Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:13 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 2882post #43216 of 1224162/10/13 at 9:27pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #43217 of 1224162/10/13 at 9:39pmQuote:
Looks as if you are definitely enjoying these. Beauties. Is the inner panel on the left boot still lighter ?post #43218 of 1224162/10/13 at 10:12pmpost #43219 of 1224162/10/13 at 10:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by El Argentino
Alden Brethren - I've discovered a great secret of the Mac Method that I felt impressed to share today.
I've been struggling with water spots on my Cigar LWBs, and so after a few separate brush sessions, I decided to take a new approach to getting rid of these little things. Followed the method as best as I understand it:
Brush down with a slightly damp cloth.
Particularly rubbed the spots with a little extra "umph" with the damp cloth - not quite a scrub, but more forcefully than the rest of the shoe.
Let dry 2-3 minutes.
Lacking a deer bone, took a teaspoon and rubbed and rolled all over the spotted areas (mainly on the vamp), both pressing down with the spot, as well as rolling over them back and forth. I also used a swirling method to rub them from different angles. (I noticed that this closed up a particularly nasty scratch that I'd gotten on one of the shoes).
Let that sit for 1-2 minutes.
Applied a dose of Renovateur over each shoe separately, allowing the other shoe to set while I did the other.
- This is all normal and expected.
Here, at the brushing time, I did things a bit differently than in the past. Taking my horsehair brush to brush the Reno down in, I started using very heavy strokes of the brush to no avail - the shell still looked a little muddy and clouded. I lightened up the brush strokes (increasing speed/frequency and only allowing the very tip of the bristles to skim the shell) and it began to light up immediately and shine. I noticed the more I relied on friction generated by the brush on the shoe, the better and better it looked, and the more the Reno cleaned up. This is in stark contrast to heavy-handing the brushing, as I'd done previously, almost slathering the brush across the cordovan.
High, light, and fast - at times almost barely making contact. Each shoe for 3-5 minutes and they were sparkling.
So, if any are having issues with their method application, brush high and fast, and don't worry about applying actual pressure during brushing. Let the friction work for you rather than strength.
thank you for postingpost #43220 of 1224162/11/13 at 12:48ampost #43221 of 1224162/11/13 at 2:32amQuote:Originally Posted by mikeharo
Eagle, I treat my suede shoes. I've used whatever brand nordstroms carries in the past but lately I've been using ugg spray. I like the ugg spray better tha anything else I've tried. It keeps the nap up longer and makes the suede look fresher and cleaner. I avoid wearing suede in foul weather but in a light drizzle the ugg is also equal to others for water resistance.
Thanks for your reply.
But the spray contains silicone, I guess, which I try to avoid. Thus looking to some beeswax based protection. But that will obviously change the appearance of the suede. I know that it looks pretty good with roughout but not sure about the suede.post #43222 of 1224162/11/13 at 5:47am
Thank you, sir.
Thank you, sir.Quote:
Thank you, sir.Quote:Originally Posted by sazon
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)CTYGGG: These are stunning on so many different levels : the agatine eyelets, the light edge trim, the commando sole. It all comes together perfectly.
Thank you, sir.
Thanks you, sir.post #43223 of 1224162/11/13 at 5:51ampost #43224 of 1224162/11/13 at 6:05ampost #43225 of 1224162/11/13 at 6:42ampost #43226 of 1224162/11/13 at 6:43amQuote:
I noticed that the 2 eyelet unlined suede chukkas fit me much better than the 2 eyelet chromexcel chukka.post #43227 of 1224162/11/13 at 7:32ampost #43228 of 1224162/11/13 at 7:49ampost #43229 of 1224162/11/13 at 8:25amQuote:Originally Posted by indigoeagle
Thanks for your reply.
But the spray contains silicone, I guess, which I try to avoid. Thus looking to some beeswax based protection. But that will obviously change the appearance of the suede. I know that it looks pretty good with roughout but not sure about the suede.
I would not use HDLP on suede myself. I have a post in the Obenauf's thread with 4 treated boots in it, one of them started life as nubuck. It now looks like the top grain chrome tanned boot next to it.
Which is fine by me, nubuck has no place in a hunting or hiking boot IMO. Although the CXL still has its nap I don't think suede would over time. For suede I use Bickmore Gard More. It does not darken the suede at all and contains no silicone if that is what your after. It works very well.post #43230 of 1224162/11/13 at 9:03amJust wanted to come out of lurking with my first post here and say Hi and thanks to all of you for posting your pics on this forum. I have wanted a pair of Indy boots for awhile now and bought my first pair last week from Shoemart ( 403 Chromexel Indy) ... as a post divorce present to myself.... Loose a wife, get a boot... after finally receiving the boot I believe it to be a fair trade. Exceeded my expectations in every way and just ordered the natural chromexel ones to rotate with. ( I see the start of a problem developing)... Anyway just wanted to say thanks as I probably wouldn't have made the jump without seeing the enthusiasm you all bring to this thread..it seems to be catching.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 47 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Shibumi card holder... 4 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 14 minutes ago
- › Rubber soled shoes 15 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 16 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...