Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 4:45 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2914post #43696 of 1224162/19/13 at 2:30pmpost #43697 of 1224162/19/13 at 4:46pmpost #43698 of 1224162/19/13 at 6:06pmpost #43699 of 1224162/19/13 at 6:08pmpost #43700 of 1224162/19/13 at 6:58pmpost #43701 of 1224162/19/13 at 8:12pm
I'm hoping my baccalaureate education in all things Alden can continue. This time, I'm attempting to stave off my preoccupation about yesterday's whiskey shell LHS purchase by contemplating the purchase of a pair of chukkas. I haven't owned chukkas, but get the sense they would complement my collection, which leans more toward short- and longwing bluchers, a couple of bals, an indy boot, a shell #8 cap toe boot, some chelsea boots and a partridge in a pear tree. I have a few questions and am hoping various folks might be able to shed some light on my chukka ignorance. I'll start with general questions and try to get more specific:
First of all, what are the general indications for the wearing of a chukka boot? I recall seeing a recent post in which a dapper gentleman paired ravello chukkas nicely with a navy (IIRC) suit. He might be much cooler than I, so not sure if this is a less common example of chukka usage. I'm assuming jeans, cords and chinos are a go. Sportcoat or blazer ok? No socks? Shorts? Or would the latter be J.Crew-trying-too-hard...? Another way I'm thinking about this question in light of the recent attempt at the LHS: is there too much overlap between the LHS and chukka domains?
Next question: if chukka, then which type of chukka (yes, I know, it could be like Pokemon: gotta catch 'em all) if only restricted to one. My initial leaning is to go suede to provide a nice counterbalance to a lineup of mostly regular calf, CXL, and shell 8. I have recently bought, but have not yet found occasion to wear the J Crew LWB in snuff suede (which I am proud to report I got at a 25% discount on) due to east coast ugly weather as of late. Given the JCrew suede LWB, is a suede chukka competing for the same weather days or is it different enough formality-wise to justify getting another suede shoe?
If suede, then which one? Dark brown, medium brown or snuff? I was thinking medium, but am open to being dissuaded based on your experiences...
If not suede, do you guys ever find the shells too formal for a chukka? Why not just go with a shell blucher or bal-type shoe? Similarly, how do you guys wear your calfskin chukkas?
Another way I'm thinking about this is by addressing the issue of which last to buy. My scan of the various retailers basically revealed that there are barries, leydons and a plaza (via JGilbert IIRC). I like my barrie-lasted LWBs, but I know I tend to rely on tying the laces tighter toward the back of the shoe to prevent my ankle slipping out of my 8.5Ds. Can anyone confirm that one wouldn't have as much of this luxury in a barrie-lasted chukka given you only have two pairs of eyelets instead of 5? Does anyone suggest the Leydons because of the sleekness factor? Or do you say Leydon because you like the flex welt? Btw, how are you guys sizing the Leydon? If I'm a 9D Grant and and 8.5 Barrie, am I staying TTS for Leydon? Changing widths?
Lined or unlined? Lastly, does anyone own a commando-soled chukka? The UnionMade shell 8 chukkas seemed interesting with the commandos, but I wasn't sure if it was too tough-looking a shoe to wear with lighter fabrics in the summer (e.g., a linen suit, lightweight summer chinos, etc).
Sorry for the long post. You guys have created a monster...post #43702 of 1224162/19/13 at 8:32pm
I'm hoping you guys can help me keep things simple. Having bought a bunch of these shoes recently, I'd like to get a kit set up to start maintaining these shoes properly from the get-go. Yes, I've done my reading on Uncle's method and have tried to wade through all gazillion pages of the official shoe care thread. I've spent a couple hours on the Hanger Project, but I'm now in system overload and trying to make sure I get the right starter kit:
Here's some of what I have or I'm planning to buy. Please let me know what I should add or subtract:
- Alden leather defender - when exactly do you use this? Some guys say pretreat all shoes with it. Other guys spritz just before going out on a cloudy day. Can I just use a spray "waterproofer" from a regular store?
-Saphir Renovateur. A sure thing. Question is: how many units should I buy (esp knowing my wife is going to hit me up to maintain her Frye boots as well).
- Alden shoe paste - do I need all 3 (i.e., tan, brown and black)? I have brown CXL indys and LWBs, a couple color 8s and hopefully, a whiskey shell LHS.
- is the boot paste I've seen on some sites necessary or at all different from the shoe paste?
- cordovan polish - some say yes, Mac seems to remind us to keep it simple and use paste wax sparingly. My instinct says just default to the Mac method...The shoe care thread guys sometimes say otherwise when it comes to shell
- Saphir polishes - do I need cream AND wax? or just one? (there's a line in Coming to America that McDowell says to Eddie Murphy's character as he condescendingly supervises the Prince of Zamunda's mopping of the floor- "don't use the bucket, it'll just confuse you...")
- renomat leather cleaner - will i need this if I start off taking care of the shoes properly and don't gunk them up with random stuff like the kiwi saddle soap I bought tons of from the grocery store last year before you guys got me on the right path
-suede products - all the reading I did just confused me on this one. Do I get a spray and the gommadin rubber eraser thingy?
-Or am I just better off leaving all this crap to a cobbler, if I can ever find one I would trust with my little darlings...
Thanks, as always, for your help and ideas!!post #43703 of 1224162/19/13 at 8:58pmpost #43704 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:06pmpost #43705 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:07pmpost #43706 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:09pmpost #43707 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:28pmpost #43708 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:45pmpost #43709 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:48pmpost #43710 of 1224162/19/13 at 9:51pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread 37 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 47 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 1 minute ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › Romano martegani shoes 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 6 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts