or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2992  

post #44866 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

So i'm taking the plunge on the straight tip blucher in #8...

i wear 11d in barrie shoes, and am thinking that i should just get 11e in the aberdeen. the barrie has always felt a hair too big but 10.5d is too small for sure.


thoughts on this logic?

This is my logic with Alden. 11.5D Barrie, Trubalance, Van (sockless) 11.5E in every other last.

Rather than go up .5 i always go "out" one width.
post #44867 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

This is my logic with Alden. 11.5D Barrie, Trubalance, Van (sockless) 11.5E in every other last.

Rather than go up .5 i always go "out" one width.

this is great advice
post #44868 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

So i'm taking the plunge on the straight tip blucher in #8...

i wear 11d in barrie shoes, and am thinking that i should just get 11e in the aberdeen. the barrie has always felt a hair too big but 10.5d is too small for sure.


thoughts on this logic?


That may work for you, but I go 10D in barrie and 10.5D in aberdeen.  Some of my barrie LWBs can feel spacious, but I'm the same way; 9.5D barrie couldn't work.  The 10.5D aberdeen (half up) fits perfectly in my medallion cap toe bluchers.  I'd suggest half up from the barrie, but it would probably be best to try the different options.

 

Good luck...

post #44869 of 122416
Just a psa

Unionmade has color 8 Indy boots.
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Buchanan_Indy_Boot_in_Color_8_Cordovan_40476H_8819.html

My last two Alden purchases have been color 8, and the only regret I have is that I didn't order them sooner.
post #44870 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post


i have not. im ok with 11d in barrie, more just asking if 11e in aberdeen seems like a good call.

i have the whiskey bals from alden ny in 11d and can wear them fine, though they are a little snug, but not uncomfortable.

FWIW, (and assuming your whiskey bals are hampton)  I'm 9D in Hampton and Aberdeen.  The Aberdeens are comfortably snug all abound.  The Hamptons have some wiggle room.  Maybe go up from your hampton size in either width or length (depending on where they are a little snug) based on my experience.

 

Good Luck

post #44871 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1185 View Post

Just a psa

Unionmade has color 8 Indy boots.
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Buchanan_Indy_Boot_in_Color_8_Cordovan_40476H_8819.html

My last two Alden purchases have been color 8, and the only regret I have is that I didn't order them sooner.

 

personally i don't see the appeal of the plantation sole.

post #44872 of 122416
^ crepe soles are the most comfortable outsole that alden offers- its combines the stability of the double leather, the flexibility of a flex welt and the grib of rubber. wears down faster, though. oh and it looks crazy.gif
post #44873 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusttruffle View Post

personally i don't see the appeal of the plantation sole.

Was going to say the same thing. While it might be somewhat viable on a shoe, on a boot it's a real no-go for me.
post #44874 of 122416

str1185:

 

My last two Alden purchases have been color 8, and the only regret I have is that I didn't order them sooner.

 

ReppTiePrepster:

Color 8 has become my favorite shell option. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

LWB, PTB, tassel moc, medallion cap toe blucher, and Perf Cap Toe Boot (J Crew) complete my color 8 collection.  Looking to add BB wingtip bal, BB PTB, and wingtip boot (barrie) in color 8.  Not sure what the time frame will be though. frown.gif  Could be a loooong time.  Trying to summon the will to go with the BB wingtip bal by tomorrow to take advantage of their sale. Not sure I can justify two new shell purchases in one month.

 

Wait, it's now March and a new month!  lol8[1].gif

post #44875 of 122416

curious to get you gents opinion on my jcrew #8 lwb crepe that I received today..

 

my end goal was to try and put together a natural/antiqued welt/sole on the #8 lwb (like the current Leffot preorder, minus welt).. I figure'd I'd get the jcrew crepe and then get the sole changed out (and taps installed) at B.Nelson..

 

now that the jcrews have arrived, I've discovered the online pic is incorrect (the jcrew is dark welt)..

 

at this point, I could just get regular #8 lwb and sand the edges (keeping the welt dark) or resole the jcrew crepes with a standard sole..

 

cost wise, I'm only in for the jcrews at $555. would need to still ship to B.Nelson for sole changeout

or buy regular #8 leather sole and just sand edges

 

or, just forget about it and wear the crepe and use at 'beaters'

 

thoughts?

post #44876 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

curious to get you gents opinion on my jcrew #8 lwb crepe that I received today..

my end goal was to try and put together a natural/antiqued welt/sole on the #8 lwb (like the current Leffot preorder, minus welt).. I figure'd I'd get the jcrew crepe and then get the sole changed out (and taps installed) at B.Nelson..

now that the jcrews have arrived, I've discovered the online pic is incorrect (the jcrew is dark welt)..

at this point, I could just get regular #8 lwb and sand the edges (keeping the welt dark) or resole the jcrew crepes with a standard sole..

cost wise, I'm only in for the jcrews at $555. would need to still ship to B.Nelson for sole changeout
or buy regular #8 leather sole and just sand edges

or, just forget about it and wear the crepe and use at 'beaters'

thoughts?

Send back.
Acquire the 975.
post #44877 of 122416
I was burned by those #8 J Crews with the dark welt a couple months ago when they first came out. I was pissed and I just returned them. If I didn't already have regular leather sole 975s I might have kept them.
post #44878 of 122416
post #44879 of 122416
Scanning EBay tonight: saw an 11.5 Modified Last Ravello plain-toe boot from Anatomica. Started at $850. uhoh.gif

...

drool.gif
post #44880 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Dainite wears well and it allows for a rubber sole on a dress shoe that is hardly noticeable (less noticeable than Alden's commando sole, which I also like). Because it is rubber, it provides for easier wear in wet conditions when compared to a leather soled shoe (light snow or melting snow on the ground; after a rain). I am awaiting a leather to Dainite conversion on a pair of black shell PTBs. I suspect they will be arriving in the next couple of days - courtesy of BNelson. Alden's commando sole has better grip IMO.

How does Dainite feel relative to a double leather sole? Is it any more or less comfortable? Also, does it tend to last longer than a double leather sole?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.