Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 10:07 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2914post #43696 of 1224162/19/13 at 2:30pmpost #43697 of 1224162/19/13 at 4:46pmpost #43698 of 1224162/19/13 at 6:06pmpost #43699 of 1224162/19/13 at 6:08pmpost #43700 of 1224162/19/13 at 6:58pmpost #43701 of 1224162/19/13 at 8:12pm
I'm hoping my baccalaureate education in all things Alden can continue. This time, I'm attempting to stave off my preoccupation about yesterday's whiskey shell LHS purchase by contemplating the purchase of a pair of chukkas. I haven't owned chukkas, but get the sense they would complement my collection, which leans more toward short- and longwing bluchers, a couple of bals, an indy boot, a shell #8 cap toe boot, some chelsea boots and a partridge in a pear tree. I have a few questions and am hoping various folks might be able to shed some light on my chukka ignorance. I'll start with general questions and try to get more specific:
First of all, what are the general indications for the wearing of a chukka boot? I recall seeing a recent post in which a dapper gentleman paired ravello chukkas nicely with a navy (IIRC) suit. He might be much cooler than I, so not sure if this is a less common example of chukka usage. I'm assuming jeans, cords and chinos are a go. Sportcoat or blazer ok? No socks? Shorts? Or would the latter be J.Crew-trying-too-hard...? Another way I'm thinking about this question in light of the recent attempt at the LHS: is there too much overlap between the LHS and chukka domains?
Next question: if chukka, then which type of chukka (yes, I know, it could be like Pokemon: gotta catch 'em all) if only restricted to one. My initial leaning is to go suede to provide a nice counterbalance to a lineup of mostly regular calf, CXL, and shell 8. I have recently bought, but have not yet found occasion to wear the J Crew LWB in snuff suede (which I am proud to report I got at a 25% discount on) due to east coast ugly weather as of late. Given the JCrew suede LWB, is a suede chukka competing for the same weather days or is it different enough formality-wise to justify getting another suede shoe?
If suede, then which one? Dark brown, medium brown or snuff? I was thinking medium, but am open to being dissuaded based on your experiences...
If not suede, do you guys ever find the shells too formal for a chukka? Why not just go with a shell blucher or bal-type shoe? Similarly, how do you guys wear your calfskin chukkas?
Another way I'm thinking about this is by addressing the issue of which last to buy. My scan of the various retailers basically revealed that there are barries, leydons and a plaza (via JGilbert IIRC). I like my barrie-lasted LWBs, but I know I tend to rely on tying the laces tighter toward the back of the shoe to prevent my ankle slipping out of my 8.5Ds. Can anyone confirm that one wouldn't have as much of this luxury in a barrie-lasted chukka given you only have two pairs of eyelets instead of 5? Does anyone suggest the Leydons because of the sleekness factor? Or do you say Leydon because you like the flex welt? Btw, how are you guys sizing the Leydon? If I'm a 9D Grant and and 8.5 Barrie, am I staying TTS for Leydon? Changing widths?
Lined or unlined? Lastly, does anyone own a commando-soled chukka? The UnionMade shell 8 chukkas seemed interesting with the commandos, but I wasn't sure if it was too tough-looking a shoe to wear with lighter fabrics in the summer (e.g., a linen suit, lightweight summer chinos, etc).
Sorry for the long post. You guys have created a monster...post #43702 of 1224162/19/13 at 8:32pm
I'm hoping you guys can help me keep things simple. Having bought a bunch of these shoes recently, I'd like to get a kit set up to start maintaining these shoes properly from the get-go. Yes, I've done my reading on Uncle's method and have tried to wade through all gazillion pages of the official shoe care thread. I've spent a couple hours on the Hanger Project, but I'm now in system overload and trying to make sure I get the right starter kit:
Here's some of what I have or I'm planning to buy. Please let me know what I should add or subtract:
- Alden leather defender - when exactly do you use this? Some guys say pretreat all shoes with it. Other guys spritz just before going out on a cloudy day. Can I just use a spray "waterproofer" from a regular store?
-Saphir Renovateur. A sure thing. Question is: how many units should I buy (esp knowing my wife is going to hit me up to maintain her Frye boots as well).
- Alden shoe paste - do I need all 3 (i.e., tan, brown and black)? I have brown CXL indys and LWBs, a couple color 8s and hopefully, a whiskey shell LHS.
- is the boot paste I've seen on some sites necessary or at all different from the shoe paste?
- cordovan polish - some say yes, Mac seems to remind us to keep it simple and use paste wax sparingly. My instinct says just default to the Mac method...The shoe care thread guys sometimes say otherwise when it comes to shell
- Saphir polishes - do I need cream AND wax? or just one? (there's a line in Coming to America that McDowell says to Eddie Murphy's character as he condescendingly supervises the Prince of Zamunda's mopping of the floor- "don't use the bucket, it'll just confuse you...")
- renomat leather cleaner - will i need this if I start off taking care of the shoes properly and don't gunk them up with random stuff like the kiwi saddle soap I bought tons of from the grocery store last year before you guys got me on the right path
-suede products - all the reading I did just confused me on this one. Do I get a spray and the gommadin rubber eraser thingy?
-Or am I just better off leaving all this crap to a cobbler, if I can ever find one I would trust with my little darlings...
Thanks, as always, for your help and ideas!!post #43703 of 1224162/19/13 at 8:58pmpost #43704 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:06pmpost #43705 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:07pmpost #43706 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:09pmpost #43707 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:28pmpost #43708 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:45pmpost #43709 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:48pmpost #43710 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:51pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 56 seconds ago
- › Alden Men's Leisure Handsewn Shell Cordovan 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 5 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 6 minutes ago
- › Wedding tuxedo help 6 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Styleforum's "Just what Santa should have brought" Viberg GMTO... 7 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway