the lined, as I tried when I was dialing in.  Started 9.5D, then tried 9D, finally arrived at 9C.

 

 

 

The length seems pretty similar despite being different sizes. At times I have wondered if BB adjusts their sizing .5 size to compensate for the spacious nature of the Van.

 

Good Luck

 

Edit:  I recommend the Unlined where possible.  Pardon the inappropriateness of my analogy, but the unlined feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of shell shoes.  (even if you have socks on).  The lined version feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of wooden clogs, at least until they are well broken-in.  (Even with socks on).

 

(and yes, I do know from experience because I have actually tried it!  I don't recommend it however, as its a great way to spread disease, like athletes...

 

...well, nevermind)


Edited by Bakes11771 - 3/7/13 at 2:17pm
post #45064 of 122416

wow. Glad you keep your socks on

post #45065 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I've got both.  1 Pair unlined, 2 lined.  Never noticed that there was a difference other than the lining, and the stitching on the tongue that necessarily goes with it.  Unlined 9.5D (TTS), Lined 9C.  Maybe could have gone smaller with the unlined, but the 9.5D works fine.  Could not have gone larger with the lined, as I tried when I was dialing in.  Started 9.5D, then tried 9D, finally arrived at 9C. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)










The length seems pretty similar despite being different sizes. At times I have wondered if BB adjusts their sizing .5 size to compensate for the spacious nature of the Van.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Good Luck

Edit:  I recommend the Unlined where possible.  Pardon the inappropriateness of my analogy, but the unlined feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of shell shoes.  (even if you have socks on).  The lined version feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of wooden clogs, at least until they are well broken-in.  (Even with socks on).

(and yes, I do know from experience because I have actually tried it!  I don't recommend it however, as its a great way to spread disease, like athletes...

...well, nevermind)

This is so interesting, because I know people like sevenfoldtieguy say they take the same size in the stock Alden version as the BB unlined version.
post #45066 of 122416
double post
post #45067 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post


This is so interesting, because I know people like sevenfoldtieguy say they take the same size in the stock Alden version as the BB unlined version.

Yes, I've seen others mention that as well, which just adds to the mystery.

 

Ryden, I always leave my socks on, even when riding bareback.

 

(Ok, Enough, sorry for the pre-emptive snarkyness)

post #45068 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunw View Post

dang you are awesome! I'm all set now. I think the problem was that I had a member acct and a corporate acct and the member acct was my default. All set thanks!!

Excellent. I edited my post to remind people to make sure that their corporate account number address is the default address.

It doesn't seem to stick.
I made the corporate address the default, logged out, then checked again.
Default went back to the member address.
post #45069 of 122416
Which boot is ultimately sleeker and more versatile for a #8 color cap toe? I may be considering a pair for jeans and chino/pants.

Alden plaza last cap toe or BB Peal Cordovan cap toe?
post #45070 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

It doesn't seem to stick.
I made the corporate address the default, logged out, then checked again.
Default went back to the member address.

Eff. But at least we know the resolution, right? (Manually going in and changing it.)
post #45071 of 122416

Just called BB Customer service to get some answers on how to use the corporate discount online.  They said I had to call back tomorrow because the corporate discount folks leave at 5, so I'll report back with my findings.  Don't worry, I'm not going to blow the lid off our scheme of adding Aldens to the cart before midnight, just trying to figure out why my test run isn't working when my profile says my corporate discount is set up and ready for online shopping.

post #45072 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

This is so interesting, because I know people like sevenfoldtieguy say they take the same size in the stock Alden version as the BB unlined version.

That is correct. biggrin.gif

9C in whiskey lined
9C in color 8 BB unlined
post #45073 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

There is little to know difference in "build quality" between Alden and CJ. CJ finishes their shoes just slightly nicer in their bench grade (which the Darlton is). The handgrades are indeed "nicer" than Alden, though I have yet to love the aesthetic coming out of CJ. Too "sleek" for me.

I'll take cigar LWB over the Darlton all day every day.

If you love Alden but want to consider moving "on or up" from them, check out Carmina or Vass.

I see your point... it is just that the Carmina Fitzgerald is $825 and that price point will take some getting used to...at least for.
post #45074 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post


It doesn't seem to stick.
I made the corporate address the default, logged out, then checked again.
Default went back to the member address.

The only way you can tell if the Corp discount is in there is to put an item in your cart and go through the checkout until you get to the last step.  You will see the 15% discount taken off.

If you see that you will be all set and it will ring 30% on that day.

post #45075 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitedge View Post

Which boot is ultimately sleeker and more versatile for a #8 color cap toe? I may be considering a pair for jeans and chino/pants.

Alden plaza last cap toe or BB Peal Cordovan cap toe?

Go with Alden Plaza. nod[1].gif

I have - or should I say had - both. biggrin.gif My BB Peal captoe boots by C&J were returned by me as defective as the shell finish/dye/whatever was rubbing off. There were places on the boot where the coloring was becoming streaky. Weird. I was given a refund without incident. This is the second pair of said BB boots I have had in my possession that had this issue. The first pair was returned by me before I wore them outside - I just wasn't liking what I was seeing (I had laced them around the back of the boot and the same streakiness was present). A few months later I tried my hand at a second pair thinking that the first pair was an anomaly. No dice. So I went 0 for 2. And the first pair arrived with Dainite and the second pair arrived with double leather????? And I like C&J shell, and have other models I like just fine - Marlow, Bradford, etc.

But on top of the above experience, the Alden Plaza is more sleek and Alden's color 8, IMO, is a much better dark burgundy - much better - than C&J's burgundy shell.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.